Choosing an Alaska Cruise, help needed

corley05

I am trying to help my parents book a cruise to Alaska for 2016. The rates in May are terrific but they figure that is for a reason. They do not mind cooler temperatures (they know they are going to Alaska). Has anyone done a cruise in May to Alaska?

Is there a good reason to spend twice as much to go in June or July? If so please share them with me.

They are leaning toward one of the HAL ships out of Vancouver. They have a credit they purchased on their last cruise. They are open going on another line, probably not Carnival tho.

I am hoping you guys can help me, help them make an informed choice. For them a balcony room is an absolute must have. The saving in May are significant. Even the cost of airfare is dramatically less in early to mid may.

Thank in advance for all your help.

I am trying to help my parents book a cruise to Alaska for 2016. The rates in May are terrific but they figure that is for a reason. They do not mind cooler temperatures (they know they are going to Alaska). Has anyone done a cruise in May to Alaska?

Is there a good reason to spend twice as much to go in June or July? If so please share them with me.

They are leaning toward one of the HAL ships out of Vancouver. They have a credit they purchased on their last cruise. They are open going on another line, probably not Carnival tho.

I am hoping you guys can help me, help them make an informed choice. For them a balcony room is an absolute must have. The saving in May are significant. Even the cost of airfare is dramatically less in early to mid may.

First thing, don't count out Carnival. The party ship thing that everyone loves to attribute to the line simply is not true for 7 night and longer cruises. 3-4 night cruises may be a party cruise no matter what line. Certainly isn't Hal, but there aren't many lines that are.

Pick the itinerary that is best for them rather than the cruiseline. Then find the ship that stops at the places they want to go. We are loyal to Royal Caribbean because they are best for the perks of frequent cruisers. We decided against the Explorer (one of our favorite ships) because the itinerary did not include Glacier Bay. We also wanted an itinerary that was round trip from Seattle. So we decided on Crown Princess just because of the itinerary.

I don't see any problem at all with May. It's just cooler on average

Edited by SeaUs

First thing, don't count out Carnival. The party ship thing that everyone loves to attribute to the line simply is not true for 7 night and longer cruises. 3-4 night cruises may be a party cruise no matter what line. Certainly isn't Hal, but there aren't many lines that are.

Pick the itinerary that is best for them rather than the cruiseline. Then find the ship that stops at the places they want to go. We are loyal to Royal Caribbean because they are best for the perks of frequent cruisers. We decided against the Explorer (one of our favorite ships) because the itinerary did not include Glacier Bay. We also wanted an itinerary that was round trip from Seattle. So we decided on Crown Princess just because of the itinerary.

I don't see any problem at all with May. It's just cooler

They are more concerned about the weather and why it is so much cheaper in May. We know that, for example, cruises are cheaper to the Caribbean during hurricane season. We don't know anyone that has taken an Alaskan cruise so I am reaching out the seasoned cruisers of CC for their opinions. Ultimately they will do what they want, lol.

If Carnival had what they were looking for they would go but the timing/cost/itinerary/departure just don't line up.

many people prefer later May departures because there is more snow on the mountains which provides better scenery, the weather tends to be sunnier and drier, vendors aren't burned out from tourist overload and most kids are still in school.

The downside of May is for a one-way cruise with land travel afterwards. That's because some hotels and vendors north of Anchorage don't open until Memorial Day, the park road into denali doesn't fully open until June 10, excursions not available.

May is too early for salmon runs and bear watching excursions.

But for a RT cruise out of Vancouver, May is a very nice option. There are plenty of May cruises in the trip report STICKY above for 2014 and 2015. Look thru them for ideas on activities, etc.

What's important to them as far as itinerary? Do they want to see Glacier Bay? Is Sitka high on the list? I agree with the PP who said choose the itinerary first.

Some of the reasons a May cruise is less expensive is that they'll likely see less wildlife, the salmon runs haven't begun yet, it can be more difficult to get close to glaciers (like in Tracey Arm for example). Yes, the weather is cooler, but I believe it has much more to do with these other reasons as people cruise Alaska to see those things and earlier in the season the chances of seeing them are lower. So, if wildlife and salmon fishing are priorities, they should consider a later cruise.

Thanks for these replies!

They don't really know what they want to see, they don't really have an expectation. They have not done much research on specifics.

I will share all of this and look through the sticky post to see what other information I can find for them.

We did an Alaska cruise in May several years ago. We went in May because it suited our budget.

It was cool several days, and we had 1 day with rain. But, we also had warm weather, in fact, we used the pool and hot tub.

We saw lots of wildlife including whales.

We sailed in Glacier Bay and it was spectacular.

Our ship was the Volendam (HAL). It departs from Vancouver (a beautiful city) on Wednesdays. We loved sitting in the Crow's Nest watching the scenery. On HAL, they open the bow for passengers while in Glacier Bay.

