Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

And this explosion in Istanbul yesterday in Istanbul’s Majid Yekoy neighborhood killing people.

This is getting real scary. We're booked on the Connie disembarking in Istanbul in November and they're lowering the price every day, but..........

http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/65280/terror-bureau-warns-israelis-to-leave-turkey-jerusalem/#S6QZKERu1c2lEikW.97

Sorry, but you are not correct. Even the web site you give link says that "2 people is injured", not killed. The bomb exploded in Mecidiyekoy was a noise bomb placed on highway near police station.

I also believe that most European cities are more dangerous than Turkish major cities. Because Turkish goverment is doing everything to catch and fight aganist local and foreign terrosit people. But as seen of the last bruxelles bombing, European countries do not follow and judge their sadistic citizens who goes to Syria for terrorism training, kill several people in every sadistic way and even taking selfie or playing football with their heads. Because these crime is simply not done in Europe, those goverments maybe see these actions like a hunting safari tour of their valued citizens. The people (and also families) will be a vey long term risc for European countries as most of them are sleeping cells.

So, everybody including me has right to be scared about the situation. We can decide to stay home for some years, But please do not try to show Turkey as the center of terrosit attacks.

I did last year leaving Istanbul on Equinox to Barcelona, booked same cruise this sept haven't booked airfare yet. If I pick choice air from celebrity will they adjust flight if they decide to change starting port from Istanbul ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since changing the starting (and ending point) of a cruise from Istanbul would cost Celebrity an average of about $1000 per person or about $6-8 MILLION dollars you will not see a change unless there is significant violence in Istanbul. There is terrorism in the US, Canada, the UK and everywhere. It is a fact of today.

FYI - Choice Air will assist in changing your flights but it is subject to the airline allowing it! There is no guarantee and it will likely be on your $$ less a small allowance by X. Again as said - likelihood is VERY small.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as I can see, this message relates to the warning issued on 29th March, not new information. Have I missed something?

Certainly, the linked-to page has nothing newer than March 29. Looks like a "monthly repeat".

Stuart

Well, I got this since I'm in STEP. And nope, I'm still leaving for Amsterdam for our Baltic cruise this Saturday :) U.S. Embassy Stockholm Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Police Investigation of Possible Threat in Sweden April 26, 2016 The U.S. Embassy in Stockholm has confirmed that Swedish Police are actively investigating a potential terror threat against Sweden. We encourage you to review the U.S. Department of State’s Travel Alert for Europe. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

Well, I got this since I'm in STEP. And nope, I'm still leaving for Amsterdam for our Baltic cruise this Saturday :) U.S. Embassy Stockholm Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Police Investigation of Possible Threat in Sweden April 26, 2016 The U.S. Embassy in Stockholm has confirmed that Swedish Police are actively investigating a potential terror threat against Sweden. We encourage you to review the U.S. Department of State’s Travel Alert for Europe. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.

Good for you for not letting these people rule your life. I would be doing the same.

As far as I can see, this message relates to the warning issued on 29th March, not new information. Have I missed something?

Yes you are correct, nothing new except that the Dept of State "continues" to receive credible information on potential threats. In government speak means, "The threat is still present, no end in sight, continue to be vigilant."

For the most part this is the same advice for most of Europe, however there are certain areas that are "riskier" than others.

We are doing the opposite. We have done several Med cruises in the past.

It seems to us that Med cruise prices have dropped. This has caused us to change our fall travel plans to include, if at all possible, a last minute Med cruise in Sept/Oct timeframe.

We have little time for some of the fear mongers on this site. Many of them seem to have little or no knowledge of geography.

Just wanted to add that I am now in Paris. Yes there is more security here, but I feel perfectly safe and have not altered my activities at all. Tourism is down 30% here which is terrible for the French so don't be afraid to support the French and come enjoy this gorgeous city - no more beautiful place anywhere in the world.

(And I will be also visiting Istanbul and Israel in the fall.)

Just wanted to add that I am now in Paris. Yes there is more security here, but I feel perfectly safe and have not altered my activities at all. Tourism is down 30% here which is terrible for the French so don't be afraid to support the French and come enjoy this gorgeous city - no more beautiful place anywhere in the world.

(And I will be also visiting Istanbul and Israel in the fall.)

Great your having a good time. So much to do and see in Paris

We are doing the opposite. We have done several Med cruises in the past.

It seems to us that Med cruise prices have dropped. This has caused us to change our fall travel plans to include, if at all possible, a last minute Med cruise in Sept/Oct timeframe.

We have little time for some of the fear mongers on this site. Many of them seem to have little or no knowledge of geography.

A lot of good deals out there. Wish we were retired

There is a new article on Cruise Critic today about Carnival itinerary changes for Turkey:

Carnival Cruise Line Drops Izmir Calls Following U.S. State Department Advisory

Following a warning from the U.S. State Department, Carnival Cruise Line has canceled calls on the port of Izmir, Turkey, on all upcoming sailings of Carnival Vista, the line's newest and largest ship.

Instead, all voyages through October will visit Kusadasi, Turkey, which is not included in the government-issued advisory.

Two important points: (1) Carnival is eliminating Izmir, but (2) the substitute is another port in Turkey (Kusadasi). So it seems that cruise lines are being careful on their passengers' behalf, but also being careful to assess the danger and not jump to a blanket "red-lining" approach.

• 3 weeks later...

That unmentionable site which offers the 90 day ticker is showing lots of Med cruises with Celebrity and other lines with very deep discounts for the next 3 months. Wish I were retired; could get a 7+7 day BtB for $998 total inside!

Stuart

That unmentionable site which offers the 90 day ticker is showing lots of Med cruises with Celebrity and other lines with very deep discounts for the next 3 months. Wish I were retired; could get a 7+7 day BtB for $998 total inside!

Stuart

Same here. I would be booked. It wouldn't put me off