Circle (Curtis Stone) magazine

smellycruzer

Their "common customers" come from a number of different markets. Their largest growing market and the one they are investing the most money in is not what you are defining as "common customers" Curtis stone and his "uncommon menus" are very popular in those newer markets. That is also why "share" won't be on most ships. As they are in the process of redeploying much of their fleet, its not to difficult to see what's happening. What markets are being emphaised and where Princess will be in 5 years. Note the emphasis on the "exotics" and west coast. The days of a cruise being a discount Caribbean all-inclusive vacation are winding down and markets moving to year-round markets requiring fewer fleet redeployments.

As far as their service is slipping and their entertainment quality decreasing, thats pretty subjective. BUT you may want to keep in mind they have also held their prices for the "value" (read lowest price always) US market for a long time. One of two things will happen. They will either continue to push passengers into the public feed troughs better known as the Horizon court, institute surcharges in the MDR (which they have started to phase in) OR charge more for cruises.

Expanding their specialty dining offerings may forestall some of that or as we are seeing they simply move to larger and more profitable markets.

I can also attest to one thing having worked inside princess at various time. An outcry on CC is often in the eyes Princess (and other cruise lines) a measure of success. The "common" CC poster is ofte the one who spends hours describing how to smuggle booze, scam the beverage cards etc. etc. in order to save pennies while at the same time denying Princess the profits necessary to have that higher service and entertainment. 20 pages on the number of butter pats pretty explains it.

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

There is no reason for us, personally, to be upset with the cover of the Circle magazine or the introduction of the Share Restaurant. The Emerald is the first to get the restaurant and is set to sail the Australian waters, home of Chef Stone. Princess has introduced 3 selections of Chef Stone to the menu on it's other ships as alternative choices to it's regular menu.

No one is being forced to try them or forced to pay for Share.

Whether cruisers enjoy or don't enjoy Share, Princess will decide what to do. :)

There is no reason for us, personally, to be upset with the cover of the Circle magazine or the introduction of the Share Restaurant. The Emerald is the first to get the restaurant and is set to sail the Australian waters, home of Chef Stone. Princess has introduced 3 selections of Chef Stone to the menu on it's other ships as alternative choices to it's regular menu.

No one is being forced to try them or forced to pay for Share.

Whether cruisers enjoy or don't enjoy Share, Princess will decide what to do. :)

The voice of reason!

Nice thread! Yeah, I'm still on the fence about trying SHARE this coming cruise but even for someone who's yet to even be on a 1st cruise I feel that they are pushing him way too much. The biggest concern is the price is high, the portions are small, and created by Curtis himself onboard but the on-board staff (so why the crazy cover price?)

However, maybe if everyone who's anti-SHARE-lovin' email Princess directly, they may back off?

Nice thread! Yeah, I'm still on the fence about trying SHARE this coming cruise but even for someone who's yet to even be on a 1st cruise I feel that they are pushing him way too much. The biggest concern is the price is high, the portions are small, and created by Curtis himself onboard but the on-board staff (so why the crazy cover price?)

However, maybe if everyone who's anti-SHARE-lovin' email Princess directly, they may back off?

I'm not "anti-Share". I just thought the magazine coverage is a bit over the top. Just because I don't think I will eat there doesn't mean I'm "anti-Share". If Princess wants to put it on ships and if people want to eat there it's no skin off of my nose. I happen to like the food in MDR and am not a fan of the "small portions presented in a fancy way for a high price" restaurants that are fashionable in cities. There are a lot of other people who love that sort of venue. People are different.

Their "common customers" come from a number of different markets. Their largest growing market and the one they are investing the most money in is not what you are defining as "common customers" Curtis stone and his "uncommon menus" are very popular in those newer markets. That is also why "share" won't be on most ships. As they are in the process of redeploying much of their fleet, its not to difficult to see what's happening. What markets are being emphaised and where Princess will be in 5 years. Note the emphasis on the "exotics" and west coast. The days of a cruise being a discount Caribbean all-inclusive vacation are winding down and markets moving to year-round markets requiring fewer fleet redeployments.

