Diamond kids/young adult

I often see threads which include posts being upset by all the kids/teens/young adult who have diamond status based on their parents' points but did not "earn" them themselves.

In my experience, most people I know who cruise often usually bring the kids. I know my own kids are both Platinum on DCL and Diamond on RCI based on their own points and nights they actually spent onboard (DS17, might need one more night as we have cruised without him a couple of times--but we will be on 2 cruises, totally 20 nights before he turns 18, kicking him way over).

SO my questions is to other parents of kids/teens or young adults who hold diamond status (or higher I suppose)---did your child sail enough nights to have "earned" that status in their own right or not? I am curious to see how often this really happens (not that I care when it does, but apparently a lot of people do--so it got me wondering).

Edited by NHDisneylover

My granddaughters, ages 8 and 9, have cruised enough with me and their mother to be Diamond on their own. They have D+ status because of their mother. They will probably have enough cruises at age 18 to be D+ on their own. (They each started cruising when they were 3.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ARCruisinNana

... SO my questions is to other parents of kids/teens or young adults who hold diamond status (or higher I suppose)---did your child sail enough nights to have "earned" that status in their own right or not? I am curious to see how often this really happens (not that I care when it does, but apparently a lot of people do--so it got me wondering).

Our daughter sailed as a Diamond for around 5 years based on our status, before gaining enough points for that level herself recently.

Edited by clarea

Our youngest earned all the points (albeit at a child/3rd person rate). Of our other children, Two inherited Diamond status, as that is what we were when they turned 18. Three more inherited Emerald (for the same reason) and the oldest got nothing at all.

However, as a marketing tool it clearly works, as our oldest son (emerald) has booked his first cruise on Oasis this year, and for the others there is no other company than Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Jetdriver787

Our youngest earned all the points (albeit at a child/3rd person rate). Of our other children, Two inherited Diamond status, as that is what we were when they turned 18. Three more inherited Emerald (for the same reason) and the oldest got nothing at all.

However, as a marketing tool it clearly works, as our oldest son (emerald) has booked his first cruise on Oasis this year, and for the others there is no other company than Royal Caribbean.

There are adults that have earned status points at third person rates as well. There really is no concern to what dollar amount anyone acutally paid, unless they go to a $ spent system. If that happens then heads would explode on the CC boards.:eek::D:p:)

My son was D in his own right when he turned 18, we turned D+ shortly after but he still has a few more cruises to go as he doesn't come with us all the time now.

He's proof that the scheme works though as he's determined to reach D+ once he finishes uni and will be booking his own cruises:)

Julie

We are edging up to diamond and that will make our children that but they have not "earned" it. We take a cruise just the two of us every year because we feel like it's good to focus on each other occasionally without the kiddos. That being said they'll likely be diamonds in their own right by the time they're 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

DH and I and our three boys are Diamond+. Our 20 year old daughter is Diamond. Due to some extra cruises with my parents, she is Diamond on her own. However, our boys, who have only cruised with us, I'm not sure what level they are point wise.

We are edging up to diamond and that will make our children that but they have not "earned" it. We take a cruise just the two of us every year because we feel like it's good to focus on each other occasionally without the kiddos. That being said they'll likely be diamonds in their own right by the time they're 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're in a very similar boat. We should earn Diamond in 2017...and our kids are still pretty young, so they should get to Diamond 'on their own' by the time they turn 18 too.

But this is interesting as I was reading through the C&A rules, and my understanding is that kids no longer 'inherit' their parents' C&A status. Kids get their parents status while they're kids, but once they turn 18 their status becomes whatever they have 'earned' themselves.

It's my impression that it never used to be like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of kids lose out because of this....especially for families that don't start cruising until their kids are a bit older, and where it's a mix a family and couples cruises.

... Kids get their parents status while they're kids, but once they turn 18 their status becomes whatever they have 'earned' themselves.....

Not true. Children keep whatever level their parents had on the day the child turns 18.

