Circle (Curtis Stone) magazine

smellycruzer

[quote name='OCruisers']Thank you for understanding we had looked at the menu selections in advance and were really looking forward to giving SHARE a try.
We wanted to like SHARE and were disappointed we didn't.
Our main courses and sides were served on the cooler side of "lukewarm".
When mentioned to the waiter, his reply was ... "They are the temperature at which the chief feels they should be served." :rolleyes:
At this point we were very ready to get away from the bright lighting so just let it go.
No way it was because they were busy. At 7:30 there were only three other tables being served.
LuLu [/QUOTE]
We also wanted to like it. Heck, we didn't pay whatever the cost was (I forget. $39? $49? Please don't tell me if it was higher than that!) because we didn't think we would. We were a little unsure of the design (the lighting and the lack of tablecloths) but still wanted to see what all the fuss (positive and negative) was about. The seating was horrendous, the place was an echo chamber, the food was not hot (that's a personal 'hot' button for me but we were told the same thing). In fact, the whole experience was like that. It was like we were being told what we [U]should[/U] like, as if what we actually like was incredibly bourgeois and this experience was so much better. We were also reminded what we would pay for this same Curtis Stone experience on land. Well, maybe some would. We would not. Edited by PescadoAmarillo

[quote name='PescadoAmarillo']We also wanted to like it. Heck, we didn't pay whatever the cost was (I forget. $39? $49? Please don't tell me if it was higher than that!) because we didn't think we would. We were a little unsure of the design (the lighting and the lack of tablecloths) but still wanted to see what all the fuss (positive and negative) was about. The seating was horrendous, the place was an echo chamber, the food was not hot (that's a personal 'hot' button for me but we were told the same thing). In fact, the whole experience was like that. It was like we were being told what we [U]should[/U] like, as if what we actually like was incredibly bourgeois and this experience was so much better. [B]We were also reminded what we would pay for this same Curtis Stone experience on land[/B]. Well, maybe some would. We would not.[/QUOTE]

But on land you wouldn't have [U]already[/U] paid for a dinner in the main dining room -- so even if this was great, it was a bad value!

[quote name='PescadoAmarillo']We also wanted to like it. Heck, we didn't pay whatever the cost was (I forget. $39? $49? Please don't tell me if it was higher than that!) because we didn't think we would. We were a little unsure of the design (the lighting and the lack of tablecloths) but still wanted to see what all the fuss (positive and negative) was about. The seating was horrendous, the place was an echo chamber, the food was not hot (that's a personal 'hot' button for me but we were told the same thing). In fact, the whole experience was like that. It was like we were being told what we [U]should[/U] like, as if what we actually like was incredibly bourgeois and this experience was so much better. We were also reminded what we would pay for this same Curtis Stone experience on land. Well, maybe some would. We would not.[/QUOTE]

There has been some of that 'being told what we should like' coming from those who have been extolling the virtues of SHARE too. I can tell a lot from reading a menu or reading other reviews to know the chances of my liking something. I don't have to try something at least "three times", as I've been told, before I can have an opinion.

There has been some of that 'being told what we should like' coming from those who have been extolling the virtues of SHARE too. I can tell a lot from reading a menu or reading other reviews to know the chances of my liking something. I don't have to try something at least "three times", as I've been told, before I can have an opinion.

That was my point exactly RocketMan275. Well stated!

Same here. I tried 2 of the 3 Curtis Stone items in the dining room & disliked them almost to the point of ordering something else so why should I spent $100 at SHARE to get another of his creations?

If they really wanted to entice people to spend the money in SHARE they should at least made the meals in the DR better.

Same here. I tried 2 of the 3 Curtis Stone items in the dining room & disliked them almost to the point of ordering something else so why should I spent $100 at SHARE to get another of his creations?

If they really wanted to entice people to spend the money in SHARE they should at least made the meals in the DR better.

Look on the bright side. At least you won't have that bloated feeling after trying Chef Stone's creations. (We were told that was a feature of SHARE.)

Recently on the Royal (landfall menu night), I took a gamble a ordered the Curtis Stone pork tenderloin. I was convinced that the meat had just been microwaved....it was grey, and by far, the most horrid stuff I had ever eaten on a cruise ship.

Awful meal.

The landfall menu night ten days later, I had the chicken fingers from the kid's menu. It sure put Curtis to shame!

