Getting to the Park Cafe on embarkation day lunch

BillOh

I recognize this is a self serving thread, but heck , it might benefit somebody. I followed many Oasis reviews back in 2009 and 2010 and then Allure when we finally decided to book her. The secret for a while was avoid the Windjammer and go to the Park Cafe for the Roast Beast sandwiches. By the time our 2011 cruise came around reviews said the lines were long pretty quickly. In our 2011 cruise when we were Platimum we had our boarding lunch at the Dog House and our on way back through Central Park the lines were out the door. (12:30) We did the same thing and saw the same result in 2013 when we were emerald. Both times we would go the Park and have a sandwich right before muster when there was no crowds.

We are preparing for our first diamond cruise in a couple of weeks and my wife asked if going to the Park Cafe first might be better now that we are Diamond (New Diamond Perk :D ) Any Diamond members relate? I can tolerate a short line and maybe even sitting out in the Central Park. I know we will board after B2B, suites+Pinnacle, Diamond +, but assuming we get to the port before boarding actually starts as it our norm, will the line at Park be bad when we get there? Any recent Diamonds relate?

We've always found the lines not to be too bad the earlier you go on Day 1. In fact it's usually been so busy later in the cruise that's often been the only time we've had the Roast Beef sandwich (never had roast beast tho ;) )

I think the problem lies with the layout of the venue as people stand in line outside when some of them want the salads or toasted paninis etc from the counter on the left whilst some only want the roast beef sandwich from the counter facing the door but everyone stands in the same line - they really should have a line just for the roast beef sandwiches or have the server asking does anyone only want roast beef.

We boarded Oasis with Platinum level folks last September and got the last table inside Park Cafe. So you should be OK boarding with Diamond level.

What's the boarding order? We're also diamond, but will be in a (Star) suite next month.

Tom

We went straight to the Park Cafe on embarkation on the Oasis last week as part of the end of the Gold group and were able to snag the last table outside in the park. As a Diamond, you should be good to go, assuming our sailing was typical.

we boarded OA as Diamond Plus last August and the line was out the door. I had told my husband that Park Cafe would be easier than WJ and we could get the Kummelwick there. Boy, did that make me wrong...and every husband knows his wife is NEVER wrong.

What's the boarding order? We're also diamond, but will be in a (Star) suite next month.

Tom

B2B guests, wedding parties, suite guests & Pinnacle members, D+, and down.

I recognize this is a self serving thread, but heck , it might benefit somebody. I followed many Oasis reviews back in 2009 and 2010 and then Allure when we finally decided to book her. The secret for a while was avoid the Windjammer and go to the Park Cafe for the Roast Beast sandwiches. By the time our 2011 cruise came around reviews said the lines were long pretty quickly. In our 2011 cruise when we were Platimum we had our boarding lunch at the Dog House and our on way back through Central Park the lines were out the door. (12:30) We did the same thing and saw the same result in 2013 when we were emerald. Both times we would go the Park and have a sandwich right before muster when there was no crowds.

We are preparing for our first diamond cruise in a couple of weeks and my wife asked if going to the Park Cafe first might be better now that we are Diamond (New Diamond Perk :D ) Any Diamond members relate? I can tolerate a short line and maybe even sitting out in the Central Park. I know we will board after B2B, suites+Pinnacle, Diamond +, but assuming we get to the port before boarding actually starts as it our norm, will the line at Park be bad when we get there? Any recent Diamonds relate?

If you board early enough you should not see long lines. We boarded late as there were 2 cases of chicken pox and boarding for all was delayed by an hour. Went to Studio B for my add'l entertainment tickets; found out that I needed to go to a Kiosk set up in the promenade for this service, made SR reservations and after all of this activity, met my party at Park Café and no real long lines encountered. Had table(s) for 8 inside, without any problems.

Tom

From memory, which mine is becoming questionable is

B2Bers

Suite and Pinnacle +

Diamond + (I don't remember if Diamond and Diamond Plus is one section or 2 at Terminal 18) someone will reply, I'm new at this Diamond thing

Emerald

Platinum

Gold and first time cruisers.

I think this is how they did in 2011 and 13 on Allure, but we all know with Royal, things change.

I didn't think of wedding guests! I've only seen that twice, on Jewel and Freedom. Sure hope they don't have a wedding that uses the Central Park!

1st off welcome to the Diamond life and the key that opens the special door:p

Boarding as a Diamond has been a lot quicker than Platinum/Emerald so you should have no problem with lines at Park café embarkation day.

From memory, which mine is becoming questionable is

B2Bers

Suite and Pinnacle +

Diamond + (I don't remember if Diamond and Diamond Plus is one section or 2 at Terminal 18) someone will reply, I'm new at this Diamond thing

Emerald

Platinum

Gold and first time cruisers.

I think this is how they did in 2011 and 13 on Allure, but we all know with Royal, things change.

On 3/26 Oasis cruise, D & D+ were in the same row--right seats for D+ and left for Ds.

Park café was crammed when we walked by on the first day, I wouldn't have been able to breathe in there. We stopped by later and got one of these much talked about roast beef sandwiches. I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. My son had a cheese Panini that was pretty good though.

Have never been on a RCCL cruise where they had a boarding order. As Elite+ on Celebrity we have always sailed Diamond on RCCL or on 3 occasions were Suite guests too. We are on Oasis in December so will we be advised of the time to arrive at Port C? We normally board Celebrity in Port E around 11:30 each cruise. You have thoroughly confused me. Read your posts frequently and it appears you know what you are talking about....not so for many others.

We saw strollers and people with canes, walkers etc. boarding first.

Passengers with strollers and mobility aids also boarded in order of C & A level as well as if they're booked in a Suite. I know because I'm a higher level C&A and use a mobility scooter.

We saw strollers and people with canes, walkers etc. boarding first.

At least in 2013 on Allure these people seemed to board after the initial rush. But the ones I knew about where on the gold side.

Edited by BillOh

Park café was crammed when we walked by on the first day, I wouldn't have been able to breathe in there. We stopped by later and got one of these much talked about roast beef sandwiches. I honestly don't see what the fuss is about. My son had a cheese Panini that was pretty good though.

They do vary, and we have previously waited till about 3:30 to get them. Its as much as making a tradition as anything else. We have plenty of our cruise traditions. I have already mapped out the path from walking in the promenade to the Park Cafe. If the line is long or seating is not what we want. we will go with plan B. After that, assuming sunshine, we will be by the Beach Pool immediately after.

It's been a few years, but I don't recall a long wait, and I think we were platinum on our last cruise. We checked in, got on the ship and went straight to Park Café. We waited a few minutes for a table, and plopped down DH with all the carryons. The kids and I went and got our food.

A lot of people "hang out". As soon as we were done eating, we cleared out so that someone else could have our table.