Oasis class stateroom question. All opinions are welcome.

Hello all,

I'm planning a cruise with my girlfriend on the Harmony of the Seas this summer. I've been on three RCCL cruises prior, all voyager class, and on the last two, I've had balcony cabins, and honestly, don't want to go back to a stateroom that doesn't have a balcony.

Here is my dilemma. Both of the balcony stateroom I had were ocean view. Ideally, I would get another ocean view on the Harmony, but the price differential between an ocean view balcony and a central park or boardwalk balcony are significant. Now as I said, after having a balcony before, I feel like it's the only way to go, but that was when I was facing the open sea, not looking across at another person's balcony.

My question is this... Are the inner facing balconies worth it? Or would my money be better spent downgrading to an ocean view stateroom, minus the obvious balcony, but an unobstructed ocean view.

As I said in the subject, any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated.

¡¡Thanks!!

Edited by Illmaxict

Hello all,

I'm planning a cruise with my girlfriend on the Harmony of the Seas this summer. I've been on three RCCL cruises prior, all voyager class, and on the last two, I've had balcony cabins, and honestly, don't want to go back to a stateroom that doesn't have a balcony.

Here is my dilemma. Both of the balcony stateroom I had were ocean view. Ideally, I would get another ocean view on the Harmony, but the price differential between an ocean view balcony and a central park or boardwalk balcony are significant. Now as I said, after having a balcony before, I feel like it's the only way to go, but that was when I was facing the open sea, not looking across at another person's balcony.

My question is this... Are the inner facing balconies worth it? Or would my money be better spent downgrading to an ocean view stateroom, minus the obvious balcony, but an unobstructed ocean view.

¡¡Thanks!!

If you're wanting to see the ocean from your balcony, have privacy within reason while on the balcony and no one from balconies across being able to see you while out on the balcony or perhaps looking into your cabin when the lights are on and the privacy curtain not closed booking an Oceanview cabin may be more to your liking if an ocean balcony is not within your budget.

Here is my opinion; I know a lot of people don't agree, but you asked.

An ocean view balcony gives you a view of water, nothing but water. At night, you see black. I've had promenade inside cabins, Boardwalk and Central Park ones. I much prefer people watching when sitting on my balcony. I never worry about the people across from me. To be honest, it's rare that you ever have someone directly across at the same time you are there. If they are out, they're people watching, too...not watching you.

You do have to make sure drapes are closed when the lights are on.

There's a lot more action on the boardwalk, but the Central Park is so beautiful and peaceful at night. I actually liked the promenade one, but you have to be careful where you are. Once we were across from the champagne bar.....boring, no one was ever there.

On the Harmony, there are incentives for BW and CP balconies. I'm going over Thanksgiving and have a CP one this time.

Here is my opinion; I know a lot of people don't agree, but you asked.

An ocean view balcony gives you a view of water, nothing but water. At night, you see black. I've had promenade inside cabins, Boardwalk and Central Park ones. I much prefer people watching when sitting on my balcony. I never worry about the people across from me. To be honest, it's rare that you ever have someone directly across at the same time you are there. If they are out, they're people watching, too...not watching you.

You do have to make sure drapes are closed when the lights are on.

There's a lot more action on the boardwalk, but the Central Park is so beautiful and peaceful at night. I actually liked the promenade one, but you have to be careful where you are. Once we were across from the champagne bar.....boring, no one was ever there.

On the Harmony, there are incentives for BW and CP balconies. I'm going over Thanksgiving and have a CP one this time.

thanks for the input! that's something to consider. i suppose it really is up to one's taste. since it's me and my lady, I tend to want to romanticize it, which is why I initially would opt for the privacy and intimacy of the ocean rather than the boardwalk, but definitely another angle to consider. thanks!

We had an ocean view balcony on Allure. I would always go for an ocean view because the motion and sounds from the ocean are beautiful and soothing to me. A Central Park balcony would be quiet and romantic at night I thnk. If you want more action and people watching, I say go with the Boardwalk.

Personally, we would take the ocean view over the Boardwalk or Central Park balconys, we've tried them both. The Boardwalk, even with the door closed, is too noisy for us whenever there are activities in the Aqua Theater. Central Park is better but still not to our liking, some noise from the top deck. In a pinch, we would do the Central Park, we would stay home rather than doing the Boardwalk balcony.

