HAL Ship in Havana Harbor?

sail7seas

Could one ship berth at the dock and one anchor and tender?

All things possible! Possibly they might start off easy then go more. I hope the calls at Havana include at least an evening ashore. Day tours for sure, but the night like might be good fun.

All things possible! Possibly they might start off easy then go more. I hope the calls at Havana include at least an evening ashore. Day tours for sure, but the night like might be good fun.

It would be good to have an overnight.

As a Canadian I could go and stay at an all inclusive. I have zero desire to do that. I would like to visit Cuba while on a cruise. I look forward to that happening.

Thanks, cruz chic.

I hope we get to do so soon. I'd love to sail to Havana on the same ship at the same time as you. :)

I would want to get a better understanding of the infrastructure there before I visit. Not sure it is ready for guests yet.

People from every nation in the world have been coming to Cuba for years. Only people from the US can't go to Cuba without jumping through hoops. If they can manage to make all the other many visitors happy, why do you think that they can't handle Americans?

I have been to Cuba. I will take Cuba over almost any of the Caribbean countries any day. More interesting, the people are friendlier and you are not regarded as an object from whom money is to be extracted but as a friend. Also, you do not have people relentlessly following pursuing you down the street to try to convince you to take their tour as happens in many of the Caribbean islands.

DON

People from every nation in the world have been coming to Cuba for years. Only people from the US can't go to Cuba without jumping through hoops. If they can manage to make all the other many visitors happy, why do you think that they can't handle Americans?

I have been to Cuba. I will take Cuba over almost any of the Caribbean countries any day. More interesting, the people are friendlier and you are not regarded as an object from whom money is to be extracted but as a friend. Also, you do not have people relentlessly following pursuing you down the street to try to convince you to take their tour as happens in many of the Caribbean islands.

DON

We have been to Cuba twice, first time approx 10 years ago when we only did Havana. It was easily the most fascinating place we had been, tourist infrastructure was basic and we stayed in a casa particular and met one of the most educated and talented people I have had the privilege of meeting. Life was strict and harsh for locals (they were not even allowed to travel within Cuba). There was little to no public transport. Tourists were super safe though, everyone was super happy to have them there.

We returned a couple of years ago and did Havana and several other destinations. Havana has changed hugely, the number of tourists is mind boggling and infrastructure has changed with buses etc. It now feels like a very touristy place.

Some big rule changes have already had a big effect, Cubans can now travel freely although few have the finances to travel overseas let alone within Cuba.

Ex nationals are allowed to return, this must be great for families but we saw the two tiered results. Property prices are swelling as those who lived overseas are bringing back big money (note most locals have been earning approx $20 a month).

Horribly, we saw one man taunting workers in a bakery , peeling money off and throwing it in the workers faces. Many locals in smaller towns (eg Remedios very close to the expensive resorts) still live on ration cards.

I hope the changes bring prosperity to the locals but I fear those who don't have overseas relatives and are slow to adjust could struggle. It will be interesting if after living in a relatively "equal" environment these changes bring crime and other social problems.

We found little left of what made Cuba so interesting the first time left but it is still a wonderful destination with amazing people and I truly hope the best for them and their future and encourage everyone to visit.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That would be great, an overnight in Havana. I have been to two resorts in Cuba but never made it to Havana as the resorts were too far away by bus and I was never going to fly on the old Polish and Russian little planes.:eek: I have found the Cubans to be wonderful and super friendly to tourists. Hopefully, things will get better for them economically but I hope the Cuban culture doesn't get swallowed up.

Been there many times. Havana must is the Tropicana night club. The show far surpasses Vegas.

DON

I have no idea if they can make anyone happy hence my need to get a greater understanding of the island. My paradigm of Cuba is people riding around in cars from the 1950's. Glad to hear there might be more there than I perceived. Hopefully opening up the island will help the people improve their lives and provide an alternative to the rest of the Caribbean.

I think a cruise to Cuba would be wonderful. To visit a country that has been "forbidden fruit" to Americans for so many decades would be a treat.

I felt the same when visiting St. Petersburg and taking a very expensive day trip into Moscow. Just to stroll Red Square where the USSR's military might was regularly on parade for so many years and where Americans could see only in newsreels. It was exhilarating! And educational.

Havana holds the same fascination for me.

I think a cruise to Cuba would be wonderful. To visit a country that has been "forbidden fruit" to Americans for so many decades would be a treat.

I felt the same when visiting St. Petersburg and taking a very expensive day trip into Moscow. Just to stroll Red Square where the USSR's military might was regularly on parade for so many years and where Americans could see only in newsreels. It was exhilarating! And educational.

Havana holds the same fascination for me.