Recently on the Royal (landfall menu night), I took a gamble a ordered the Curtis Stone pork tenderloin. I was convinced that the meat had just been microwaved....it was grey, and by far, the most horrid stuff I had ever eaten on a cruise ship.

Awful meal.

The landfall menu night ten days later, I had the chicken fingers from the kid's menu. It sure put Curtis to shame!

There have been a few who have liked SHARE attempt to tell us that we're like those who couldn't see the Emperor's new clothes. Fine with me. I would prefer chicken fingers to chicken liver any day. FWIW, I also prefer ketchup to endive foam.

Awful meal.

I hope someone from Princess is reading this thread. I wonder how many more who are not CC members feel the same way? I hate being disappointed with a meal.

For those who have been on a ship with a Curtis Stone restaurant, the survey that one completes via email after the cruise has a section that deals with the CS experience. So there are non CC passengers that are weighing in. I would guess that Princess may be concerned about the poor showing at the restaurant based on the surveys.

Edited by JudithLynne

Instead of Curtis Stone, how about a Guy Fieri Diners, Drive ins, and Dives restaurant. I can't stop watching that show on TV, and would love to see a themed restaurant based on the show. Now that's good eatin!

Edited by Zooguy

Instead of Curtis Stone, how about a Guy Fieri Diners, Drive ins, and Dives restaurant. I can't stop watching that show on TV, and would love to see a themed restaurant based on the show. Now that's good eatin!

He is already on Carnival ships. His place is called Guys Burger Joint.

There have been a few who have liked SHARE attempt to tell us that we're like those who couldn't see the Emperor's new clothes. Fine with me. I would prefer chicken fingers to chicken liver any day. FWIW, I also prefer ketchup to endive foam.

The last time I put chicken liver in my mouth it was by mistake and, once the taste hit me, I spit it out! Never again...

I am trending toward agreement with this thinking but having a hard time discovering the WHY of it. Why in the world would Princess give a contract to a chef who offers these uncommon menus at the same time that their service is slipping and IMHO their entertainment quality is decreasing? Do they want to run off their "common" passengers? Food is at the bottom of our reasons to cruise. Most of the time we eat in the buffet now and it seems there are more up there than there used to be. There are surely those for whom food is a very important part of cruising but these menus don't seem to appeal to many of them either.

Their "common customers" come from a number of different markets. Their largest growing market and the one they are investing the most money in is not what you are defining as "common customers" Curtis stone and his "uncommon menus" are very popular in those newer markets. That is also why "share" won't be on most ships. As they are in the process of redeploying much of their fleet, its not to difficult to see what's happening. What markets are being emphaised and where Princess will be in 5 years. Note the emphasis on the "exotics" and west coast. The days of a cruise being a discount Caribbean all-inclusive vacation are winding down and markets moving to year-round markets requiring fewer fleet redeployments.

As far as their service is slipping and their entertainment quality decreasing, thats pretty subjective. BUT you may want to keep in mind they have also held their prices for the "value" (read lowest price always) US market for a long time. One of two things will happen. They will either continue to push passengers into the public feed troughs better known as the Horizon court, institute surcharges in the MDR (which they have started to phase in) OR charge more for cruises.

Expanding their specialty dining offerings may forestall some of that or as we are seeing they simply move to larger and more profitable markets.

I can also attest to one thing having worked inside princess at various time. An outcry on CC is often in the eyes Princess (and other cruise lines) a measure of success. The "common" CC poster is ofte the one who spends hours describing how to smuggle booze, scam the beverage cards etc. etc. in order to save pennies while at the same time denying Princess the profits necessary to have that higher service and entertainment. 20 pages on the number of butter pats pretty explains it.

Edited by TNTLAMB

He has specialty dining on Carnival

I have no doubt that the fine papers Princess signed with the Curtis Stone people many moons ago stated that they would publicize SHARE in a Circle magazine. I am guessing at the time, they thought SHARE would be a hit.

Did they do something similar with Norman Love?

I can also attest to one thing having worked inside princess at various time. An outcry on CC is often in the eyes Princess (and other cruise lines) a measure of success. The "common" CC poster is often the one who spends hours describing how to smuggle booze, scam the beverage cards etc. etc. in order to save pennies while at the same time denying Princess the profits necessary to have that higher service and entertainment. 20 pages on the number of butter pats pretty explains it.

