Staff "demanding" good ratings?

For people to WHINE about a short speech that a crew member gives about a survey is UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL.

The simple behavior here is easy: You politely listen, nod, and respond "Absolutely will do it", and smile.

You don't cut them off, threaten with bad scores, or any of this other drivel.

It consumes maybe 60 seconds of your time while you are enjoying the spoils of being on a cruise. Where is your humanity? Or do people not have that anymore?

If you don't like the labor practices of Royal then bring it up with their senior management.

It's all a matter of how they do it. If it's a simple explanation of how the high scores will help them out, that's one thing. When it veers into repeated begging or trying to make me feel guilty if I decide not to give 10s across the board, well that's just rude on their part and I have no problem telling them I'm not going to listen to it.

I've only had to do this once. A particular server told me anything less than full 10s I was basically getting her fired. I politely told her I'm happy with my service but I don't want to talk about scores any more. She dropped it.

I agree that threatening to give a lower score or rudely cutting them off is bad form. I do similar to Bob. I just smile and say "Not to worry, we are happy with the service." They don't have to give an awkward speech, and I don't have to listen to one. Win-win. Nothing disgraceful about that in my book.

Knowing that they use the ridiculous system where only 10s and possibly 9s count, as stated in a previous comment, maybe you'll take that into consideration next time. There's no point in penalizing the staff over a policy that RCI has in place. I understand a "solid 8 or slight 9" might be true, but consider that it's very possible that it counts as a 0. It's too petty and elitist to overthink it now that we know this information

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Nope!

I am still going to rate honestly.

They need to fix the system. Just blindly giving out perfect ratings doesn't help anyone.

One technique is to leave before dessert on the last night.

We actually did this on the second leg of our B2B Cruise on the Adventure (2015) and the waiter ran, yes ran after us calling "Mr. Dave" as we were making our way out of the MDR entrance. We stopped and I politely reminded him along with himself, the assistant waiter and the head waiter we have already been reminded a couple of times concerning the ratings on the post cruise survey.

Nope!

I am still going to rate honestly.

They need to fix the system. Just blindly giving out perfect ratings doesn't help anyone.

Think of it as 0-9=bad and 10=good. You'll still be rating honestly now that you know this.

Know what? Nevermind. There's no use trying to use these facts to convince people otherwise.

Stick with the pettiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our cruise it was explained to us that the gratuities were going to be distributed based on the evaluation and anything less than a 10 would result in them losing money. This was apparently a fairly new introduction. The MDR staff also told us that if we weren't "wowed" by our food it had become their job to realise we weren't wowed and send back the meal and get us something else. Thats kind of hard as I may well enjoy a meal but it wouldn't necessarily wow me and certainly it wouldn't be anything to complain about but if that didn't earn then a 10 then they would be the losers. I would imagine too a lot of these staff rely on the gratuities as they send money back to their families in their home countries.

Edited by Mattnvick

On our cruise it was explained to us that the gratuities were going to be distributed based on the evaluation and anything less than a 10 would result in them losing money. This was apparently a fairly new introduction. The MDR staff also told us that if we weren't "wowed" by our food it had become their job to realise we weren't wowed and send back the meal and get us something else. Thats kind of hard as I may well enjoy a meal but it wouldn't necessarily wow me and certainly it wouldn't be anything to complain about but if that didn't earn then a 10 then they would be the losers. I would imagine too a lot of these staff rely on the gratuities as they send money back to their families in their home countries.

If the company isn't going to give them what it is charging me for their service, I won't give it to the company to play with. I'd rather just give all cash at that point. That's seriously messed up of Royal Caribbean. they are stealing from the crew the money the guests pay in good faith to be equally distributed. If the crew is "losing money" where the heck is it going?!?!?!

Like I said, this isn't a system designed to solicit feedback on how something can be improved, it is a system that looks for ways for the company to cheat the staff if things are not a 10 across the board, which we all know just isn't realistic.

To me good service is a 7 to 9. 10 is almost impossible because that's like doing cartwheels with fireworks as you serve everything lickety split.

This has been going on as long as I have cruised with RC. It is my understanding that in the dinning room the rating can determine the number and location of tables that the servers cover but begging for a top rating is a bit uncomfortable from my end.

I just smile and nod my head. Like I said earlier the only time I ever said something was when either the Head Waiter or Waiter gave the same speach. I can take it once. ;)

On the positive side of this, I probably went 4 or 5 cruises without any interactions with the Head Waiter. I keep in mind they do things out of my vision, but the past 3 or 4 cruises I've seen the head waiter more often and sometimes that has been a good thing. Our Headwaiter for our 2012 Jewel cruise was a great helpful person. We were getting slow terrible service on day 1 of our 4 day Majesty cruise and it turned around after speaking to him.