Not to get political but I think you may be shocked when you see it to wonder why the US embargoed them for so long. It is such a small and poor place it leaves you wondering "these guys are a threat?"

I would want to get a better understanding of the infrastructure there before I visit. Not sure it is ready for guests yet.

Google "Cuban resorts" and you will see that Cuba has been ready for guests for many, many years. The rest of the world has been enjoying vacations in Cuba but, unfortunately, U.S. citizens have not been able to do so. Cuban resorts are right on par with any Caribbean island.

DON

Very true. I don't think you can get any idea of Cuba from a 1-day stop on a cruise ship, however - apart from finding that the locals are friendly.

That would be like saying you've been to London when you had a connection at Heathrow.:D

I wouldn't get too excited yet. Just because here in the US, cruises and travel is being touted, the same may not be in Cuba. There was a lot of Hoopla about the first flight from RSW to Havana several months ago. The passengers, etc were interviewed and there was a video of the plane taking off. It was a no go when they got to Havana. Cuba didn't even allow them to land! It hasn't been tried since to my knowledge. Even Obama wasn't welcomed by the president of Cuba yesterday!

Just because the Cuban people want it means nothing to the Cuban Government.

I have heard some of the former Cuban refugees have spoken out against the US government giving what they call "legitimacy to the Cuban regime" after so many people were driven from their homes and murdered.

I think I would wait and see before I started booking my vacation there.

BTW - living here in SWFL we get adds all the time for cruises and vacations in Cuba, but the fine print always says (when it opens up).

Good luck to any of you who want to visit. I hope you get to go soon.

I visited Cuba last year. Spent 11days touring the country. Never saw a resort. The roads were barely passable in places, rutted and just wide enough for the bus. Our guide and bus driver were not allowed to accompany us on a boat ride for fear they would try to escape. We were met by lots of "beggars" on every stop in any of the bigger towns. For the most part we got chicken, pork, beans and rice. Once in a while a vegetable or salad. Public transportation consists of ancient stock trucks that pack people in and just keep packing people in. That being said...the people were wonderful, the countryside beautiful and I would go back in a minute. While Cuba has been a tourist destination for many years only certain areas are set up for it. The rest of the country has a long way to go. I consider myself very lucky that I was able to spend time visiting their country, conversing with their people and seeing a lot of areas that many tourist never see.

Not to get political but I think you may be shocked when you see it to wonder why the US embargoed them for so long. It is such a small and poor place it leaves you wondering "these guys are a threat?"

They were a threat when the Soviet Union was strong and supported them militarily. No anymore. Let's hope the end of the embargo will bring economic prosperity but that Cuba does not revert back to the pre-Castro days where the Americans ruled and where mob bosses were kings. I would hate to see Cuba become like the other Caribbean islands, especially like Jamaica where one cannot stroll along a street without being hassled and followed.

I wouldn't get too excited yet. Just because here in the US, cruises and travel is being touted, the same may not be in Cuba. There was a lot of Hoopla about the first flight from RSW to Havana several months ago. The passengers, etc were interviewed and there was a video of the plane taking off. It was a no go when they got to Havana. Cuba didn't even allow them to land! It hasn't been tried since to my knowledge. Even Obama wasn't welcomed by the president of Cuba yesterday!

Just because the Cuban people want it means nothing to the Cuban Government.

I have heard some of the former Cuban refugees have spoken out against the US government giving what they call "legitimacy to the Cuban regime" after so many people were driven from their homes and murdered.

I think I would wait and see before I started booking my vacation there.

BTW - living here in SWFL we get adds all the time for cruises and vacations in Cuba, but the fine print always says (when it opens up).

Good luck to any of you who want to visit. I hope you get to go soon.

I just listened to the press conference broadcast of the two Presidents in Havana and cruise ship stops were mentioned.

It seems the Cuban people/Cuban President welcome cruise ship stops as there was no contradiction when President Obama mentioned it.

Edited by sail7seas

Monday's NBC Nightly News: Andrea Mitchell reported from Havana that Starwoods Hotels had reached a business deal with Cuba today and implied that Carnival Cruise Lines was expected to follow.

Likely that a "Whale Tail" vessel will be seen in Havana before one of our well loved "blue beauties".

Monday's NBC Nightly News: Andrea Mitchell reported from Havana that Starwoods Hotels had reached a business deal with Cuba today and implied that Carnival Cruise Lines was expected to follow.

Likely that a "Whale Tail" vessel will be seen in Havana before one of our well loved "blue beauties".

Good information. Thx :).

I agree. I think a 'Whale Tail' will be first of the ships that call in U.S. ports to be seen in Havana Harbor.

Fathom is quite different than the regular/usual cruise which most of us are more likely to sail. I'll be shocked if they fill the ship at those prices for what they are selling.