Gotta love it. :) I always wonder about people bragging they smuggle booze and keep getting fresh-brewed coffee on cards from past cruises, etc. I think I would probably have a huge "LOOK AT ME" sign floating over my head if I was smuggling stuff onboard. I like to drink but it's not worth dealing with stuff like that. I also don't "share" the coffee card with my wife - other than the punches. I don't think Princess has an issue with sharing punches.

However, I see an awful lot of posts by people who never mention smuggling, cheating on coffee cards, etc. Perhaps the smuggling threads are more prevalent on other cruise line forums?

Their "common customers" come from a number of different markets. Their largest growing market and the one they are investing the most money in is not what you are defining as "common customers" Curtis stone and his "uncommon menus" are very popular in those newer markets. That is also why "share" won't be on most ships. As they are in the process of redeploying much of their fleet, its not to difficult to see what's happening. What markets are being emphaised and where Princess will be in 5 years. Note the emphasis on the "exotics" and west coast. The days of a cruise being a discount Caribbean all-inclusive vacation are winding down and markets moving to year-round markets requiring fewer fleet redeployments.

As far as their service is slipping and their entertainment quality decreasing, thats pretty subjective. BUT you may want to keep in mind they have also held their prices for the "value" (read lowest price always) US market for a long time. One of two things will happen. They will either continue to push passengers into the public feed troughs better known as the Horizon court, institute surcharges in the MDR (which they have started to phase in) OR charge more for cruises.

Expanding their specialty dining offerings may forestall some of that or as we are seeing they simply move to larger and more profitable markets.

I can also attest to one thing having worked inside princess at various time. An outcry on CC is often in the eyes Princess (and other cruise lines) a measure of success. The "common" CC poster is ofte the one who spends hours describing how to smuggle booze, scam the beverage cards etc. etc. in order to save pennies while at the same time denying Princess the profits necessary to have that higher service and entertainment. 20 pages on the number of butter pats pretty explains it.

While I love cruising Princess as well as other lines, their two biggest drawbacks where the competition beats them are 1) Lack of Specialty Restaurants and 2) The reduced quality entertainment in the main Theatre

Gotta love it. :) I always wonder about people bragging they smuggle booze and keep getting fresh-brewed coffee on cards from past cruises, etc. I think I would probably have a huge "LOOK AT ME" sign floating over my head if I was smuggling stuff onboard. I like to drink but it's not worth dealing with stuff like that. I also don't "share" the coffee card with my wife - other than the punches. I don't think Princess has an issue with sharing punches.

However, I see an awful lot of posts by people who never mention smuggling, cheating on coffee cards, etc. Perhaps the smuggling threads are more prevalent on other cruise line forums?

I've always asked if the wife and I can share a coffee card and have always been told it is accepted. As for smuggling booze, I took six bottles of wine on my last Holland cruise and couldn't find anyone to take my corkage. I finally went to guest services the day after boarding. They came to my room and put stickers on the bottles. I still wasn't charged.

Then put the destinations on the front cover, not the chef. For me, I do not cruise for the food or chef, I cruise for the sites, ambiance, people. I like the food, but it isn't the reason why I book. There's always that disappointment when someone says that such-and-such is the greatest. You try it and wonder what was so great about it! Like all things, don't get your expectations up too high. I learned that after cruise #2 many years ago.

/just saying

So you're guilty of judging a book by its cover?:p

I've always asked if the wife and I can share a coffee card and have always been told it is accepted. As for smuggling booze, I took six bottles of wine on my last Holland cruise and couldn't find anyone to take my corkage. I finally went to guest services the day after boarding. They came to my room and put stickers on the bottles. I still wasn't charged.
You are being upfront about what you are doing and not trying to scam the system. There is no problem with that. Two people can certainly use the same card punches. Fresh brewed is at the discretion of the Barista and YMMV. On a cruise out of San Pedro I looked for the usual "Wine Desk" to check in my wine and pay corkage on two bottles but was told there wasn't one set up and I was waved through. I did bring one of the bottles to the DR and was charged corkage there. On the next cruise the "Wine Desk" was back and checking in wine and collecting corkage again.

In fact, the whole experience was like that. It was like we were being told what we should like, as if what we actually like was incredibly bourgeois and this experience was so much better. We were also reminded what we would pay for this same Curtis Stone experience on land.

Aside from the <luke-warm food, this was also one of my pet peeves with the experience.

It wasn't: "How do you like the food?", it was: "This food is so great, yeah?" "You're so fortunate to be trying it."