As you said, the ocean view balcony is the way to go, but most of the time, they don't fit into our budget.

I'm sure you'll get some varying opinions, which is good, so here's my two cents... Between an ocean-facing balcony and an inside-facing balcony, I would always choose the ocean.

First, even the smaller-end outside balconies are, on average, slightly larger (this is based on the published deck plans on Royal's site). Also, I've noticed that you don't get much of a breeze on the inside balconies, but you'll almost always get a nice breeze and fresh air on the ocean side. I just prefer not having cabins directly across from me, but as you can see from other posts already, there is something for everyone.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!

Edited by TheInnocentAge

We have stayed in a boardwalk balcony cabin as well as an outside balcony cabin on Oasis class and I will say that that the noise level is a consideration. I saw a video online of a Central Park balcony and it was loud as well, but had a beautiful view. RC has taken away a lot of ocean-viewing public space (with the elimination of the Viking Crown lounge and of most of the aft 'secret' balconies) and turned them all into suites. It's harder to find more peaceful areas to view the water, if that is important to you. Therefore, I would opt for an ocean balcony if possible. With that being said, we have an upcoming cruise booked on Oasis with another boardwalk balcony due to the rates being a steal. The advantages would be people watching, seeing the aqua show and movies from the balcony, and having a water view (although slightly obstructed) off the back of the ship. I also read someone's post about perks coming in Nov 2016 for guests booked in these cabins, like free Johnny Rockets and more--can't remember all the benefits listed. Can't verify that information though. Enjoy your cruise on Harmony, whatever you decide.

Edited by cruisemoxy

any takers? lol

Under your circumstances, I might suggest a Boardwalk balcony as far aft as you can, you can at least see the ocean, but I still prefer the Ocean view and will sit out there when we come into ports in the morning.

I have been in a Ocean View Balcony on the Oasis, it was nice, but I really didn't spend much time out there. Was it worth it? For me, probably not. I do have a CP balcony booked for Oct 2016. I am looking forward to people watching with a bottle of wine.

I think that you need to decide how much time you will be spending on the balcony to make it worth it for you.

we were on the Oasis in January, and I would not want a neighborhood balcony, no privacy, and noisy. to me the beauty of a balcony is the peace and quiet and watching as we get into port and leave port. We had a smaller budget for that cruise (2 kids in college) and decided to go with inside cabins, no regrets. But I would pick boardwalk over central park, as you can see a glimpse of the ocean and is not as enclosed.

Given the choice, I'd take the oceanview balcony. My next choice would be an oceanview cabin with no balcony. Below that would be an inside cabin. I would only take an inside balcony if it was offered at a discount from an inside cabin, because I would not want to pay more to have to close the privacy curtains whenever I was in the room.

But I'm the sort that keeps the shades in his house drawn at night because I don't want my neighbors, who I know and am friends with, looking in my window. I certainly don't want a ship full of strangers peering in at me. ;)

I looked at the inside cabins while roaming Central Park/Boardwalk on my last cruise. To me, charging me money for that cabin would be somewhat akin to expecting the zoo gorilla to pay for his enclosure. ;)

Edited by Eslader

If the choice, for a romantic cruise, is interior (boardwalk, etc.) balcony or an Ocean View cabin, I'd go for the OV cabin. I've stayed in just about every category of stateroom and the only one I cannot (read will not) do again is the interior (no balcony, no window). I need that window on the world. I like having a balcony, but can do just fine with the ocean view. I can't imagine the things I'd have missed seeing if I didn't have that window. Well... actually, I've seen the things I would have missed... and they were awesome. :)

Holding hands, looking out at the world passing by or looking at people and kids running around eating hot dogs! (okay, maybe an over exaggeration, but you get the gist!) Just sayin....

Edited by artypharty

I sailed the Allure TA from Rome with a Central Park balcony Rome to Barcelona and a Boardwalk balcony BCN to FTL. I understand people liking the quiet of Central Park and the seclusion was nice but much preferred the Boardwalk balcony. I'll echo the suggestion to get as far aft as possible for the best ocean views. Watched the sun rise from my balcony several mornings, but was lucky to be on just the right heading for that.

