Just wondering ... Rating of Customers?

Slarty

I'm not sure they get to rate us as such, but they do have files on repeat passengers. One cruise my brand new room steward (on his first contract) asked me the morning of the first full day on board if I still preferred my room made up early. I'm sure there is no way he would have known that I prefer to have the room made up as early as possible had there not been a chart somewhere. So I asked about it. And yes, they do keep notes with stated preferences for repeat passengers.

The room stewards also know when you have dinner and when you have ship-based shore excursions booked. It never ceases to amaze me how much they know about you.

They also get reports if you've been to the infirmary. (I know that from personal experience.)

Does our crew get to rate us too???

No, the crew does not do a formal (official) rating of passengers, although I suspect some crew members do "compare notes" on certain passengers ... it certainly would be interesting to see how the crews would rate some of the harridans, loblollies and cacafuegos on here ...

Edited by avian777

It might be interesting or even humbling for some of us if they did. There is a thread on the Crystal board about one of the Crystal bartenders writing a book. I am sure he (I assume its a he) has some interesting stories to tell.

It might be interesting or even humbling for some of us if they did. There is a thread on the Crystal board about one of the Crystal bartenders writing a book. I am sure he (I assume its a he) has some interesting stories to tell.

Doesn't that violate bartender - client privilege? That understanding pre-dates attorneys!

Doesn't that violate bartender - client privilege? That understanding pre-dates attorneys!

Right on, blizzardboy, although I question your timeline on the origin of various "privileges" - I thought the order of privilege communications was: (1) husband-wife, (2) attorney-client and then (3) bartender-client ... followed by innumerable others ... but, hey, who's counting?

No, the crew can not rate us formally. But I imagine they do talk about among themselves about us. I.E -- things like so-and-so is a good tipper.

Would not surprise me in the least!

In my youth I worked at a country club and we all knew who tipped the most and who were the nicest to deal with. Somethings never change.

If I ran Hotel Operations I know I would give the stewards a list of passengers in their area some basic information.

• Name
  • Star Level
  • Early/Late/Anytime
  • Any notes the TA, PCC, etc put in the booking
  • Alergy/Medical information as presented to HAL [within reason]

The list can go on, but anything to reduce questions and increase the quality of stay for the guests.

If I ran Hotel Operations I know I would give the stewards a list of passengers in their area some basic information.

• Name
  • Star Level
  • Early/Late/Anytime
  • Any notes the TA, PCC, etc put in the booking
  • Alergy/Medical information as presented to HAL [within reason]

The list can go on, but anything to reduce questions and increase the quality of stay for the guests.

Sounds like a good idea - I bet they do something like this.

No, the crew does not do a formal (official) rating of passengers, although I suspect some crew members do "compare notes" on certain passengers ... it certainly would be interesting to see how the crews would rate some of the harridans, loblollies and cacafuegos on here ...

I always get a tickle when I read about passengers who have "established a relationship" with their waiters. I imagine most would be very surprised to learn what the crew really think of them.

I certainly hope they refer to me as "that gorgeous redhead" :D

I would be known to them as the Pringles and chocolate lady. Early in my cruising days, I asked my room steward if he wanted me to bring him a treat from shore. I finally got it out of him that the room stewards loved Pringles and M&Ms. Before I get on a ship, I go out and get a few tubes of Pringles. I also get a plastic bowl and fill it with candy, so when they are cleaning my room, they can have a snack.

As someone who has worked in the hospitality industry for 17 years, I kept a card file on all our repeat guests with various information including special days, allergies, food preferences or other info that helped us make each visit special. They were always so pleased when we acknowledged a special occasion with a card or flowers or other appropriate remembrance. With the ease of the computer files now, it wouldn't surprise me if one was kept for passengers for crew to use.

Going back decades I have envisioned a large photo album, with names and notes on various passengers. Stewards are required to study the album in their free time, as well as review it while on vacation.

I don't really believe this is the case, but I doubt I am so far off, either. I am sure beyond a reasonable doubt that they not only remember us, but spread the word---or at least pay attention to how other stewards react to repeat passengers, and act on the cues.

Friends were on a cruise that I didn't take. On the first night or two they were asked "Where's Muumuu Lady?"

They know. ;)

Crew members get advance photos and info on frequent flyer repeat guests.

We sailed once with a travel agent who worked for cruise lines prior. She said some passengers are flagged if they like lots of attention. . In other words they are told which passengers are higher maintenance.

I can think of a couple high volume posters here that are probably on the list.