If you miss the way RCI used to be, MSC may be for you

Thank you for the info. There is no mention of daily cocktail party,free internet,free laundry,etc. like X and RCCL offer. They do offer perks but they don't exactly match perks as some have mentioned.

Thank you for the info. There is no mention of daily cocktail party,free internet,free laundry,etc. like X and RCCL offer. They do offer perks but they don't exactly match perks as some have mentioned.

Correct, and there have been posts on the MSC forum saying that MSC reduced the perks when they started offering the status matching.

It's a status match, not a perk for perk match.

If I take my Diamond status over to X they give me reciprocity but it is not identical perks to Diamond on RCI; they just give me their equivalent level. MSC gives two specialty dinners and 5% off all cabin categories, RCI gives me nightly cocktail hours but no free dinners and only discounts off balcony and above. So each has it's different benefits.

Hi LMaxwell,

I am reading your comments or observations from your cruise on MSC with some interest ...... I/we started cruising in late 80s. mostly cruised on RCI (D+) or Celebrity (Elite) ....... and 'yes' we like what RCI used to be when it was RCCL. I do not dislike RCI and enjoy their cruises and have 2 booked for this year ...... but after reading some of your posts I have interest to perhaps try MSC.

I am looking at the Meraviglia for July 2017 out from Barcelona. It would be a Med. cruise. There is also RCI's Freedom from Barcelona that I am very familiar with. Both cruises are priced about the same for 7night inside.... a little different itinerary.

Freedom a lot older but still in good shape .... and I know what to expect there.

Maraviglia a brand new ship (May 2017) and I have no idea what to expect there..... official language on board, food ( I do not eat much pasta), ethnicity of fellow guests.

I would like the old style of cruising.

Any suggestions ?

Correct, and there have been posts on the MSC forum saying that MSC reduced the perks when they started offering the status matching.

Yes, the biggest perk they reduced was Black Card Members used to get 20% off their cruise, which is a HUGE perk. Now, with all us new Black Cards, the maximum discount is 5%. Still, ANY perk is a perk when you haven't even cruised on that line one time. For anyone interested, I'll be posting live from the MSC Divina May 7 cruise and I welcome any and all questions. Bob, I know you've been sniffing around the Divina, any questions or pictures you want me to take? You've helped me so many times, I welcome the chance to help you explore a new cruise line. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352075

Yes, the biggest perk they reduced was Black Card Members used to get 20% off their cruise, which is a HUGE perk. Now, with all us new Black Cards, the maximum discount is 5%. Still, ANY perk is a perk when you haven't even cruised on that line one time. For anyone interested, I'll be posting live from the MSC Divina May 7 cruise and I welcome any and all questions. Bob, I know you've been sniffing around the Divina, any questions or pictures you want me to take? You've helped me so many times, I welcome the chance to help you explore a new cruise line. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352075

Maureen, I cannot think of anything specific to ask now, but I intend to follow your live review and will likely be asking questions as they occur to me. Looking forward to this.:)

Edited by clarea

So excited. Finally (after MUCH research) booked my first MSC cruise on the Seaside. This ship is insane looking. Got a suite for a crazy price, automatically am Silver instead of starting at the bottom.....$300 OBC....AND.....10percent off for my husband working for the State. Geeezzzz. Two years away...but I can wait. Thank you posters for all of the info and reviews. :):):)

So excited. Finally (after MUCH research) booked my first MSC cruise on the Seaside. This ship is insane looking. Got a suite for a crazy price, automatically am Silver instead of starting at the bottom.....$300 OBC....AND.....10percent off for my husband working for the State. Geeezzzz. Two years away...but I can wait. Thank you posters for all of the info and reviews. :):):)

We're on Seaside 5/5/18, booked a Fantastica S2 suite with $300 OBC and a Black Card for extra perks for a great price. Only bad part is we have to fly to Miami, an added cost, but from what I read it should be a fantastic cruise. Can't wait.

We're on Seaside 5/5/18, booked a Fantastica S2 suite with $300 OBC and a Black Card for extra perks for a great price. Only bad part is we have to fly to Miami, an added cost, but from what I read it should be a fantastic cruise. Can't wait.

Congrats!!! Yes, I agree about flying...but that's okay. Have never been to Miami before and just may fly down 2 days early to see the sites. :)

Might cancel one of my RCCL 2017 cruise if I can get a deal on MSC, dislike some of the things happening on RCCL

I just cancelled my Harmony cruise to go on MSC. We have already been on the Oasis and Allure, so it is not a big deal to us. Pretty much the same ship.

Congrats!!! Yes, I agree about flying...but that's okay. Have never been to Miami before and just may fly down 2 days early to see the sites. :)

Will be in Miami in September for our Escape cruise then drive to Fort Lauderdale for the Presidents Cruise 9/18. Seriously thinking of canceling our Anthem cruise 4/17/17. RCL seems to be taking away perks from Diamond Plus.

Yes, the biggest perk they reduced was Black Card Members used to get 20% off their cruise, which is a HUGE perk. Now, with all us new Black Cards, the maximum discount is 5%.

You get the 20% for early booking - we just booked Jan 2018 and got 20% off.

You get the 20% for early booking - we just booked Jan 2018 and got 20% off.

I only got 5% off. Should I call? I have a Black Card with the Loyalty Match Program. Is that only for UK cruisers? I am booked on the Seaside 5/5/18.

This Loyalty matching program is an outstanding idea. So many CruiseCritic threads include references to something like ".... I'd try another cruise line but I have invested too much time/energy/money with a particular brand to start anew"

This promotion removes that hurdle.

We applied and received their Black membership level. We have since booked for the Divina in summer of 2017 and back to back on the new ship, the Seaside, in 2018. All sailings included generous OBC amounts (under current promotions). The 5% loyalty discount is nice and the 10% Civil service discount (military, police, teachers, etc) is a real plus. (those two discounts are not combinable... one or the other). When you add all these things together with a TA who offers a discount, the deal is almost unbeatable.

The only downside I've encountered is the web site. It's been a bit buggy and the way to navigate through to find the promotions is very maze-like. I've figured it out now and manage just fine but it could certainly be better.

I also like the fact that they sell different "experience" levels for various cabins. You get to pick/choose the level you want and don't end up paying for services you won't use.

Oh yeah, I wish they had more U.S-based itineraries... but maybe time will remedy that situation

They also sell "coupon books" for drinks which let you purchase at a very reasonable per-drink price.

The Voyager's Club's FAQ states: MSC Voyagers Club points and status do not expire as long as you have at least a minimum of one cruise completed in three years.

If the last cruise disembarkation date is over 3 years ago (36 months) or no cruise has been taken in 3 years since the registration date, membership to the MSC Voyagers Club

Program expires.

So it looks like you need to sail with them at least every three years to maintain your status. Based on what I'm reading, that won't be an issue.

~Brian

Edited by shukapaw

We submitted/applied our D+ C&A to their loyalty and haven't heard anything, does anyone know how long it takes to be accepted?

It took us less than 2 weeks.

However, I read on the MSC forum that they had problems with the web form submissions, and many were lost. The poster on the MSC forum said they called and were able to do the status matching on the phone.

I don't have the link to the thread, but it should be easy to find in the MSC forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80

Edited by clarea