Anyone else stressing about the Travel Alert to Europe?

mom2dina

In all fairness, Cuba did arrest a bunch of women they thought would protest while the President made his visit. It's probably the safest place he's visited in his entire presidency, including DC.

I was referring more to his comments was asked about going to the game instead of heading back to DC...

They have travel bans/alerts for all countries...even the Bahamas! Please don't cancel! Chances are nothing will happen! I went to Europe and it was perfectly fine. Cancelling only gives those evil people is this world joy.

For anyone who thinks there is a massive recent increase in terrorism in Western Europe, I would encourage you to read this article. It's quite short and the chart is quite enlightening.

https://www.statista.com/chart/4093/people-killed-by-terrorist-attacks-in-western-europe-since-1970/

It is natural to be concerned about terrorism, and the media have a part to play in stoking this concern because fear sells newspapers. It's a personal choice to cancel or not. The bottom line for me is that cruise companies exist to make money, and I don't think that they would risk their investments (ship, staff, customers) unnecessarily.

Heard back from STEP about registering a cruise...

" Thank you for contacting us with regards to your STEP Enrollment. You may enroll in STEP if you will be boarding a cruise or any other multi-stop boating voyage overseas. Please ensure you are accessing the site via Google Chrome or Internet Explorer with compatibility view enabled in order to ensure maximum compatibility with our site.

To enter multiple cruise destinations:

To add additional destinations to your itinerary, please log into the STEP Website to access your existing account. On the Profile Information page, please select the ‘Edit’ link next to the trip you’d like to add destinations to. If not, please add a new trip by selecting the ‘Add A Trip/Residence Abroad’ button. On the Itinerary Info page, Select the ‘Add Additional Destination’ link to add an additional destination to your trip. Enter the Destination, Local Embassy or Consulate, Destination Date of Arrival, Destination Date of Departure, and relevant cruise ship information in the Purpose of Visit section.

Note: You will also need to input one type of contact information: either Address or Phone or both. Please leave the address blank (unless it’s known) and proceed to enter your cruise ship’s contact number (which may be obtained through your Cruise Company).

Once all information is entered, select the ‘Add Additional Destination’ link at the bottom of the page and select the ‘Add Additional Destination’ link again once the form collapses in order to add another destination. Continue this process until all of your destinations are entered. Note: You will need to enter the cruise ship’s contact phone number each time you add a destination.

Please ensure that after adding additional information for each destination that you click the ‘Add Additional Destination’ link in order to properly save the information. Once all information has been entered for all destinations, you will need to click ‘Next’ at the bottom of the page and continue through the enrollment process until you end up on the ‘Confirm’ page and select the “Finish” button. Completing this step ensures any additions or changes that you have made are finalized.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions regarding STEP.

Regards,

The STEP Team"

FYI. :)

Given the current US dollar to Euro exchange rate, there's not much that could keep me out of Europe right now. Besides, I live in New York, these things are random and I'll go wherever I darn well please.

I second this, I live in Chicago. We leave in August for our Dalmation Coast cruise. I totally understand some people being apprehensive about traveling , but like other posters have stated, I refuse to change my way of life.

Leaving on a TA and my main concern is what to pack since it is my first one. I will not even think about any so called terror threats since in my opinion you can not fix or avoid stupid in this world. Never had, never will.

Leaving on a TA and my main concern is what to pack since it is my first one. I will not even think about any so called terror threats since in my opinion you can not fix or avoid stupid in this world. Never had, never will.

Layers.:)

My Friends and I are booked on the Ovation, leaving in 3 weeks. Our stops are Belgium and France. We are flying in and out of London. The events of the last few days have made us contemplate cancelling. We were so excited to visit London and Paris, but now we are being urged to avoid tourist attractions. How can we enjoy? I'm not afraid of being on the ship, but to fly all the way to Europe and then be afraid of where we go is upsetting.

Hi just a little point of interest for you Americans out there. Europe isn't a country it's a continent with stable and unstable countries within, I detect a misplaced fear that we have over here bombers on every corner and jihadists on every street corner. Thankfully I can report this is not the case. Statistically you are more likely to be killed back over in America in your monthly school massacres. On a much happier note I am heading over to the U S of A to board the Independence transatlantic back home in 5 weeks time. Any tips for a night out in Fort Lauderdale.

