Cruising South out of San Francisco

SwimCarrie

Hi all,

I've travelled to Alaska out of San Francisco and been sick as a dog in the potato patch. Is it any better heading South? (Or should I invest in lots and lots of Dramamine?!)

Thanks!

Edited by SwimCarrie

It is maybe a little bit better going south in my opinion but still rough in that potato patch area regardless of which way you are sailing. Maybe I just hit it going south at the right times but going north has always just been the roughest. However, we just sailed down to Mexico from San Francisco and the public areas and the hallways were absolutely deserted. We didn't think it was all that bad but obviously a lot of others did.

I don't like the patch at all but have found great success with ginger tablets and SeaBands. Couple those with some green apples and a midship cabin.

Going south we didn't notice any bad movement but going north, OMG, kept us awake all night

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Potato Patch is in the main channel heading due west out of the Golden Gate. The Potato Patch would not have caused roughness all night.

Try the patch or meclizine, which is less drowsy-inducing than dramamine. Either way, you must start before you get on the ship, and if using the pills, take them every morning. Green apples also help.

Typically northbound is bumpier than southbound. At times both ways can be as smooth as glass.

We sailed on a CA Coastal last March and had smooth sailing in and out of SF Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Typically northbound is bumpier than southbound. At times both ways can be as smooth as glass.

We sailed on a CA Coastal last March and had smooth sailing in and out of SF Bay.

I was reading through this thread and this exact phrase came to mind. We sail out of SF all the time, because we live here, and every time we get out under the GG bridge it's always been as smooth as glass. I'm sure that won't always be the case, but we've enjoyed it so far!

Edited by gcvt

just returned from the

grand Princess Hawaii/ mexico round trip.

beautiful trip, just be medically prepared for a bumpy ocean. " the Patch"The s has the least side effects.

the ship now that is commuter cruise ship,has lost a whole lot of grandeur

The service is still top notch,entertainment very nice, food very nice.

" the passengers dressed as if they were in a trailer park on water.

Quite elderly and handicapped crowd,

The ship needs to upgrade its electronics, internet and TV reception.

the health services on board seemed top notch, and the cabins were always being

sanitized.

glad to be back home in San Francisco:cool:

At the end of our 15 night Panama cruise we sailed up the coast to SF. Luckily it was the end of 15 days on the ship otherwise it would have been horrible. The closet doors were swinging open and close and the drawers were sliding in and out. However, after 15 nights we just rolled over and went back to sleep.

We were told if you can sail northbound California coast you can sail anywhere. Never done southbound, but I bet it's not near as rough as north.

My experience is that it's worse going north because you're going across the current. Our last cruise out of SF was in Feb and we had a pretty nice sailing. It was the roughest the first day out and the last day back but it still wasn't bad. I kind of like the rocking back and forth when I sleep.

At any rate, I've experienced some pretty bad seas going up and down the coast also so you never know what to expect.

good luck!

DH and I love the potato patch and look forward cruising it whenever we cruise out of San Francisco. It only last for about an hour or so depending on the time of year. I never bring sea sick pills, but there's plenty of over-the-counter drugs you can take with you. You can also get something from the ships store as well. We've hit heavy seas going to Hawaii 2 days out of SF, and we hit heavy seas out of Puerto Vallarta for 2 days. It was great! The ship even listed on one occasion. Thunder, lightning and rain. We really needed seat belts while sleeping! :D

Can someone please check the price of internet minutes. I have my 250 Elite minutes but will need more. What is the bonus if bought on the first day? Thanks

From the Princess website:

120 minutes

Item #6038 – $72.95

(Includes $69.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 20 bonus minutes for

prepurchasing an Internet time package.)

240 minutes

Item #6039 – $102.95

(Includes $99.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 40 bonus minutes for

460 minutes

Item #6302 – $162.95

(Includes $159.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 60 bonus minutes for

680 minutes

Item #6301 – $202.95

(Includes $199.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 80 bonus minutes for

1100 minutes (for World Cruise only)

Item #6300 – $252.95

(Includes $249.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)

(Includes 100 bonus minutes for

The "Potato Patch" shoal is a large shallow reef area just outside the Golden Gate- being so shallow (water depth from 23 to 36 feet) it produces a lot of wave action often making for a bumpy ride, and can be dangerous for small boats.

Try the patch or meclizine, which is less drowsy-inducing than dramamine. Either way, you must start before you get on the ship, and if using the pills, take them every morning. Green apples also help.

We have been on many cruises and never suffered from motion sickness, but on our last trip to Caribbean, we were pretty high up and forward on the Royal and my wife got a little queasy. The steward recommended green apples and she got better in no time. Always wondered why you always see bowls of them in Horizon Court. We will be heading to Hawaii from SF in a couple of weeks so we will be prepared, hopefully:)

49er

Edited by 49er

Hi all,

I've travelled to Alaska out of San Francisco and been sick as a dog in the potato patch. Is it any better heading South? (Or should I invest in lots and lots of Dramamine?!)

Thanks!

I guess it really doesn't matter what others have experienced sailing south. In 2012 we sailed from Vancouver to LA and had modest seas. There was movement, although it was no problem for us...for you, who knows.

I recommend being prepared because if it is smooth, no problem, but if it is rough...watch out.

So, be prepared for the worst and be happy if it isn't.

The "Potato Patch" shoal is a large shallow reef area just outside the Golden Gate- being so shallow (water depth from 23 to 36 feet) it produces a lot of wave action often making for a bumpy ride, and can be dangerous for small boats.

Thank you! :)