18 year old drinking waiver

Savmom9801

I was able to sign for my daughter's friend. It's my understanding that this is hit or miss though.

We weren't able to sign for my daughters friend. I have a different last name than my daughter and they asked for proof that she was my daughter, I did have all the paperwork, along with passports, I had birth certificates and marriage certificates. (I keep it all in a folder and bring it all if I am cruising with my kids). And after going through all that, my daughter decided she didn't like beer or wine, LOL!!

still can't have that mimosa as it has liquor in it and your 20 year old niece will only be allowed beer or wine if he mother approves.

Not true at all. My daughter and her friend both ordered Mimosas. There is no "liquor" in a mimosa. Only champagne and OJ.

I can't believe I'm jumping into this discussion but Champaign is alcohol and minors (anyone under age 21) can not order one in the U.S. Plus, in order to drink a mimosa on an NCL ship they need to have their parents authorization. And I know this to be true as on our Sky cruise last week we tried to drink Champagne in Cagney's on embarkation day to celebrate being on a cruise but our 19 yr old son, who we had authorized to be able to drink couldn't have Champaign or any alcohol until after we left the port. I'm now going back to eating my popcorn.

My then 15!year old twins who did not look 18 or even 16 were handed alcoholic beverages at a Haven party in Bliss.

They gave them back.

Before I could slap the waiter[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You all seem to forget one simple thing - it is THEIR cruiseline and THEY can set whatever rules they want. If they want to make the drinking age 25 on their ships, they can. If they don't want 18-21 year olds drinking without their parents actually being on the ship with them, that is for them to decide.

I always laugh when someone tries to play the "they can fight and die for their country at 18" card. They can, but most don't. DH was a weapons instructor for many years in the army. Trust me, 18 year olds are told when to eat, when to sleep, when to use the latrine and when to clean it.

I can't believe I'm jumping into this discussion but Champaign is alcohol and minors (anyone under age 21) can not order one in the U.S. Plus, in order to drink a mimosa on an NCL ship they need to have their parents authorization. And I know this to be true as on our Sky cruise last week we tried to drink Champagne in Cagney's on embarkation day to celebrate being on a cruise but our 19 yr old son, who we had authorized to be able to drink couldn't have Champaign or any alcohol until after we left the port. I'm now going back to eating my popcorn.

I think a PP confused a mimosa (with sparkling wine, so allowed with a parent waiver) with a screw driver (with vodka, so not allowed with a parent waiver.

Mimosa - yes

Screw driver - no

I think a PP confused a mimosa (with sparkling wine, so allowed with a parent waiver) with a screw driver (with vodka, so not allowed with a parent waiver.

Mimosa - yes

Screw driver - no

Oh, I get it. That would be correct. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

We weren't able to sign for my daughters friend. I have a different last name than my daughter and they asked for proof that she was my daughter, I did have all the paperwork, along with passports, I had birth certificates and marriage certificates. (I keep it all in a folder and bring it all if I am cruising with my kids). And after going through all that, my daughter decided she didn't like beer or wine, LOL!!

It was so strange, and I totally did not expect to be able to sign for her. I have a different last name than my daughter as well, and also had to produce her birth certificate ... the lady took it, copied it, and then gave me two forms to sign, and issued new cards for both my daughter and her friend! I really think it was just a fluke, and the woman was not paying attention to what she was doing.

I know 18 year olds who enlisted because their grades weren't good enough to get into a decent college. Fortunately, my kids are excellent students, college bound (oldest is a sophomore).

Just because they are excellent students doesn't mean that they will be more successful than someone who enlisted in the military.

I enlisted in the AF and picked a career that would allow me to make more than almost everyone I know who has a degree. I retired at age 49 with a full pension. My cousin, who is a schoolteacher, always used to ask me how it feels to make more money than someone with a degree. I always said that I loved it.

I loved working side-by-side with people who had 6 figure student loans because they went to ERAU to learn the same thing that I did in the Air Force.

My then 15!year old twins who did not look 18 or even 16 were handed alcoholic beverages at a Haven party in Bliss.

They gave them back.

Before I could slap the waiter[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One time we were at a party and my 12 year old came back with a drink she said tasted terrible. It was a rum and coke and she had ordered a Shirley temple. When I told the bartender he gave my 12 year old a rum and coke his reply was...she asked for it!

