Immigration strike

Yet another thread from me, don't worry I'll be out of your hair in a few days :)

I've just read that Immigration/Border Protection staff will be striking on Thursday, which is the day my cruise leaves. I haven't been on an overseas cruise before, so not sure if staff would normally be at the terminal checking who's leaving the country.

Can anyone offer some insight into how my cruise might be affected?

My own colleagues are striking tomorrow - I'm already on holidays - and there will be enough non union members left on deck to cover the basics, I selfishly hope that's the same for these guys!

Last time this occurred apparently immigration was faster than normal! Yes you will process through immigration on an overseas cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry..going off topic, but that reminds me of when we had a bus strike a week or two ago. They predicted the roads would be chaotic as everyone would be driving .People were advised to stay away from the City. However , with all the buses off the road .... the traffic actually moved faster:D

They better not be striking when I fly out to Perth on Wednesday after Easter. I have little sympathy for groups and organisations who strike over peak holiday periods.

I remember as a child in NZ the railways use to go on strike every Xmas holidays ruining thousands of peoples holiday plans.

Edited by icat2000

I have little sympathy for groups and organisations who strike over peak holiday periods.

I remember as a child in NZ the railways use to go on strike every Xmas holidays ruining thousands of peoples holiday plans.

I guess I am showing my age, but I clearly remember the annual Christmas beer strikes here in Sydney. I worked with a guy who would buy an extra carton every week from about Aug 1st to make sure he didn't run short when the strike happened - he would hide his booty under the house so his wife didn't know :D

Departing Sydney on Wed next week, so hoping no delays at OPT for us.

I guess I am showing my age, but I clearly remember the annual Christmas beer strikes here in Sydney. I worked with a guy who would buy an extra carton every week from about Aug 1st to make sure he didn't run short when the strike happened - he would hide his booty under the house so his wife didn't know :D

Departing Sydney on Wed next week, so hoping no delays at OPT for us.

By dad carted beer in those days (plus we lived in a town where the population doubled, or tripled over the Christmas period), I remember well him buying in extra for his customers through October and November every year, a keg or two here a carton or two there, just to make sure that got through the inevitable strike.

Am I missing something? Why would Immigration staffing be an issue for a flight from Melbourne to Perth? We flew from Sydney to Perth last August...there was almost no security or other checks for us.

Not missing anything. It was 5 am when I read the news article. All I saw was airport strikes :D

Edited by icat2000

Am I missing something? Why would Immigration staffing be an issue for a flight from Melbourne to Perth? We flew from Sydney to Perth last August...there was almost no security or other checks for us.

The OP was asking about her cruise out of Freo that would have customs and immigration personnel processing the departures.

Edited by MicCanberra

The reason we cruise is that it is easy and stress free. Just get to the terminal join the line up and do as the others do.Just remember there will be others just as new to this as you are. Keep your passport, credit card or cash and pen easy to get to and then once on board either snooze before departure or grab a drink and go to the sailaway party and have fun LOTS OF FUN.

The reason we cruise is that it is easy and stress free. Just get to the terminal join the line up and do as the others do.Just remember there will be others just as new to this as you are. Keep your passport, credit card or cash and pen easy to get to and then once on board either snooze before departure or grab a drink and go to the sailaway party and have fun LOTS OF FUN.

Lovely advice, thank you :)

Qantas have released details on their website. Pretty much involves all airports from now until end of March. And will involve relevant cruise ports but that is less of an issue numerically.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Here is the link

http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/disruptions/global/en

Industrial action at the following airports: Effecting International travel.

Tue 22 March - Cairns, Perth

Wed 23 March - Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne

Thu 24 March - Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Cairns

Fri 25 March - Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Cairns

Sun 27 March - Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Cairns

Tue 29 March - Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Cairns

Wed 30 March - Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Cairns

Thu 31 March - Melbourne, Brisbane

Edited by icat2000

ABC news site is saying the same thing, though they're not specifically mentioning cruise terminals, just airports.

Coincidentally as I was reading the news I received a text from Princess saying our boarding had been brought forward an hour due to the strike!

Edited by clairebearinaus