We would not go anywhere near Europe.

WHY.......

Sorry I cannot find the link but I just read in a fishing forums general area, that Many who live in the UK and other areas around Belgium and booking everything they can Weeks, weekends, etc in Belgium to show supports for the country. Remember these are Europeans who have endured terrorism for a long time.

There are factions in Europe that HATE Americans....do you want to be a target? There you go....make a choice. I'm with your husband...cancel the cruise...don't be a target.

Yes...you can have accidents here, in our own country...but the folks over there WANT TO KILL US....your choice.

There are some folks over here who want to kill pretty much anyone, not only Americans, but they are a very, very small number. Most places in Europe are incredibly safe.

Hi just a little point of interest for you Americans out there. Europe isn't a country it's a continent with stable and unstable countries within, I detect a misplaced fear that we have over here bombers on every corner and jihadists on every street corner. Thankfully I can report this is not the case. Statistically you are more likely to be killed back over in America in your monthly school massacres. On a much happier note I am heading over to the U S of A to board the Independence transatlantic back home in 5 weeks time. Any tips for a night out in Fort Lauderdale.

I can give you some advice but not on this channel see you on the ship.

I did New York to Bermuda on 09/30/01, 19 days after the 9/11 bombings. We switched ports from New York to a Naval base in Philly (i think it was). RCL upped the security at check in and that was that really. Granted Bermuda wasn't a hot spot of possibly terrorist activity, I did get the feeling that everyone was of the "keep calm and carry on" mentality. I wouldn't change plans because of something that happened elsewhere, just be vigilant and enjoy yourself. Don't let them win, they want us to cower and not leave our homes.

We were supposed to sail the Royal Clipper out of Rome on 9/15/01 flying from JFK. Bags were packed. If the plane had taken off, we would have been on it. I still regret never getting to take that cruise. Had a baby following spring and the Royal Clipper is not a boat for kids. Finally got to take a med cruise this past summer, with three children. Booked on a Baltic cruise this summer with no plans to cancel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My in laws live in the Netherlands and had been planning a long weekend in Brussels this weekend. Following the attacks they still considered taking their trip but eventually cancelled because they were concerned things they wanted to see wouldn't be open. While I felt it was a little too soon to go, they weren't afraid.

I think as Americans we are far more worried about European travel than many actual Europeans are. Danger in some form or another exists everywhere. We can shelter in our homes and avoid the world, or we can go out, explore, and do everything the terrorists hate by embracing the beautiful experiences this planet can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, my husband says to cancel because "Europe" is a hot spot right now... I don't think we should because things happen everywhere. I'm just real stressed out about it.

I told him he has 3 days to come up with something better before the deposit becomes non-refundable.

Not sure what to do .... Anyone else dealing with this?

Sorry initially put ban instead of alert

"

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

"

Go on your trip and enjoy! Be aware of your surroundings when off the ship.

Our State Dept is a Joke, so don't even listen to them! I'm on a B2B2B2B

in October & November in Europe with a TA on Rhapsody & the Jewel and can't wait!

we don't let events like the bombings in paris or brussels influence our travel plans.

but then again, we just returned from 4 weeks in the middle east (egypt, jordan, israel and palestine) and never felt concerned.

YMMV so do what feels comfortable for you.

I'm generally in agreement with everyone, although I can honestly say that, when I was researching my big 2016 trip, I was looking at airlines that landed in Istanbul, Brussels and Amsterdam. I ended up changing plans, but, as far back as December (after Paris), I was choosing Amsterdam over both the other airports.

Do what you feel comfortable with. Just because you aren't going to Europe, doesn't mean you are staying home. There are thousands of other trips you could take around the world. Some may be cruises, some may not be. This could be an opportunity to do something different. Don't be mad at your husband, but work with him in finding an amazing experience someplace else in the world!

I would not cancel, but it is a personal decision. We were on the Celebirty Silhouette last Oct. which was suppose to go to Israel. The port was canceled. Cruise companies will not risk their ships, personnel, or passengers, and take them to a port they feel is unsafe.