Journey Self Serve Laundry

Nova Scotia cruiser

What's an iron? ;)

I outsource that home or away

I think that my wife owns an iron although I can not recall the last time I have seen her use it. If you assume that clothes get ruffled and creased almost as soon as you put them on, why iron them.

DON

I'd say offering someone their free bag of laundry on the last day of their cruise (as reported by the OP's sister) is quite a blunder indeed, and not at all convenient.

Matters to me too. If there is a chance that we won't get to do laundry until the end of our trip, I will either have to pay for laundry earlier in the trip or pack more clothes. I have a feeling I will pack more clothes as a result.

Ive just learned that unfortunately the self-service laundry on the Azamara Journey is out of service until the end of April. We are very sorry about this.

Here's the message that had been posted on our website under Laundry & Dry Cleaning tab:

LAUNDRY AND DRY-CLEANING

Please note: Self-service laundry is not available on Azamara Journey until the end of April 2016. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Might I suggest that travel partners and/or guests with upcoming sailings be advised of things like this? Luckily I haven't packed yet, but this would be a real problem if I didn't know this in advance.

I've found if I lay my linen shirts and pants across the suitcase,then layer rolled-up knits on top of them, then wrap the arms and legs of my linens over the rolled up knits(like a bundle)reduces the wrinkles tremendously! Whatever wrinkles may be left, I use my travel size Wrinkle Release:-) Works well for me.

For me the lack of an iron is big problem. On the first day I always have to iron items that have got creased in the case, especially linen shirts and trousers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've found if I lay my linen shirts and pants across the suitcase,then layer rolled-up knits on top of them, then wrap the arms and legs of my linens over the rolled up knits(like a bundle)reduces the wrinkles tremendously! Whatever wrinkles may be left, I use my travel size Wrinkle Release:-) Works well for me.

I discovered bundle wrapping clothes a couple of years ago and it works a treat for me as well. Go onto YouTube and search "bundle wrapping suitcase" and there are a number of videos. It feels very unnatural at first to do it this way, but it really works, saves space, time and wrinkles. Just make sure you do a couple of bundles if you are doing a pre-cruise stay!

Phil

I discovered bundle wrapping clothes a couple of years ago and it works a treat for me as well. Go onto YouTube and search "bundle wrapping suitcase" and there are a number of videos. It feels very unnatural at first to do it this way, but it really works, saves space, time and wrinkles. Just make sure you do a couple of bundles if you are doing a pre-cruise stay!

Phil

Good work Phil I'll suggest this to Neil as I have mine sorted. I have used a product from http://www.korjo.com/ (large travel clip lock bags) and roll my clothes, it's changed my life when travelling. Also keeps them dry especially if your suitcase is left sitting on the tarmac at an airport in the rain! I keep all my ship's evening outfits (dresses) in one, under garments in another, shorts, shirts, scarfs etc (each clothing type has it's own clip lock bag.). It's so much easier unpacking. The things I need on the ship can stay separate to what I often need before and after cruising. Jenny

PS google this one 'uses for bulldog clips video" it might come in handy for travelling too.

Edited by aussie travel bird

We are off Journey as of yesterday. The laundry room was nearby us so we kept an eye on any activity. They did paint the floor! They posted tape over the door saying Wet Paint.

I thought that was odd as the door was not painted.

That led to curiosity to see what was painted.

The door was unlocked so we peeked in.

There are five stackable washer dryer units not connected.

Maybe they are waiting for the floor paint to fully dry.

We did see someone removing the ironing board and plastic box of irons.

Door was locked after this. The sign says closed for maintenance until further notice.

They did allow one bag of laundry (10 day sailing) on a day depending on your deck and if you were in an odd or even numbered stateroom.

We also had a coupon for one additional bag-not much fits in those laundry bags!

All came back nicely washed and seemed to have been pressed.

I thought it was amazing how much I could get in a bag last year. I just crammed it on and got lots in.

Agree my total if it would have cost me was over $75

We spoke to a leading officer last week about the not operating self-service-laundry and that is a discussion point here on the board.

His answer was, that they need better machines, because it is a small room and the machines, they have right now, will get too warm in this small room.

They are still doing research about the best possible solution and it will take some more time, because they could not bye them in the nearest store.

Don´t know, if that makes sense and if it´s correct.

Marita

I thought it was amazing how much I could get in a bag last year. I just crammed it on and got lots in.

