O life

Solas36

Sorry if this has been asked before but a search for O life was not fruitful.

We are looking at a cruise with O life options of 3 free excursions or house beverage package or OCB.

Question is - ANY 3 excursions? Or is there a price limit to what is on offer?

We are not big drinkers but would have wine with meals.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for any info.

Sorry if this has been asked before but a search for O life was not fruitful.

We are looking at a cruise with O life options of 3 free excursions or house beverage package or OCB.

Question is - ANY 3 excursions? Or is there a price limit to what is on offer?

We are not big drinkers but would have wine with meals.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for any info.

The restrictions are on the "OLife" page of the Oceania website, under "Special Offers". (bold inserted by me) :

Terms and Conditions OLife Choice

*Standard terms apply. View complete terms and conditions in addition: Any noted Shipboard Credits are per person, based on double occupancy. Free Internet is one per stateroom. OLife Choice amenities are subject to change. OLife Choice free shore excursions vary by voyage and exclude Oceania Choice, Oceania Exclusive and Executive Collection. Voyages up to 9 days receive 3 free shore excursions; 10-12 days receive 4 free shore excursions; 14+ days receive 5 free shore excursions. If shore excursion amenity is selected, all excursions must be chosen at least 14 days prior to sailing. OLife Choice beverage package amenity is House Select. Guests in the same stateroom must choose the same OLife Choice amenity and amenity must be chosen by final payment. Not all promotions are combinable.

Thank you for this information.

3 free of the regular shore ex which average about $150 each that $450 value, however a value sorely inflated and for which you could do for 1/2 on your own. Or $500 OBC..... or 40 a day liquor package for 10 days, or $400 which you can up grade for a mere $20 pp/pd

In this case take the $500. However if your agent gives you prepaid grats then maybe not

From experience, taking the drinks package, even as a mild to lite drinker, and up grading either at the start or waiting several days to a week into the cruise becomes in reality the best costs saving

It can change with the cruise You have to do the math but. as I said, the cost of the shore ex are inflated way beyond reality. and not a fair comparison Where as the liquor which carries an 18% gratuity and results in wine 12 to 18 a glass a beer almost $8 and a double mix drink ( 2 gills) about $24 with tip.... is a hard and fast thing you have to factor and can not g escape without drinking in your cabin.... and thats no fun day after day.

Many of us here disagree on the value of the drink package or the "free" excursions. I personally prefer to take the free internet ...

But it also depends on your itinerary. If you have an active roll call -- of the three cruises we have booked through April 2017 NONE of the roll calls are very active! -- you can do better with private tours if you are willing to do the work ... or meet up with someone who will work with you.

We personally prefer private tours but on our June CPH-Southampton cruise on Nautica we are doing a few ship's tours, the rest on our own. We've been to many of these ports before. For the Russian ports we aren't getting a visa, so we will use ship's tours there.

In October we're on a TA from Barcelona to NYC, and in that case we are using 5 "free" ship's tours because again we've been to most of these ports before but the ones we have chosen take us out of town to new places. We're waiting to see what will happen with our April 2017 Miami-Lisbon cruise. Again, some of the ports are repeats, others are not.

You need to do your work beforehand to see what works best for you.

As to the liquor package, if I were to take it I would never take the cheaper version which is offered with oLife. It is too limiting. BUT upgrading costs you $20pp per day, and depending on the length of your cruise -- well, think about it. Since my husband drinks hardly at all, and I may have a drink in our room (I bring the bottle on board with us) and then a glass or two of wine at dinner, it's not an option for us. Remember, BOTH of you have to take the package on oLife. Sometimes that is a dealbreaker, as it is for us.

Just compare everything before you make a decision.

Mura

Hawaiidan: I really appreciate your posts but find all explanations about Oceania's "new" policies to be so difficult to understand that we are not even looking at Oceania cruises. Between the acronyms, complicated explanations, etc., it simply is not worth trying to figure it out (at least not at the moment).

If/when we decide to take another Oceania cruise, we will speak with our TA and get what we hope is a simple explanation. When I first visited the Oceania board, I had no idea what anyone was talking about ("O" ships, "R" ships - now "O Life"). I visit many boards on Cruise Critic and, with the exception of NCL, find ship references and policies to be clear and concise.

Thank you for trying to explain. IMO, whoever is writing these policies needs help. Oceania is a great cruise line with many great benefits. However, their explanations of what is offered deserves a grade of "F".

