Recent Chairhog experience, a funny story

RickT

I was just on the Connie and awoke one sea day to discover it was raining. I went to Café al Bacio, grabbed a nice cafe mocha and decided to head to the solarium. Even though it was 7:30 AM there were already a few lounge chairs occupied by towels/books.

I grabbed a chair for me and my wife (who joined me 20 minutes later) and proceeded to enjoy a relaxing morning. At about 9:30 the Solarium was quite busy and I noticed that no one had shown up to use the chairs next to us even though their books/towels had been there since we arrived.

At about 10:00 a couple came by with the pool attendant and were looking for a chair so I let them know that no one had been sitting in the chairs next to us for over 2 hrs. The attendant took a card out of his pocket, put the time on it, removed the books/towels and put the books and card on a table next to us which said "chairs left unattended since 9:30" (he had noticed no one there) and told the couple they could take the chairs.

At 11:15 two ladies showed up and asked the couple what they were doing in their chairs. I pointed to the note and said their stuff had been removed since they hadn't sat down since putting their stuff on the chair since 7:30. One of the ladies said it hadn't been that long (but didn't argue it had been a while) and quickly said, "where is my bag?". I said only the books towels were there when I arrived.

About 10 minutes later they came over with security to ask about the bag. Again, no bag, only books/towels left unattended for hours. The security guy shook his head, asked if he could take a books and left with the lady.

Wow, a new level of stupidity. Was anything of value in the bag? Who knows. If so, why would you leave it. I doubt there ever was a bag, just trying to make life difficult for others since they lost their chairs.

Glad to hear about the pool butlers doing their jobs on Connie. I'm surprised that Security didn't talk to the pool butler, before bothering the guests. The lady probably left her beach bag in her room, and didn't remember. That can happen, when you routinely leave things lying about. :rolleyes:

And if they didn't think it had been "that" long since she left her things, maybe she left the bag elsewhere and forgot. The bag was probably saving a seat in the Ocean View Café for lunch. :D

Edited by Iamthesea

And if they didn't think it had been "that" long since she left her things, maybe she left the bag elsewhere and forgot. The bag was probably saving a seat in the Ocean View Café for lunch. :D

.. :D ..... or in the theatre for the evening show. :rolleyes:

I saw a classic last week on the Equinox. I got up pretty early one morning (before 6:00) and I was out wandering around with my camera and a cup of coffee. One enterprising couple had used their luggage straps to "tie" their towels to their chosen chairs.:eek:

Even worse outdoors when they hold a chair in the shade and another in the sun..and go off for breakfast ..really nervy!

That's the one that we always find amazing. One pair of chairs in the shade and the other in the sun. :rolleyes:

In one port we had an afternoon excursion so were sitting in the pool area that morning.

A family came, put towels & books on chairs, and LEFT to go on a Shore Excursion. :rolleyes: .. :rolleyes:

LuLu

I was told last week on the Equinox that I "was sitting in someone's chair!" I am a pretty big guy, so I immediately jumped up and apologized to the person that i had bee sitting on for the last hour and a half, and said that I hoped that they were not injured in any way! I must have damaged their vocal cords as there was no answer!:eek:

Where's my "LIKE" button! Good going, made me laugh out l:p:poud!!

I was told last week on the Equinox that I "was sitting in someone's chair!" I am a pretty big guy, so I immediately jumped up and apologized to the person that i had bee sitting on for the last hour and a half, and said that I hoped that they were not injured in any way! I must have damaged their vocal cords as there was no answer!:eek:

There is a flip side to this situation. Some years ago my DH and I headed to the pool, luckily found two empty lounges , put our stuff on them and then went to the poolside burger bar to get a snack. Gone maybe 15 min. Max and when we got back our stuff was sitting in the floor and the lounges were occupied by someone else's stuff. Needless to say, one of us should have stood guard while the other went for the snack!

Edited by Faie

Love it!:D Sorry our paths never crossed on the Equinox!

Love it!:D Sorry our paths never crossed on the Equinox!

