Remind Me - Dinner Attire in MDR

Sorry..I know there have been other threads on what to wear in the MDR, but I wasn't paying close attention to it until now as I'm starting to pack. Is it business attire (slacks/skirt and top)? Or can you come in your day clothes? I'm guessing the former but that means extra clothes times four of us.

Also, if the former, I'm assuming too they are more lenient on kids?

As a third (kind of related question)....do the cabins provide irons? I thought I had read they are a hazard to bring our own. (On a Disney cruise a few years ago, I remember they had a separate room you could go to for ironing your clothes)

PS - I'm not counting the two formal days as I know we need nicer stuff for those nights.

Edited by LuCruise

This is what the cruise line suggests:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

There are no irons in the staterooms, nor are there any guest laundry rooms with irons.

This is what the cruise line suggests:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

There are no irons in the staterooms, nor are there any guest laundry rooms with irons.

Thanks for the link.

So everyone walks around all wrinkled? Or are we allowed to bring an iron?

Irons are not allowed.

The ship does have a pressing service.

Thanks Bob. Guess I'll iron stuff before putting in suitcase (since wrinkled after the wash), but then we'll just hope for the best and wear it as is.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Just to confirm, they will still let you in the MDR if not fully following the dress code, right? I'm thinking more my son. His formal wear is basically how they describe smart casual. We need to limit to 2 suitcases since we are doing self disembark.

P.S. we like the MDR experience and are not interested in Windjammer for dinner.

Just to confirm, they will still let you in the MDR if not fully following the dress code, right? I'm thinking more my son. His formal wear is basically how they describe smart casual. We need to limit to 2 suitcases since we are doing self disembark.

P.S. we like the MDR experience and are not interested in Windjammer for dinner.

Just wear whatever you are comfortable in.

As long as you are not wearing a bathing suit you will be fine.

Would suggest that he at least wear long pants. Depending on the ship and the staff, they may tell him to go change. Dress codes are not truly followed, and some people do wear shorts to the MDR, but risk being turned away.

Thanks for the replies. OK..so no shorts. Will bring long pants for him. He has some nicer t-shirts too that will probably work.

Thanks too for the steam tip.

I've already started doing laundry to freshen up summer wardrobe so don't want to re-wash, but steam tip is good to know.

We did us the pressing service on my husbands shirts and on of my dresses. Altogether it was under $25. Worth it to feel crisp and sharp on formal nights. I think next cruise I will take only one really formal dress and wear it twice and one pair of black flats for dinner each night. No one will know you wore the same dress twice. I ended up wearing flats because there was a lot of movement on our cruise and I felt very unsteady in heels. Also next time is will bring one black skirt and several different tops for casual dinners. Most boys were wearing black slacks and a button down shirt at dinner, I didn't see many sports coats or ties on boys. Some polo tops on boys with khakis, even on formal nights. I would say a rule of thumb would be something you would have them wear to a wedding or to a church holiday service.

Packing tip to help prevent wrinkles; use especially with "formal" clothes. Use dry cleaner bags (they have long (for dresses) and short (for jackets). Carefully place your <dress> in the bag and roll it up with the bag; kinda making it layered with the plastic. We always pack this type of stuff last into the suitcase. BTW I ROLL everything! Stuff doesn't slide to the bottom of your suitcase as easily. If your suitcase is not full, add/cram the plastic pillows that you from <amazon> packaging into your suitcase tighten up all you've packed. The pillows can just get popped when you unpack and then throw them out.

We did us the pressing service on my husbands shirts and on of my dresses. Altogether it was under $25. Worth it to feel crisp and sharp on formal nights. I think next cruise I will take only one really formal dress and wear it twice and one pair of black flats for dinner each night. No one will know you wore the same dress twice. I ended up wearing flats because there was a lot of movement on our cruise and I felt very unsteady in heels. Also next time is will bring one black skirt and several different tops for casual dinners. Most boys were wearing black slacks and a button down shirt at dinner, I didn't see many sports coats or ties on boys. Some polo tops on boys with khakis, even on formal nights. I would say a rule of thumb would be something you would have them wear to a wedding or to a church holiday service.

Exactly thinking of this for myself I.e. to pack one dress and wear it twice (especially as we're on my time so different waiters). I also can't wear heals.... Or only thick square ones so will be wearing these.

Not sure we'll bother with the service unless DHs suit is bad, but good to know it's there if needed.

Edited by LuCruise

Thanks for the link.

After travelling for business for 30 years and 15 years into retirement travel, I've tried almost every packing tip and trick. Here's what works for me. I pack most all of my clothes in 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags. Then I sit on the bag to expel the air and zip it shut. The bags take up less room and protect my clothing should the suitcase sit out on the tarmac in a rainstorm - yes, it happened to me - my clothes stayed dry.

When I unpack on the ship, should anything need to be "ironed" I hang it in the bathroom at shower time and that takes care of it. Easy beezy, lemon squeezy.

After travelling for business for 30 years and 15 years into retirement travel, I've tried almost every packing tip and trick. Here's what works for me. I pack most all of my clothes in 2 1/2 gallon zip lock bags. Then I sit on the bag to expel the air and zip it shut. The bags take up less room and protect my clothing should the suitcase sit out on the tarmac in a rainstorm - yes, it happened to me - my clothes stayed dry.

When I unpack on the ship, should anything need to be "ironed" I hang it in the bathroom at shower time and that takes care of it. Easy beezy, lemon squeezy.

Great tip. Funny enough I was thinking of putting each kids underwear and socks in a ziplock bag since they are always scattered throughout the suitcase and hard to find. Never thought of doing it for clothes though. Very good you had it when your stuff fell out, and in the rain!

Exactly thinking of this for myself I.e. to pack one dress and wear it twice (especially as we're on my time so different waiters). I also can't wear heals.... Or only thick square ones so will be wearing these.

Not sure we'll bother with the service unless DHs suit is bad, but good to know it's there if needed.

We have a garment bag we use for items like dresses, dress shirts, blazer, etc. We pack each item in it's own dry cleaner bag and they come out surprisingly wrinkle free.

Thanks for the replies. OK..so no shorts. Will bring long pants for him. He has some nicer t-shirts too that will probably work...
I know your title was "Dinner Attire", but just stating that shorts are okay in MDR for breakfast and lunch. Collar shirts are probably preferred, but kids shouldn't get hassle over a nice t-shirt.

I know your title was "Dinner Attire", but just stating that shorts are okay in MDR for breakfast and lunch. Collar shirts are probably preferred, but kids shouldn't get hassle over a nice t-shirt.

Thanks for mentioning. We may go to the MDR for breakfast or lunch so good to know they are less strict.

Really, Downy Wrinkle Releaser works wonders. I make sure it's in the off position then put in inside a Ziploc bag inside another. It doesn't take up much space. If you use some at home, a partial bottle is lighter, but take at least half.

Bathroom steam is good, but I need to dewrinkle more clothes than would fit in there. I do use dry cleaner bags, but I attract wrinkles like my boys used to attract dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We use compression bags (think Space Bags) that you put your clothes in and roll to get the air out. We also use ziplock bags for socks, undies, bathing suits, etc. They take up way less space. But be careful, as your suitcase might go over the weight limit if you are checking it at the airport! Because you can fit so much more in one bag.

Thanks for the link.

I bring an empty, small spray bottle and spritz the clothes that need it as they come out of the suitcase. Hang them up and when they are dry, no more wrinkles. Hand smoothing may be necessary on some fabrics, but that's an extra 5 seconds.