Could This Be a Sign of Official Movement towards More Casual Dining?

This being our first cruise, I cannot say what has been done in the past, but I can tell you that the dress info for each day so far have read this way -

Day 1 (Embarkation) - Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion - Casual

Day 2 (Coco Cay) - Tonight's Dinner Dress - Formal

Day 3 ( Sea Day) - Tonight's Dinner Suggestion - Smart Casual

Day 4 (St. Thomas) - Tonight's Dinner Suggestion - Casual

Day 5 (St. Martin) - Tonight's Dinner Suggestion - Casual

Day 6 (Sea Day) - Tonight's Dinner Dress - Formal

So, so far we've had 3 nights where the dinner suggestion has been "casual."

Is that common? Or indicative of a change?

Looks normal to me. Two formal nights on a 6-day cruise, the rest casual.

Agreed. That schedule is completely normal.

Ok. Thanks. I had thought that the suggested dress was either formal or smart casual. That casual was only suggested on embarkation day.

Ok. Thanks. I had thought that the suggested dress was either formal or smart casual. That casual was only suggested on embarkation day.

For a long time now, "no one" seemed to know what "smart casual" means. It was really always "formal" or "not formal". That's what you are seeing.

This being our first cruise, I cannot say what has been done in the past, but I can tell you that the dress info for each day so far have read this way -

Day 1 (Embarkation) - Tonight's Dinner Dress Suggestion - Casual

Day 2 (Coco Cay) - Tonight's Dinner Dress - Formal

Day 3 ( Sea Day) - Tonight's Dinner Suggestion - Smart Casual

Day 4 (St. Thomas) - Tonight's Dinner Suggestion - Casual

Day 5 (St. Martin) - Tonight's Dinner Suggestion - Casual

Day 6 (Sea Day) - Tonight's Dinner Dress - Formal

So, so far we've had 3 nights where the dinner suggestion has been "casual."

Is that common? Or indicative of a change?

It's approximately the same as the 3/26/16 Oasis cruise, except that formal nights were on the 2nd & 5th nights. I'm assuming that it's an 8+night cruise, since the 2nd formal is on the 6th night.

It's approximately the same as the 3/26/16 Oasis cruise, except that formal nights were on the 2nd & 5th nights. I'm assuming that it's an 8+night cruise, since the 2nd formal is on the 6th night.

Second formal night is EITHER #5 or #6, depending on itinerary/port calls.

First, what is smart casual? I was on the Brilliance last summer out of Harwich, and frankly, the attire in the MDR on smart casual night wasn't that much different than casual night. Some women were a bit dressier, but that was about it.

Second, I really wish RC would enforce the "no shorts" policy in the MDR. I saw a number of people on the Brilliance in shorts (and that, despite the fact that in my opinion, Norway, the Faroe Islands, and Iceland were too cold and rainy for shorts, but that's just from living for 50+ years in the Midwest). Last week on the Majesty, there were even more shorts in the MDR for dinner.

I know that formal attire is "suggested" in the MDR on formal nights, but no where does it say that shorts aren't suggested or pants and dresses/skirts are suggested. Everything I've read says no shorts in the MDR.

Traditionally, smart casual for men is a sport coat, as opposed to a suit or tuxedo. In practice, most people saw the word casual in there and interpreted it as casual. So, you won't usually see much difference. In fact, I think they've done away with the smart casual description for MDR on some ships.

First, what is smart casual? I was on the Brilliance last summer out of Harwich, and frankly, the attire in the MDR on smart casual night wasn't that much different than casual night. Some women were a bit dressier, but that was about it.

Second, I really wish RC would enforce the "no shorts" policy in the MDR. I saw a number of people on the Brilliance in shorts (and that, despite the fact that in my opinion, Norway, the Faroe Islands, and Iceland were too cold and rainy for shorts, but that's just from living for 50+ years in the Midwest). Last week on the Majesty, there were even more shorts in the MDR for dinner.

I know that formal attire is "suggested" in the MDR on formal nights, but no where does it say that shorts aren't suggested or pants and dresses/skirts are suggested. Everything I've read says no shorts in the MDR.

We are booked on our first cruise next year, so I am wondering what to expect, by out of curiosity, why does it matter to you if somebody else wears shorts? It doesn't effect you, as I doubt you will be in a picture with them unless they are part of your party, but then you have more say in the matter.

We are booked on our first cruise next year, so I am wondering what to expect, by out of curiosity, why does it matter to you if somebody else wears shorts? It doesn't effect you, as I doubt you will be in a picture with them unless they are part of your party, but then you have more say in the matter.

Because on Cruise Critic, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion....

Because on Cruise Critic, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion....

I think they were asking what does the opinion of someone saying they think it was "too cold" matter. Everyone's comfort level is different. Obviously those in shorts were not uncomfortable regarding the temperature outside. To me that is different than holding the opinion on if it should or should not be allowed. But that's just my interpretation of the comment and question.

I think they were asking what does the opinion of someone saying they think it was "too cold" matter. Everyone's comfort level is different. Obviously those in shorts were not uncomfortable regarding the temperature outside. To me that is different than holding the opinion on if it should or should not be allowed. But that's just my interpretation of the comment and question.

It was a little bit of both. Why care if somebody does wear shorts, as it doesn't affect you? I also think if they allowed nice shorts (officially) for casual, it would make sense. I understand a no shorts rule for formal night, but even then if somebody doesn't follow it, if I am in a tux, and somebody else is more comfortable in shorts, so be it. It does not affect me whatsoever.

Now, to me there is a difference between nice shorts (like say khaki shorts) and swim trunks. But again, if they loosened the rules a bit (especially for casual nights), I would have no problem with that.

I was not quoting him Max....go back and read again. I was not quoting that person. I was quoting the person that said "what does it matter to YOU what I wear, I am not in your pics". I was defending the person that gave their opinion.....because everyone is entitled to theirs. :):)

Just wanted to add one more thing as far as men in shorts. MY opinion is, I see nothing wrong with men wearing nice shorts. Seems to me, women get away with a lot more in the dress code. They can wear super short dresses, very LOW cut shirts/dresses..."dressy" shorts with cheeks hanging out......so what is so offensive with men wearing nice shorts? NOT ON FORMAL night.