Here is from the Crown and Anchor page:

"A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program-level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children of less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status".

My wife and I were first-time diamond cruisers on our recent sailing on the Liberty, and our son was classified as diamond because of our status. Otherwise, he would have been Emerald, but he'll be Diamond on his own points now. We only cruised one time without him.

Here is from the Crown and Anchor page:

"A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program-level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.

For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children of less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status".

Yeah...that's exactly the rules that I didn't find very clear...

So, is the current rule that when a child turns 18 that they continue to have the same status as their parents', or that they revert to the status based on cruise points they have earned?

For example, let's say I sail with my daughter when she's 17. I'm Platinum at 100 cruise points. She's Platinum during that sailing as my daughter, but only has earned 55 cruise points.

If the following year, when she's 18, would her card say she's Platinum (as she inherited my status), or Emerald (status based on points earned)?

My husband and I are diamond and outside of a few 4 day quick trips for just my DH and I to get away our kids cruise with us so they will hit D or D+ in their own right long before they are 18 as they are only 5 and 8 now. My son's first cruise was at 9 months and daughter's was at 10 months.

So, thus far, it sounds like the majority of young adults who carry Diamond status, they either sailed that many nights themselves as children, or close enough that they had that many nights truly on their own by, say, their mid 20s and there is not some huge glut of twenty somethings sailing now with Diamond status who only sailed one or two cruises growing up--in spite of all the implications that this is somehow a big issue on various threads.

So, is the current rule that when a child turns 18 that they continue to have the same status as their parents', or that they revert to the status based on cruise points they have earned?

For example, let's say I sail with my daughter when she's 17. I'm Platinum at 100 cruise points. She's Platinum during that sailing as my daughter, but only has earned 55 cruise points.

If the following year, when she's 18, would her card say she's Platinum (as she inherited my status), or Emerald (status based on points earned)?

Yeah--I agree that can be read two ways:

1. the parents are, let's say, Emerald when the child turns 18 so she is Emerald even if she has only been on one cruise. She remains Emerald (does not drop to gold) but does not become Diamond when her parents do a year later--she she to sail enough to hit 80 points on her own for that to happen.

or

2. The parents are Emerald when the child turns 18, but the child has only been one one 7 night cruise and reverts to gold status on her birthday.

Our daughter (12) is D+ based on our status, and would be D on her own. She may be D+ on her own by the time she turns 18, except we only sail RCCL maybe half the time. The rest we split over other lines, and also sail without her maybe 1/4 of the time.

I believe the last lines in the official document mean that if, for some reason, they aquire a higher tier because of parents after they turn 18 because it wasn't noticed they were 18. That it will then revert back to the status they had when they were 18. (So if you turn D+ when your child is 20, but not noticed by RCCL at the time, they can retroactively put them back to D as they were at 18).

Our two grandchildren are D+ (of course so are their parents) and they are both under 3 yrs old...They'll more than likely make it to Pinnacle someday...doubtful we ever will.

They retain the parents status but revert to their own points. They could be Diamond but only have 40 points. They would then need to accumulate 135 more points to get to D+.

When you stop and think about it, it really is fantastic marketing. The kids eventually inherit a couple of free drinks a night and an electronic "coupon book". However, the cruise line inherits another generation of Twenty somethings with possibly six decades of purchasing loyalty ahead of them.

When you stop and think about it, it really is fantastic marketing. The kids eventually inherit a couple of free drinks a night and an electronic "coupon book". However, the cruise line inherits another generation of Twenty somethings with possibly six decades of purchasing loyalty ahead of them.

I agree---a very shrewd move by the marketing department.

Our kids are both Diamond and Elite (X) in their own right. In fact, they've actually done more cruises than my DH as we leave him behind if he can't get the vacation time :o.

They are now working their way to D+ and Elite Plus ;). So no problem should the sister lines decide to stop the reciprocal benefits as Celebrity don't officially allow you to join their programme until you're over 18 :).

Edited by villauk