Likewise Cindy, by the way did you guys get caught up in the ferry full transit of the Canal change to one lock? What was your reaction? Ours was not one of being pleased!:mad::mad::mad:

Likewise Cindy, by the way did you guys get caught up in the ferry full transit of the Canal change to one lock? What was your reaction? Ours was not one of being pleased!:mad::mad::mad:

We were surprised, and I would have liked to see Panama City. However, by the end of the day I was relieved. Honestly, by the time we exited the third "chamber" of the Gatun Locks, I was over it and just wanted to be back on the ship.:o I'm glad we did the ferry because we hadn't seen the canal before, but the only way I'll ever transit the Panama Canal again is if I happen to book a cruise that goes through!:D

I usually take delight in helping myself to paperbacks and magazines left behind by chair hogs, and sometimes upgrade my sunglasses too. It's the law of the sea, salvage rights and all to abandoned property.;) If the cruise line has a checkout system for pool towels, I help myself to chair hog towels too.

If I really feel like screwing with them, I'll move their chair hog nest to another section but not to adjacent loungers.:p

We were surprised, and I would have liked to see Panama City. However, by the end of the day I was relieved. Honestly, by the time we exited the third "chamber" of the Gatun Locks, I was over it and just wanted to be back on the ship.:o I'm glad we did the ferry because we hadn't seen the canal before, but the only way I'll ever transit the Panama Canal again is if I happen to book a cruise that goes through!:D

We cancelled the ferry and went to see the locks, old and new The Island Princess, which we have been on, was going thru the Gatun lock while we were there and my wife said the same thing as you!:)

I saw a classic last week on the Equinox. I got up pretty early one morning (before 6:00) and I was out wandering around with my camera and a cup of coffee. One enterprising couple had used their luggage straps to "tie" their towels to their chosen chairs.:eek:

Cindy, did you see the people that draped their t-shirts over the chair backs to save them? They were there almost everyday, unoccupied for hours! I did see the luggage straps and thought what next? Lol!

The Silhouette Solarium butlers were excellent, a few months ago, at picking up 'forgotten' items and keeping the chair hogs out of there. They were on a mission and I enjoyed the solarium very much.

The theater was another story. My husband and I arrived a half hour before the show every evening to get good seats. There were passengers reserving entire rows for their friends, who would arrive much later, sometimes after the show started. We witnessed several kerfuffles between passengers arguing over rows. It was obnoxious.

So here is my funny chair hog story. On the last night of the cruise, husband and I spotted some prime seats at the mid balcony rail, no obstructions and a ledge for our drinks. We noted there was a man standing at one end of the row, refusing to allow anyone to enter. So we slid into the other end of the row. Two women that had been rebuffed at Rude Man's end of the row asked if we were saving seats, we said ' of course not, please join us.' The dopey seat saver must have thought 'his row' was a dead end because he was surprised when he turned around to see us four strangers sitting in 'his row.'

He told us we should move because the seats are saved.

One of the woman asked, 'For who?'

Rude Man replied 'I'm saving them for my wife.'

Woman asked, 'How many seats does she need?'

Rude Man replied, 'All of them, for her friends.'

I told him 'That's not possible, seat saving isn't allowed.' The women agreed. My husband told him 'We're not moving.' End of discussion.

When Rude Man's wife finally showed up, she was very annoyed with him for messing up. She pouted throughout the show because some of her friends had to find other seats. It was strangely satisfying to stand our ground.

Edited by Marelaine

I LOVE hearing all these great stories of chair hogs getting their long over-due karma. Warms my heart! I feel that there's still a lot of improvement that needs to happen. But, on our recent Equinox sailing we noted staff removing items to open up chairs. The best thing that can happen is 50 drops of rain.......people run away like they're going to melt. The chairs REALLY open up then!

Cindy, did you see the people that draped their t-shirts over the chair backs to save them? They were there almost everyday, unoccupied for hours! I did see the luggage straps and thought what next? Lol!

Perhaps chaining a Pit Bull to the loungers, wearing a "Service Animal" vest?