I'd say try either Central Park or Boardwalk and see for yourself. You can always change your decision on the next cruise.

Roy

Under your circumstances, I might suggest a Boardwalk balcony as far aft as you can, you can at least see the ocean, but I still prefer the Ocean view and will sit out there when we come into ports in the morning.

This would be my vote. Best of both worlds. But if you can afford the ocean view, thats ideal.

Hello all,

¡¡Thanks!!

Just my opinion of course, but if you have the choice, I would take the ocean view over the inner balconies whenever possible, especially if you can upgrade to an ocean balcony. We had friends who stayed in one of the inner balconies, and it was sweltering hot due to no breeze whatsoever coming through there, even when the ship was moving. And not only could they not see the ocean, but what they could see was primarily other people staring back from 30 yards or so directly in front of them. Not ideal.

With an ocean balcony you realize you're actually on the ocean, which is why you're cruising to begin with, right? The breeze is great, and there is usually more room to move your chair around or stretch out on a towel than on the inside balconies. I'd rather see the passing islands, ports, other ships, pods of dolphins (even at night) in the ship's wake, the occasional sea turtle, or just the blue sky meeting the ocean at the horizon than anything I could see from an interior balcony.

For me, an oceanview room would be out because we really like to have a balcony (especially with 3 in a cabin). Obviously, ocean facing balconies are ideal and are our first choice, but if prices are too high, I would take a Central Park balcony before boardwalk. I absolutely love spending time in Central Park, so for me, that would be the next best thing after the ocean.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

For me personally, a cruise is all about the ocean. I would rather sit out on my balcony and look at the ocean than to "people watch". I can people watch any old time when I am in public places (especially the mall).

I do love having my privacy on my balcony and watching the water, other ships, and love looking at the stars at night. I bring my binoculars to see what else is out there (and love seeing other ships out there at night all lit up). On nights when I cannot sleep, I like to go out there and sit for awhile. I find it all very calming.

Everyone has his/her own opinion of what they like. Good luck on your choice. I'm sure no matter what you choose, you'll have a great time.

For me personally, a cruise is all about the ocean. I would rather sit out on my balcony and look at the ocean than to "people watch". I can people watch any old time when I am in public places (especially the mall).

I do love having my privacy on my balcony and watching the water, other ships, and love looking at the stars at night. I bring my binoculars to see what else is out there (and love seeing other ships out there at night all lit up). On nights when I cannot sleep, I like to go out there and sit for awhile. I find it all very calming.

Everyone has his/her own opinion of what they like. Good luck on your choice. I'm sure no matter what you choose, you'll have a great time.

Well said!!

(CC needs a Like button)

Money is apparently an issue. I'm in the same boat for my upcoming Oasis cruise. I'm bringing earplugs and I'm going to enjoy my Boardwalk balcony. I live in the solarium or up on deck so I know how to make it work when I have to. I had a BW balcony on the Allure and the noise at night if you're trying to turn in early can be heard through the balcony door. They also play music during the day on the BW. I wasn't in my cabin much during the day but a couple of times to drop stuff off or take a nap. I would close the door and close the drapes and it blocked a lot of the noise. This time with my added earplugs I'll be fine.

Another thing I learned about myself is I love the ocean and I enjoy looking at it. However, my major concern with a regular inside or just a window is no outside view and no fresh air. This is why a BW or Central park balcony works for me. I just need an outside view and fresh air and I'm fine.

I'm not one of those people who would cancel or not take a trip because I couldn't afford a balcony. I love them and I'm a balcony snob but I also have common sense, love to cruise, enjoy SOLO cruising and love the Oasis and Anthem class of ships. Balconies are hard to get on my $1000/pp balcony budget on these class of ships for the times I can cruise unless they have a deep discount sale. So with all that being said I booked a BW balcony and I'll get an ocean view balcony on the next cruise.

Edited by cynt

My opinion....I don't go to a beach resort to look at a parking lot...and I don't cruise to look at the interior of the ship.

For me, it's an OV balcony...or nothing. I'm not someone who wants to cruise bad enough to take ANY cabin...I want a view of the sea...and space enough to enjoy it all!