Currency

maggie2010

Can anyone tell me what currency is used in Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway? Is it Canadian or Us$. My mother & her friend will be spending time in Vancouver before & after cruises B2B but not sure if they will need US$ whilst cruising?

Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway are US dollars (all are in the state of Alaska). They can either get USD in Vancouver or at their first US port from an ATM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you both for your replies.

If you are in Skagway... and venture North into the Yukon.... they welcome something called a "loonie" and "toonie".

Credit cards make it easy to deal with currency exchanges and you don't need to worry about excess currency after your trip.

I love it. Somedays I turn on the TV and think we all live in "loonie". Little did I know its a currency too.

Keith

Yup :D The Canadian $1 coin has a picture of a loon on it and quickly acquired the "Loonie" nickname. So Toonie flowed naturally from that, when the $2 coin was introduced.

For visitors to Canada, the $1 coin is one colour. The $2 coin is two colours. That's the easiest way to tell them apart. (Your helpful hint for today :D )

We've done two land trips in Australia, and I've always found it interesting how many times Aussies thought that Alaska is part of Canada. But what was more surprising was that on a cruise about two years ago we met a man onboard who was Canadian, and he thought that Alaska was part of Canada!

We've done two land trips in Australia, and I've always found it interesting how many times Aussies thought that Alaska is part of Canada. But what was more surprising was that on a cruise about two years ago we met a man onboard who was Canadian, and he thought that Alaska was part of Canada!

We did an RV trip around the US many years ago. There were a few folks from the US that also thought Alaska was part of Canada. A bit sad really.

We've done two land trips in Australia, and I've always found it interesting how many times Aussies thought that Alaska is part of Canada.

Sarah Palin sorted that out for Aussies. ;)

Edited by Pushka

I wonder if some think it's Russia with the comment from your former Governor of seeing Russia.

Keith

In the 80's I did a high school trip to Europe - one of those 6 countries in 6 week things. Our group was paired up with an Alaskan group. It blew me away how many people thought in Europe that Alaska was still a part of Russia. Their history of Alaska must have stopped before the 1900's. Granted, my European history probably wasn't the best so I shouldn't judge them but it was funny to see the Alaskans arguing with the Europeans over this (yes, really Alaska is part of the US, no we are not Communists or Soviets).

Can anyone tell me what currency is used in Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway? Is it Canadian or Us$. My mother & her friend will be spending time in Vancouver before & after cruises B2B but not sure if they will need US$ whilst cruising?

It would be helpful if they can Canadian money in Vancouver and if they go to the Yukon from Skagway.

In Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and other Alaskan ports - US currency is needed. There are ATM machines in all the major ports. Credit cards are readily accepted here.

I wonder if some think it's Russia with the comment from your former Governor of seeing Russia.

Keith

I don't know what her comment was but Alaska and Russia are separated by only 50 miles across the Bering Strait. There are also two islands in the Bering Strait, Big Diomede and Little Diomede. Big Diomede is owned by Russia and Little Diomede is owned by the U.S. They are less than 3 miles apart. The international border and the international dateline passes between them.

Today's trivia tidbit. :)

I don't know what her comment was but Alaska and Russia are separated by only 50 miles across the Bering Strait. There are also two islands in the Bering Strait, Big Diomede and Little Diomede. Big Diomede is owned by Russia and Little Diomede is owned by the U.S. They are less than 3 miles apart. The international border and the international dateline passes between them.
and does Palin live on one of those remote islands?

[YOUTUBE]RKrUdIkoJEU[/YOUTUBE]

The US dollar will be far more accepted in Vancouver than Canadian money in any of the Alaska ports.

can anyone tell me what currency is used in ketchikan, juneau & skagway? Is it canadian or us$. My mother & her friend will be spending time in vancouver before & after cruises b2b but not sure if they will need us$ whilst cruising?

us$

Today's trivia tidbit. :)

Her comment was about seeing Russia from her backyard in Wasilla - near Anchorage & not in view of Russia; hence, the staying power of the comment.

We're from the US and will drive to Vancouver then board the cruise ship from there the following day. Would an ATM in Vancouver be the best place/way to get $40-50 Canadian dollars?

I need cash tip money for the hotel cleaning person, the port baggage handler, and likely for ice cream in Carcross. I read about someone doing that for lunch during the drive from Skagway.