Hope they have a wonderful cruise.

We did an Alaska cruise in May several years ago. We went in May because it suited our budget.

It was cool several days, and we had 1 day with rain. But, we also had warm weather, in fact, we used the pool and hot tub.

We saw lots of wildlife including whales.

We sailed in Glacier Bay and it was spectacular.

Our ship was the Volendam (HAL). It departs from Vancouver (a beautiful city) on Wednesdays. We loved sitting in the Crow's Nest watching the scenery. On HAL, they open the bow for passengers while in Glacier Bay.

Hope they have a wonderful cruise.

This is the ship I recommended they take! Thank you for sharing!

corley50, we will be going on our fourth May cruise to Alaska, leaving Vancouver on April 30, on the Niewu Amsterdam. We love May for Alaska because we like seeing Alaska with some snow on her mountaintops, the lower prices, no mosquitoes and fewer children.

Our prior cruises were on the Norwegian Sun (twice) and Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas. Lately we have been cruising only with Holland America, which we really like.

If your parents would like to see some pictures of Alaska taken during the month of May, here are a couple of links:

Radiance of the Seas - May 18, 2012 - Seward to Vancouver (with a couple of days in Seward prior to the cruise), and

Norwegian Sun - May 13, 2013 - Vancouver round trip.

corley50, we will be going on our fourth We love May for Alaska because we like seeing Alaska with some snow on her mountaintops, the lower prices, no mosquitoes
Alaskan mosquitoes are Zika and Dengue free. It's one of the few wildlife you can feed in full safety.

July is popular with drier weather in Cascadia.

Have cruised several times in Alaska- always in May. Our first trip it was 85 degrees in Anchorage- about 20 degrees warmer than in San Diego. I had lots of layer clothes but not a lot for hot summer. Our other trips, all in May, have been lovely- we may just be lucky but we have never had rain or snow or poor weather. In the process of booking yet another Alaska cruise- this time in June. It will probably snow the entire time.

After having a very wet first Alaskan cruise, I did my research and found out that the end of May/first of June has historically had dry conditions in Alaska. I have cruised many times in May and have been very pleased.

The end of May is historically drier. Rain increases as the summer goes on with August and September being the wettest time.

Go at the end of May. It is beautiful.

My sister and I cruise to Alaska often (we live in the Seattle area, so it's an easy trip - no flying, no TSA, a short drive to the pier). We went the very beginning of May last year on HAL's Westerdam, round trip from Seattle. We picked that cruise because it was part of HAL's Sip-Savor-Sail program, with guest chefs, wine and beer tastings, and lots of food/wine activities. We had fantastic weather (except for a bit of gray and damp in Ketchikan), saw plenty of wildlife (though no bears), and had an all around terrific time. We usually do :D

I keep a travel blog with photos and commentary, if you're interested. Here's the relevant timeframe: https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2015/05/

Whenever your folks go, Alaska is not to be missed!

Edited by TheSecondSister

Have done Alaska in various months and had the worst weather during an August cruise. Just be sure they come prepared to layer no matter when they pick. The ports are generally the same wether RT from Seattle or one way between Seward and Vancouver but the one way is better for glacier viewing. One port exception is Sitka which not all lines go to.

Do they want to spend sone additional time in Alaska either pre or post cruise,because then the one way works better If they can seeing Alaska itself is beautiful.

HAL is a great choice - the go to Glacier Bay (not all of the lines do.)

No real advice on May - our first cruise was in early June. Our next cruise is July into August - so we can see bears.

I've sailed Alaska, every May for over 10 years. A very enjoyable time for me.

What it doesn't have is good fishing and bear tours aren't running.

IF the cruise has Tracy Arm on the itinerary, it does require an add on ship shore excursion. So be sure to budget that in the price. :) I'd also suggest, 3/4rd week of May over earlier.

I'm returning again this May.

Alaska is more about the itinerary and less about the ship/cruise line. If your prefer a specific cruise line, then select the best itinerary for them based on that. However, if they want to see something very specific on the cruise, then do a search for cruise lines that provide what they're looking for!

:)

Head to your library and get Frommer's or Fodor's Alaska guide books. Have your parents look at them and get an idea of what they want to see and do.

HAL is a wonderful cruiseline to Alaska. We love the teak Promenade deck on HAL as you can walk continuously all the way around the ship (not all ships have this feature). The fresh flowers all around the ship. We also like the small size of the HAL ships compared to others larger ships.

I like to start a graph chart with the ships/cruiselines across the top and then list the things to see and do down the side (size of ship, cabin type, dates of travel, ports, time in ports, sights, price, etc). As you research put an "x" in the conjoining box. As you near the end of your research one should have more x's than the others.

Your parents will have a wonderful trip, even if they don't do any excursions, at least we did our first trip to Alaska. It is an awesome destination.