Travelcat2, I agree Oceania has made promos like O Life soo complicated Once you choose a promo new questions follow and hours checking and comparing options and hoping you chose wisely

Not the ideal way to a plan a cruise vacation

Many of us here disagree on the value of the drink package or the "free" excursions. I personally prefer to take the free internet ...

But it also depends on your itinerary. If you have an active roll call -- of the three cruises we have booked through April 2017 NONE of the roll calls are very active! -- you can do better with private tours if you are willing to do the work ... or meet up with someone who will work with you.

We personally prefer private tours but on our June CPH-Southampton cruise on Nautica we are doing a few ship's tours, the rest on our own. We've been to many of these ports before. For the Russian ports we aren't getting a visa, so we will use ship's tours there.

In October we're on a TA from Barcelona to NYC, and in that case we are using 5 "free" ship's tours because again we've been to most of these ports before but the ones we have chosen take us out of town to new places. We're waiting to see what will happen with our April 2017 Miami-Lisbon cruise. Again, some of the ports are repeats, others are not.

As to the liquor package, if I were to take it I would never take the cheaper version which is offered with oLife. It is too limiting. BUT upgrading costs you $20pp per day, and depending on the length of your cruise -- well, think about it. Since my husband drinks hardly at all, and I may have a drink in our room (I bring the bottle on board with us) and then a glass or two of wine at dinner, it's not an option for us. Remember, BOTH of you have to take the package on oLife. Sometimes that is a dealbreaker, as it is for us.

Mura

I'm pretty sure it's Unlimited internet, PLUS one of the other 3, excursions, drink package or OBC. So the internet is a given, not an option.

Just to clarify as I don't think I've seen anyone mention it above - the OBC is per person. So if you're getting the offer of three excursions, I'm assuming it's a cruise 9 days or under which would get you a total of $600, $300 each.

I opted for $800 OBC as we have no sea days.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Mura

With "O Life," everyone gets the free internet (one account) PLUS a choice of one of the other three "per person" perks, i.e., excursions OR alcohol OR OBC.

Travelcat2, I agree Oceania has made promos like O Life soo complicated Once you choose a promo new questions follow and hours checking and comparing options and hoping you chose wisely

Not the ideal way to a plan a cruise vacation

I see nothing complicated or difficult to figure out....To me its a pretty simple and basic deal.... lets see there are 3 options.... pick one that has the most appeal to you...it aint rocket science and no more difficult than deciding what toppings you want on a pizza....

With "O Life," everyone gets the free internet (one account) PLUS a choice of one of the other three "per person" perks, i.e., excursions OR alcohol OR OBC.

Is this kind of like the old Fed Ex commercial? Did you hold your hands differently while you were typing?

I see nothing complicated or difficult to figure out....To me its a pretty simple and basic deal.... lets see there are 3 options.... pick one that has the most appeal to you...it aint rocket science and no more difficult than deciding what toppings you want on a pizza....

Definitely agree Dan, what's hard to understand about it?

Edited by ORV

<snip>

We've been to many of these ports before. For the Russian ports we aren't getting a visa, so we will use ship's tours there.

Mura

Just a minor but important point - you can use tour companies and they arrange a special waiver. You must give them your passport number, but there is no charge for the service. You don't have to send your passport to them. So you needn't use ship's tours even in Russia or not to avoid getting a visa, at least!

This was the case a couple of years ago and I don't believe this has changed.

Just a minor but important point - you can use tour companies and they arrange a special waiver. You must give them your passport number, but there is no charge for the service. You don't have to send your passport to them. So you needn't use ship's tours even in Russia or not to avoid getting a visa, at least!

This was the case a couple of years ago and I don't believe this has changed.

It has not changed. I'm in touch with a highly regarded tour operator right now about St Petersburg tours (3 days while there on Marina) and they handle the visa for no charge. Only stipulation, you may not wander off on your own at any time - you must stay with your guide.

It has not changed. I'm in touch with a highly regarded tour operator right now about St Petersburg tours (3 days while there on Marina) and they handle the visa for no charge. Only stipulation, you may not wander off on your own at any time - you must stay with your guide.

Technically speaking but not necessarily in practice - although this may vary from guide to guide.

We spent an evening in St. Petersburg with a driver (as part of SPB tours). One of us climbed the tower of St. Issac's at dusk while the others waited in the park nearby (the driver stayed in the car). Later we went alone for a dessert and tea to a cafe in the Singer building and the driver picked us up 40 minutes later.

So it is possible to be on your own for a while but not guaranteed.