As far as their service is slipping and their entertainment quality decreasing, thats pretty subjective. BUT you may want to keep in mind they have also held their prices for the "value" (read lowest price always) US market for a long time. One of two things will happen. They will either continue to push passengers into the public feed troughs better known as the Horizon court, institute surcharges in the MDR (which they have started to phase in) OR charge more for cruises.

Expanding their specialty dining offerings may forestall some of that or as we are seeing they simply move to larger and more profitable markets.

I can also attest to one thing having worked inside princess at various time. An outcry on CC is often in the eyes Princess (and other cruise lines) a measure of success. The "common" CC poster is ofte the one who spends hours describing how to smuggle booze, scam the beverage cards etc. etc. in order to save pennies while at the same time denying Princess the profits necessary to have that higher service and entertainment. 20 pages on the number of butter pats pretty explains it.

Who do you think are Princess' "common customers"?

I'm not "anti-Share". I just thought the magazine coverage is a bit over the top. Just because I don't think I will eat there doesn't mean I'm "anti-Share". If Princess wants to put it on ships and if people want to eat there it's no skin off of my nose. I happen to like the food in MDR and am not a fan of the "small portions presented in a fancy way for a high price" restaurants that are fashionable in cities. There are a lot of other people who love that sort of venue. People are different.

Exactly! Well said, my feelings as well. I wish they had a thumbs up button here.:)

When the news came out about Curtis Stone and his Share venue I had a wait and see opinion.

I have not had the opportunity to try Share yet. I have read about it both on the Princess website and here on CC. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I too got the magazine and set it aside when I saw Curtis Stone's face on the front cover. Yes, Princess we know about the new restaurant.

I looked @ the menu...and...really didn't see anything that would make me want to go in there to eat. However, like everyone says here on CC, food tastes vary from person to person.

I've seen photos of the eating area and it is not warm and welcoming at all. I like to be comfortable when sitting down a having a meal with DH.

My first few jobs were in the restaurant business and people pretty much get a jest of the establishment in the first 5 minutes of being there.

As a stockholder, I'm holding my breathe. I'm wondering if this was tested out, and if so, where? How many everyday people eat in "fine cuisine" restaurants?

DH & I usually only eat in the $$$$ restaurants about once every other year. We are not comfortable and that is what will make you want to stay and dig in to your dinner.

Crossing fingers that if they find that this is not be received well, they find a better alternative.

When the news came out about Curtis Stone and his Share venue I had a wait and see opinion.

I have not had the opportunity to try Share yet. I have read about it both on the Princess website and here on CC. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I too got the magazine and set it aside when I saw Curtis Stone's face on the front cover. Yes, Princess we know about the new restaurant.

I looked @ the menu...and...really didn't see anything that would make me want to go in there to eat. However, like everyone says here on CC, food tastes vary from person to person.

I've seen photos of the eating area and it is not warm and welcoming at all. I like to be comfortable when sitting down a having a meal with DH.

As a stockholder, I'm holding my breathe. I'm wondering if this was tested out, and if so, where? How many everyday people eat in "fine cuisine" restaurants?

DH & I usually only eat in the $$$$ restaurants about once every other year.

Crossing fingers that if they find that this is not be received well, they find a better alternative.

I agree with all of the above. When I wrote "common passengers" in my earlier post, perhaps I should have said everyday people. I don't consider DH and myself common but we are everyday people and I think most other Princess passengers are the same. IMHO a small percentage are frequent $$$$ restaurant customers. Perhaps they are hoping to attract more of them.

I agree with all of the above. When I wrote "common passengers" in my earlier post, perhaps I should have said everyday people. I don't consider DH and myself common but we are everyday people and I think most other Princess passengers are the same. IMHO a small percentage are frequent $$$$ restaurant customers. Perhaps they are hoping to attract more of them.

As someone from one of the 'newer markets' I'd like a bit more clarification of your description of us as 'common passengers'. Thank you.

As someone from one of the 'newer markets' I'd like a bit more clarification of your description of us as 'common passengers'. Thank you.