One technique is to leave before dessert on the last night.

I'll keep that in mind if needed. On our Freedom cruise we had Chops on the last night only because it was our anniversary and our tradition for our anniversary. But I enjoyed our wait staff and tablemates enough that we went down and had a drink with them while their dessert was being served. I don't remember if we got the speech that night, but this wait staff has been with our tablemates before and he knew we were all happy that week.

Edited by BillOh

If the company isn't going to give them what it is charging me for their service, I won't give it to the company to play with. I'd rather just give all cash at that point. That's seriously messed up of Royal Caribbean. they are stealing from the crew the money the guests pay in good faith to be equally distributed. If the crew is "losing money" where the heck is it going?!?!?!

Like I said, this isn't a system designed to solicit feedback on how something can be improved, it is a system that looks for ways for the company to cheat the staff if things are not a 10 across the board, which we all know just isn't realistic.

To me good service is a 7 to 9. 10 is almost impossible because that's like doing cartwheels with fireworks as you serve everything lickety split.

I don't think that what was meant by that post. I think it means that those with a higher rating get a bigger percentage of the tip pool than those with a lower rating. The crew gets the tip money, it's how much of it they get on a cruise by cruise basis based on their ratings. Also chances are if you were to remove the tips and pay cash they would have to turn the money into the pool anyway. Of course this assumes that what was written is accurate.

I personally think the wait staff are being forced by their supervisors to make this speech. There's way too many people saying they've heard it (myself included) to think it's just the wait staff doing it on their own. I also believe that getting a high rating not just impact the individual waiter's/assistant waiter's assignments (table location, even ship, etc.), promotions and share of tip pool; it also impacts the head waiters, restaurant managers and on up. An overall top rating would earn those in supervisory positions or above promotions, better assignments (specialty restaurant vs. main dining room or buffet) and even better ship assignments. So I can understand why the wait staff are being pushed to make that annoying speech. It must be embarrassing and awkward for them as well.

I was also told that low ratings on the food quality would cause the wait staff problems. What was suggested to me was to rate the food as a 10, but use the comments to voice your issues with the quality. Not sure if that makes a lot of sense, but it might be one way to get your waiter off the hook if you want to say something negative about food quality.

I think I can let "the speech" go in one ear and out the other for Key Lime Pie! :)

The thread has gone on long enough (but still interesting to me), that I don't feel bad about a slight sidetracking, but flame me if you must. I love Key Lime pie and Royal's sugar free version is GOOD. I didn't say great and yes you can tell the difference, but if you see the sugar free version and you've already eaten a lot, give it a try. I think I remember it being on a totally different night than the regular version.

I don't think that what was meant by that post. I think it means that those with a higher rating get a bigger percentage of the tip pool than those with a lower rating. The crew gets the tip money, it's how much of it they get on a cruise by cruise basis based on their ratings. Also chances are if you were to remove the tips and pay cash they would have to turn the money into the pool anyway. Of course this assumes that what was written is accurate.

I personally think the wait staff are being forced by their supervisors to make this speech. There's way too many people saying they've heard it (myself included) to think it's just the wait staff doing it on their own. I also believe that getting a high rating not just impact the individual waiter's/assistant waiter's assignments (table location, even ship, etc.), promotions and share of tip pool; it also impacts the head waiters, restaurant managers and on up. An overall top rating would earn those in supervisory positions or above promotions, better assignments (specialty restaurant vs. main dining room or buffet) and even better ship assignments. So I can understand why the wait staff are being pushed to make that annoying speech. It must be embarrassing and awkward for them as well.

I was also told that low ratings on the food quality would cause the wait staff problems. What was suggested to me was to rate the food as a 10, but use the comments to voice your issues with the quality. Not sure if that makes a lot of sense, but it might be one way to get your waiter off the hook if you want to say something negative about food quality.

You may just be correct and I could be misinterpreting; but since we know how phony these surveys are and what they are really used for, it sure does create a mistrust towards management in my mind. It's a rigged system and it's for managements benefit (spend less). It's not for the guests benefit (make improvements). Someone else said it, and I believe it, they don't want our feedback and it is a waste of our time.

My husband tells them everytime (not just on cruises as we get surveys for everything now a days) that if they want a 10 they will have to earn it.

Just because there are no problems and service is adequate, IMO does not warrant a 10. To me a 10 is for someone who is exceptional and there are not many of them around any longer. Too overworked and under staffed.

Over worked and understaffed.

