Question about valuables on embarkation day...

My first cruise in just less than 2 weeks away, so of course that’s all I am thinking about!

Here’s a question I have that I haven’t found the answer to…

When I get on the plane, I carry a big tote and take my precious toys (my camera, laptop & electronic stuff) in a rolling carry-on, because I don’t want to put them in a position where they could disappear. But when I get on the ship - I’m not so sure what to do with that bag. Do most of you leave that stuff with the porter when you drop off the other luggage? Or drag the thing around the ship before they let you in your room (I’m planning to show up early so I might have a few hours to carry my carry-ons around).

I’m looking forward to hearing your advice!

We carry our valuables on too. And don't forget you get 2 bottles of wine per cabin. Carry those on also, for me they're considered "valuable." :) When you get on board, find the nearest bar, grab a chair and a drink and hang out until the cabin is available (usually 1 pm).

My first cruise in just less than 2 weeks away, so of course that’s all I am thinking about!

Here’s a question I have that I haven’t found the answer to…

When I get on the plane, I carry a big tote and take my precious toys (my camera, laptop & electronic stuff) in a rolling carry-on, because I don’t want to put them in a position where they could disappear. But when I get on the ship - I’m not so sure what to do with that bag. Do most of you leave that stuff with the porter when you drop off the other luggage? Or drag the thing around the ship before they let you in your room (I’m planning to show up early so I might have a few hours to carry my carry-ons around).

I’m looking forward to hearing your advice!

Our tradition is to have one carry on between us, but I have extra heavy duty camera strap that is comfortable and the camera doesn't flop around when you bend over. We eat on board, the change, in rest rooms into our swim suits and sit by the pool until the rooms are available. But we are northerners who around this time of year haven't seen the son in 6 months. Of course your going on Freedom for the first time, so there is a lot to see, so consolidate as much as you can.

Keep it with you.

If you want to hit the pool before everyone else does pack some swimwear and sunblock in your carry on.

You will see lots of people with a carry on sized piece of luggage wheeling it around.

There was a post here recently (either this board or Celebrity) from someone who wasn't thinking and checked the bag with his laptop, expensive headphones and other valuables. When the checked bag reached his room, all the good stuff was gone. This eventually (so he says) launched an investigation with Miami police. Some of the stuff was recovered, and if I recall correctly, taken for evidence. He was in a big battle with the cruise line and the police to get his stuff back.

Moral of the story, as others have advised you already, anything of value stays with you at all times :D

It's not very often that I come across such universal advice on a message board! It didn't seem to be a good idea to leave those things unattended with strangers, but I didn't want to be the lone weirdo dragging my suitcase with me. Thanks so much for the reassurance! And for the other embarkation day advice too!! :D

It's not very often that I come across such universal advice on a message board! It didn't seem to be a good idea to leave those things unattended with strangers, but I didn't want to be the lone weirdo dragging my suitcase with me. Thanks so much for the reassurance! And for the other embarkation day advice too!! :D

Virtually everyone is dragging or carrying something around before the staterooms open.:)

Anything of any value should never leave your possession. I even pack a change of clothes and extra undies in my carryons. You just never know.

I'm with you on that one. We've never had an issue before personally, but I've read on this board about people that did. One, their luggage was accidentally dropped into the water and the guy had not only his laptop ruined but it did a number on their clothes, after which I started packing using the space bags that are supposedly water proof ( idk if they really are but makes me feel better and I get more in the suitcase) and another where they couldn't find their luggage so were without a change of clothes for a while ( pretty sure they eventually found it). Anyway, better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'll offer a different option - I give everything to the porter except a tote bag that has swim suit, wine, allergy meds, phone and iPad. We don't bring any other "toys" or valuables on board.

That isn't different. You still keep one bag with you. You aren't leaving any valuables with the porter, whether it's because you keep them with you or you don't have any more.

(I’m planning to show up early so I might have a few hours to carry my carry-ons around).

Even if you show up early, it's probably only a couple hours at the most that you'll be on the ship with your carry-ons. Cabins are normally available around 1:00pm, and you'll most likely not be on the ship before 11:00am. Those times can vary on different ships, depending on the docking times, but it's usually something like a 2-hr window between the first people boarding and when rooms are open.

I have to agree with everyone else. And if the bag you keep is your airline carry-on bag, which it should be, it should be fairly easy to lug around.

You'll get access to your stateroom fairly quickly. However, when you'll get the rest of your bags can vary greatly depending on the ship and how the crew chooses to load the bags. I wouldn't worry about packing evening clothes, but anything you know you will need during the first day should be in that carry-on.

I would try to fit the necessities, including your camera, into a large backpack. It will be much easier for you to handle after you are aboard, especially while you are waiting for access to your room or going through the buffet for a bite of lunch.