It really made me laugh

:)

Just because they are excellent students doesn't mean that they will be more successful than someone who enlisted in the military.

I enlisted in the AF and picked a career that would allow me to make more than almost everyone I know who has a degree. I retired at age 49 with a full pension. My cousin, who is a schoolteacher, always used to ask me how it feels to make more money than someone with a degree. I always said that I loved it.

I loved working side-by-side with people who had 6 figure student loans because they went to ERAU to learn the same thing that I did in the Air Force.

I see by your profile avatar that you are an Air Traffic Controller. Myself as well - 25 years now. Love to have a drink with you if we're ever on the same cruise! :)

I see by your profile avatar that you are an Air Traffic Controller. Myself as well - 25 years now. Love to have a drink with you if we're ever on the same cruise! :)

Would love to. I retired because I couldn't take the BS anymore.

If the liquor in question is vodka, the cocktail is called Screwdriver.

thank you. being a non-drinker, i had the two mixed up.......screwdriver and mimosa. i assume that if a 20 year old with permission to drink can drink wine and beer then champagne is okay as well.

I know 18 year olds who enlisted because their grades weren't good enough to get into a decent college. Fortunately, my kids are excellent students, college bound (oldest is a sophomore).

I remember when 18 was the legal drinking age, and my youngest is 13. It changed to 21 right before I turned 18.

being poor or excellent students really doesn't matter. when i joined i was the second oldest in my basic training flight and i turned 19 when in basic training. my son, exact same age, was the second youngest in his flight because it was full of college grads who couldn't find a job. not to mention, both my kids joined to get the gi bill which will give them 53.400 dollars for college education after their 4 years is up. much better to join the military than to start life with a boat load of debt.

I always laugh when someone tries to play the "they can fight and die for their country at 18" card. They can, but most don't. DH was a weapons instructor for many years in the army. Trust me, 18 year olds are told when to eat, when to sleep, when to use the latrine and when to clean it.

Sorry. I don't get what you're saying here. Because the majority of 18-year old military personnel don't die, it's something at which you find you want to laugh? Not trying to be snarky. I truly don't understand what you're trying to get across.

We will be traveling with our 18 year old who is bringing a friend. I know parents can sign a waiver allowing 18 year olds to drink beer and wine, but will we as his friend's chaperones be able to sign the waiver for his friend as well? His friend's parents won't be traveling with us.

About 5 years ago, I was able to sign my dd's waiver, but not her friend and we all stayed in the same cabin.

Edited by js

My son has served 2 tours in Afganistan and is deployed in Africa now. Bigger man than you and me I would say. I would give anyone in the military a beerand buy it for them....Do I really need to explain military people versus college peeps?[/quote

Ok I have all the respect in the world for your son and anyone else who serves their country , and I thank him and them for their service.

Drinking at any age should be done responsibly . And military service is not the only factor when it comes to being a responsible person.

A college student pulling good grades, while also holding down a job can also be very responsible. Not every college kid is a drunken frat boy

People who are "defending the country" generally aren't doing it because of they want to "defend the country" per se. If anything, they do it because they cannot get into a college or get a good job. They aren't West Point grads....

Although I respect their decision, I don't see that decision as a sign of maturity.

Someone going to community college and flipping burgers is just as mature, or perhaps more mature than an Ivy League student, tuition courtesy of mommy & daddy.

People who are "defending the country" generally aren't doing it because of they want to "defend the country" per se. If anything, they do it because they cannot get into a college or get a good job. They aren't West Point grads....

Although I respect their decision, I don't see that decision as a sign of maturity.

Someone going to community college and flipping burgers is just as mature, or perhaps more mature than an Ivy League student, tuition courtesy of mommy & daddy.

Lets not forget the ones that the judge gets sick of seeing before him and says "sign up or jail"

Again I have all the respect in the world for anyone who serves our country, but it is not the only sign of maturity and responsibility.

Lets not forget the ones that the judge gets sick of seeing before him and says "sign up or jail"

Again I have all the respect in the world for anyone who serves our country, but it is not the only sign of maturity and responsibility.

No, it isn't. And as you inferred, it can be a sign of immaturity (I inferred that too).

Add Milk Of Magnesia and .....

it's a Philips' Screwdriver.

Then there is Prune Juice and Vodka , it's called a Pile driver

or Vodka and Coffee ....Its called Screw Mrs. Olsen (Ok you may have to be older than dirt to get that one *LOL*)