That's a good question. I don't know the difference between a "common passenger" and an "everyday person." Where I live we don't have the $$$$ restaurants, in fact, the only time people get dressed up here is if they're going to a funeral or to the doctor. So, I guess I'm an everyday person. I put my underwear on the same way that everyone else does.:rolleyes:

I guess I did not make myself clear. If you will reread the part of my post you quoted, I attempted to say that common passenger was not a good choice. Everyday people would have been better. I am describing myself, not anyone in a newer market. I don't post on Cruisecritic to offend anyone or to have an argument. If I have offended you, I apologize.

Edited by SeaTheWorldBySea

That's a good question. I don't know the difference between a "common passenger" and an "everyday person." Where I live we don't have the $$$$ restaurants, in fact, the only time people get dressed up here is if they're going to a funeral or to the doctor. So, I guess I'm an everyday person. I put my underwear on the same way that everyone else does.:rolleyes:

We don't have $$$$ restaurants in our small town but they are not far away. The food they serve does not appeal to us any more than the price fits our budget. Common passenger, everyday person, regular people - whatever you want to call DH and I, as well as our family and friends, we are not tempted by the menu or price of Share.

Edited by SeaTheWorldBySea

GOSH! I had never before this thread heard of Curtis Stone. But then, I don't care!.

If you haven't heard of Curtis Stone then there are a number of reasons: you haven't been on a Princess cruise lately, you have not received any emails from Princess lately or you haven't been reading the Princess boards lately. You also have not signed in to the Princess website lately either. His name and pushing his restaurant is everywhere. You don't have to seek out the name is up there and in your face.

Clearly there are a lot of us that "don't care" which is why this thread was started.

Edited by notentirelynormal

If you haven't heard of Curtis Stone then there are a number of reasons: you haven't been on a Princess cruise lately, you have not received any emails from Princess lately or you haven't been reading the Princess boards lately. You also have not signed in to the Princess website lately either. His name and pushing his restaurant is everywhere. You don't have to seek out the name is up there and in your face.

Clearly there are a lot of us that "don't care" which is why this thread was started.

I'd recommend everyone trying it at least once or even twice though. I'm sure this is just a phase and a short-term contract between Princess and Curtis as I don't want this to become the norm.

I'd recommend everyone trying it at least once or even twice though. I'm sure this is just a phase and a short-term contract between Princess and Curtis as I don't want this to become the norm.

Personally not interested in any of the food at Share, would choose the Crown Grill or Crab Shack if it's offered. Or a nice Pub Lunch!

Or you aren't from Australia where his "food is very popular.(rapidly becoming a base market where PC is currently setting up a new call center along with China) Of course their are a lot of folks who avoid CC too. They may actually be interested in the magazine article...........

Edited by TNTLAMB

• 4 months later...
I wasn't debating his popularity anywhere. The PP, WupperAV, said GOSH! I had never before this thread heard of Curtis Stone. But then, I don't care!. My comment was in regards to the PP never hearing about Curtis Stone, nothing more, nothing less.

I won't be surprised if a future Princess ship is named Curtis Princess. Or at least christened by him?!?!?

Or you aren't from Australia where his "food is very popular.

Really? It is? Wow! I never knew that. :rolleyes:

In Australia Curtis Stone is the "face" of a major supermarket chain, Coles, and often promotes how to feed a family of four for under $10.

Oh, and he also appears as guest chef on cooking shows like MasterChef, because Coles is a major sponsor.

If it wasn't for those most Australians would never have heard of the guy, let alone tried his food. He doesn't have any restaurants in Australia.

In Fact, if one reads the article, all his accolades come from The New York Times, Time Travel+Leisure Eater L.A,Los Angeles Magazine,Angelo and more.

So if anyone's talking him up, it appears to be from our friends across the way.

Take Home Chef and Top Chef Masters all tv programmes we have never heard of.

To us,hes a dude that promotes a supermarket chain.

Is anyone else tired of hearing about Curtis or is it just me?

Oh no, it's not just you. It might be just you and me, but it's not just you. It seems like I can't get away from the guy. I get Food Network Magazine, and he's all over that too.