I was having problems on the first two nights, same table same waiter with timely service and I do mean LONG issues. I politely spoke to the head waiter, and the rest of the cruise service was great, WITH THE SAME WAITER. I will never know what they adjusted, there are many variable to contribute to poor service in the MDR.

Edited by north29

My daughter and I took a cruise and typically only eat in specialty and/or windjammer as we find the MDR just takes too long as we rarely eat the appetizer or desserts. But the second to last night of the cruise we chose to eat in the MDR (we had MTD). We had a wonderful meal and great service, however, as we were getting ready to leave, the matre d' approached us and said, since we only at their one night, we really couldn't respond how their great service is and asked us to refrain from leaving any rating or comments on the wait staff in the dining room. We thought that was so bizarre and honestly would have given them a 10.

I think most people here know that the people who work on the cruise ships are mainly from Eastern Europe, Asia and Latin America. They often leave their families behind to work contracts that are 4-6 months long in which they work 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week. They work hard. Everyone brings this up every time a tipping thread is created here on Cruise Critic. A majority of their pay relies on gratuities paid by passengers. It is a hard life especially compared to being on vacation as a passenger.

For people to WHINE about a short speech that a crew member gives about a survey is UTTERLY DISGRACEFUL.

I work hard too. Does that give me the right to tell you how to rate me while you would rather be talking to your friends/family at the table.

Why do you think the Do Not Call registry was so popular? Because people got tired of hearing sales speeches at dinner time.

Working hard does not give you the right to interfere with someone else's enjoyment of their time.

If they deserve a ten they will get a ten. If I think an eight or nine is more appropriate then that is what they will get. If Royal Caribbean is going to fire everyone that gets an eight or a nine, Royal Caribbean will suffer.

But I will not put up with someone who thinks that just because they work hard they:

1) Feel they have the right to tell others how to act.

2) Feel they have the right to tell me how to rate them.

The implication is, I don't work hard to so it is okay to tell me how to act and it is alright to tell me how to rate someone who does work hard.

Edited by Cuizer2

The thread has gone on long enough (but still interesting to me), that I don't feel bad about a slight sidetracking, but flame me if you must. I love Key Lime pie and Royal's sugar free version is GOOD. I didn't say great and yes you can tell the difference, but if you see the sugar free version and you've already eaten a lot, give it a try. I think I remember it being on a totally different night than the regular version.

If you don't say it is great, they will stop serving it. Only desserts rated great get served. Very good or worse = bad.

I remember one night, the ice cream was telling me how the strawberry was not getting served because it go a nine one week. It asked me to please give it a ten.

Edited by Cuizer2

We have also heard the speech on Celebrity a few times, but not our last Celebrity cruise. Not sure if they stopped altogether or the waiter just didn't bother.

It seems like we have always heard it on Royal, where we do the preemptive "you don't have to worry about us" thing and that seems to please whoever is asking.

But never before on Celebrity - until our last Reflection cruise, when a buffet employee named "MEEECHELL" (just the way she yelled it) danced through the tables in the buffet at breakfast on the last sea day, and in a very loud sing-song way yelled that they needed "10s on every card". She stopped at every table to cheer/dance/yell to remind everybody "10s! 10s ONLY! 10. 10. 10. 10"!

I don't know how many tables are in the buffet, but imagine this, oh, about a 100 times while you're in there eating. I can still hear it now LOL :(

We usually ate in Blu, and never heard once it in there, so I don't know if that was the only time MEEECHELL made her rounds or if it was a regular thing in the buffet, but we were sure sick of hearing her spiel by the time we finished eating.

I am 99% positive that they are on the same menu. I used to always get both, but when you eat them together it is very noticeable that sugar is better. Now I don't order the sugar free anymore.

On our recent 14 nt Rhapsody cruise we must have missed the night in the MDR that had Key Lime pie so I was pleasantly surprised to find the sugar free version on the menu toward the end of the cruise. Can't say which night. It looked the same and the taste was almost as good as the regular version. Definitely not offered on the same night as the regular version.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Well, I am not skipping dessert just to avoid the "speech"! Unfortunately, my refusal to skip dessert for any reason is becoming more and more obvious....

One thing my wife has done for years is tell everyone on the ship who asks about any service that it is (or was) "EXCELLENT!" She has learned over the years that there can be enough ambiguity in a response of "good" or "very good" to prompt another rendition of the "speech." Years of research has established that a quick or preemptive response of "EXCELLENT!" tends to eliminate or avoid any of the more severe forms of the "speech."

I agree with the prior poster who said that there is a high correlation between bad service and the "speech." The really good waiters know that there is no need and if they mention it at all, do it in a subtle, non-annoying way.