BTW - if you are are interested in Faberge, ask your tour operator to include a visit to the Faberge museum. It's a special treat.

Edited by Paulchili

Thanks for all the helpful information re Olife. Decided on OBC as gives us most flexibility. Now investigating ports of call and alternative ways to explore.

An added point: when folks compare the O Life OBC to the excursions, remember that, if you take the OBC, it can be used to purchase the discounted O excursion groupings. I mention this because some folks might only look at the retail prices of the excursions in making the dollar comparison.

Likewise, in looking at the alcohol package (either the house or premium) value, remember than the 18% gratuities are included. If you consume four alcoholic drinks per day, the premium package is worthwhile (price wise). We've always taken the premium package. But, that has been on voyages not exceeding 18 days. We're signed up for two longer cruises (24 and 38 days) and will probably not do the package because our alcohol consumption will be adjusted downward over such long time periods.

An added point: when folks compare the O Life OBC to the excursions, remember that, if you take the OBC, it can be used to purchase the discounted O excursion groupings. I mention this because some folks might only look at the retail prices of the excursions in making the dollar comparison.

Likewise, in looking at the alcohol package (either the house or premium) value, remember than the 18% gratuities are included. If you consume four alcoholic drinks per day, the premium package is worthwhile (price wise). We've always taken the premium package. But, that has been on voyages not exceeding 18 days. We're signed up for two longer cruises (24 and 38 days) and will probably not do the package because our alcohol consumption will be adjusted downward over such long time periods.

Is the premium package included as part of the O Life? Also if you take the OBC you can only use if with O and not private tours. And even to book an Oceania tour with your OBC it has to be done after you board and some tours could be sold out. We will try the O Life tours and see how they work out. Hope for the best. :):):)

Is the premium package included as part of the O Life? Also if you take the OBC you can only use if with O and not private tours. And even to book an Oceania tour with your OBC it has to be done after you board and some tours could be sold out. We will try the O Life tours and see how they work out. Hope for the best. :):):)

It's the lesser "house" package which I think is wine and beer only and restricted to meal times (though other posters have indicated that you can upgrade once on board for the $20/day difference to "prestige package."

OBC can't be used for non-O tours. And you can't use OBC for pre-cruise purchase of O tours.

For us, which tours to use depends on locations. On recent Polynesia, arranged all our own. In Alaska, used ship tours. In Med, it was a mix of ship and private.

The package you get with the new O life is the basic it is a 20 a day pp to up grade ...which is a very good deal. We generally avoid cruises that are not at least 50% sea days and 15 to 21 days.and in warm climates like the Pacific. where there exists a natural tendency to drink socially a bit more .

So the prem package is a real savings. Flatbush is correct 4 drinks a day and that includes wine with dinner is going to make the prem package MORE than worth it...

Too, we never use O's tours ( on our nect cruise we got them pre Jan and got Gratuities, internet, 5 tours worth 1700. You wont see that deal anymore..

I dont go for the OBC because our agent usually provides us with much better than O offers.

If you select the tour option you have to consider that it's value is a good 100% inflated in value as to what you could do.

So, what to take... is a function of YOU, the type of trip, the number of sea days, your personal habits. Its going to be different for every person for every cruise...

The package you get with the new O life is the basic it is a 20 a day pp to up grade ...which is a very good deal. We generally avoid cruises that are not at least 50% sea days and 15 to 21 days.and in warm climates like the Pacific. where there exists a natural tendency to drink socially a bit more .

So the prem package is a real savings. Flatbush is correct 4 drinks a day and that includes wine with dinner is going to make the prem package MORE than worth it...

Too, we never use O's tours ( on our nect cruise we got them pre Jan and got Gratuities, internet, 5 tours worth 1700. You wont see that deal anymore..

I dont go for the OBC because our agent usually provides us with much better than O offers.

If you select the tour option you have to consider that it's value is a good 100% inflated in value as to what you could do.

So, what to take... is a function of YOU, the type of trip, the number of sea days, your personal habits. Its going to be different for every person for every cruise...

I guess we will see how the O tours work out. We usually take very few ships tours, but this time we will try them. We get 7 included tours. If we don't find them to be good than next time we will go another way.

I may not understand what you are saying in this part but if you are referring to getting the Your World discount by booking on board with your OBC be aware that the following applies:

In order to get the Your World Collection discount you have to book 12 excursions per person. You can book them onboard but you only get a 15% discount instead of the 25% you get if you book prior to boarding.

What are the "discounted O excursion groupings" mentioned?