Agree. I stuffed so much into the bag that I think that if I hit someone w it, it would kill them.

DON

Just curious! Has anyone cancelled a cruise aboard the Journey because the laundry is out of order?

I can't imagine cancelling! It's as though one takes a ship to enjoy the laundry experience. And AZ has done a pretty good job of compensating PAX with free laundry bags.

Matters to me too. If there is a chance that we won't get to do laundry until the end of our trip' date=' I will either have to pay for laundry earlier in the trip or pack more clothes. I have a feeling I will pack more clothes as a result. [/quote']

I read OP's post to say that his sister was informed on the last day that there had been a free bag of laundry day earlier in the cruise.

LOL, I took it as a challenge to see how much I could get into the bag - I got two days' worth of everything for both of us, from pants to shirts to unmentionables, by rolling each item. I was a little afraid that the bag would burst at the seams!

I pack light and take items that I don't want to send to the laundry because I don't put them in the dryer, so having the washer on Quest the last couple of weeks was great. On lines without one, I just hand wash those items and send out the other stuff, sometimes free and sometimes paid. But I'd rather have a washing machine to get them really, really clean.

I will say that I sent one slightly damaged T shirt in the bag and our butler came to the door to report that the laundry master had called to see if I really wanted them to wash it because he was afraid of damaging it further. Talk about going above and beyond!

So, I think my question has been answered! Some people would cancel their cruise if

they don't get the free laundry operational and soon! I'm on a 11/17 TA and I'll go with or without the free laundry. Or the free laundry bag! Free laundry is not at the top of my TA on the Quest! I'm looking forward to my first Azamara Experience!

Edited by IsanTom

=BBMacLaird;49461886]Ive just learned that unfortunately the self-service laundry on the Azamara Journey is out of service until the end of April. We are very sorry about this.

Here's the message that had been posted on our website under Laundry & Dry Cleaning tab:

LAUNDRY AND DRY-CLEANING

Please note: Self-service laundry is not available on Azamara Journey until the end of April 2016. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Hello Bonnie, Would you please ask whether irons/ironing boards are still available?

Thank you

I just got off the Journey yesterday from a back-to-back cruise. On the second leg the iron was available in the laundry room. I ironed pants for the second cruise. However, the iron was not available on our first cruise.

Hope this helps.

We disembarked yesterday after a wonderful cruise on the Journey.

On embarkation day our cabin attendant gave us the free laundry schedule. For odd numbered deck seven cabins, free laundry day was on the sixth day of our ten day cruise.

We packed a lot in the free laundry bag. As someone else pointed out, a hit with the bag would have fell a strong man!

Not only did all of our clothes come back perfectly pressed or folded, but the seamstress or tailor fixed a couple of little holes in my daughter's Frozen nightgown we had not noticed until they were repaired. Talk about attention to detail!

HI Bonnie, just out of interest, is there likely to be a working laundry (I'm only interested in the irons) after the Quest refit? Otherwise I'm happy to be outsourcing (and I'M ON HOLIDAYS FROM THE LAUNDRY TOO!) I could/would like to buy some of that 'wrinkle out' stuff, but I'm not sure what it's called by brand name or if it's in fact available in Australia. Thanks in advance.

Onboard Journey just now, we are having 2 days of free laundry, your room number determines which day. The letter in the room also indicates self ironing is available. I'm having such a great time I've forgotten how to use the iron so not sure exactly where you get it, I will try and find out

Onboard Journey just now, we are having 2 days of free laundry, your room number determines which day. The letter in the room also indicates self ironing is available. I'm having such a great time I've forgotten how to use the iron so not sure exactly where you get it, I will try and find out

The iron is in the laundry room.

So glad to hear you're onboard and having a great time!

And I'm with you, who wants to iron while on vacation??

So glad to hear you're onboard and having a great time!

And I'm with you, who wants to iron while on vacation??

Probably no-one wants to iron while on vacation but, occasionally, there may be an item you want to wear that needs a quick press. I, therefore, appreciate that irons and ironing boards are available in the laundry room.

We will be on Journey for 34 nights. Our cruise charter company information says there is a laundry available. Assuming we will also be entitled to free laundry. There has been mention 'extras' are dependent on the charter company? No way we can pack enough for this long without a fair bit of washing!!LOL!!! I could organise shore excursions - to the laundry???:)