Suites and Dining

Muushka

Just got off a 14 night TA on the Equinox in a suite and we LOVED Luminae. Yes, it's more limited but they were nothing but super helpful if we wanted to order from the MDR. They had several menus on hand for people to peruse if requested. I'm pretty sure they volunteered it early on in our dining experience.

We ordered a couple of times from the MDR for room service and the different between Luminae and the MDR was very apparent. One big difference is pasta - it's all homemade in Luminae and I had one pasta dish that was really one of the best pasta dishes I've had in my life.

Sky suites no longer get 2 free specialty meals, but we got them because we were grandfathered in. However, we did it more because we felt we needed to - I wouldn't miss not having them.

With Luminae and Michael's Club if the price is right for a suite we'd do it again in a heartbeat. They really make a large ship feel much more cosy and the service in both were incredible.

Has anyone ever figured out if one ship handles Luminae better than another or is it just what people like?

As I said, we have only been on two Luminae cruises so far but on different ships - Millennium and Eclipse. The difference we noted was the size of portions. On Millennium the portion sizes varied enormously from just right to far too large. On Eclipse they were all just about right. Other than the odds and end not yet arrived on Millennium [it was only the second Luminae cruise], everything else - menus, level of service, ambiance was the same. We put the differences down to adjustments over time. Others, of course, may have thought them due to different ships/chefs.

We have also experienced two Luminae. The difference we found was more of being willing to modify the menu...

On our first cruise, for example, when I asked day three at breakfast for a fruit plate with less melon and some berries that is what I got, second cruise I got the standard fruit plate with a tiny bowl of berries. Evening dining first cruise when we were struggling to find something to order (and we did find the mains in particular quite limited) we would be offered alternatives or they would discuss modifications, cruise two we were offered the MDR menu. Like the above post, it is difficult to know how much is individual chef attitudes and how much has been settling down.

On both cruises we have found the lunch menus just too heavy. First cruise we did ask for salads, second cruise we often simply went to Oceanview cafe put our own salads together and took them back to the balcony...

We will on our next two cruises, S class, get the Luminae menus or off the conceirge day 1 and plan when we will go to Luminae and book in the specialities around that...I really don't want to be going to Luminae and be ordering off the MDR menu.

Service has been exceptional on both cruises and seating/ambiance very pleasant.

Edited by chemmo

I've been to three Luminaes on two ships. Never needed a reservation and never waited at prime time. I always eat the same thing: salad, steak and rice or pasta (usually not what is on the menu). I did tell the manager that I didn't enjoy the MDR steak and arranged for another cut the next night. In the future I will be proactive on that. Dessert made to order too - ice cream or fruit. Never had a problem.

The Specialty dining perk was eliminated for all reservations made after the first of the year.
Is that for the Royal Suites also. I am still seeing unlimited specialty dining even in Bistro on five? I am getting frustrated trying to figure out old for new perks for the Royal suites. So many different postings even on other travel sites. We leave 6/5/16 on Summit and my mother keeps asking my wife "So what is there for us in the suite" So wife gave project to me to find out

Gary

Is that for the Royal Suites also. I am still seeing unlimited specialty dining even in Bistro on five? I am getting frustrated trying to figure out old for new perks for the Royal suites. So many different postings even on other travel sites. We leave 6/5/16 on Summit and my mother keeps asking my wife "So what is there for us in the suite" So wife gave project to me to find out

Gary

I just booked the Royal Suite and Celebrity told me that is definitely a Royal Suite perk.

Here is what is on Celebrity's website. For Royal Suite.

Features and Highlights

Personal butler service 24/7 for assistance with unpacking, in-suite lunch and dinner, espresso and cappuccino

Dedicated private restaurant, Luminae, reserved exclusively for all Suite Class guests

Access to the exclusive lounge, Michael's Club

Priority check-in at boarding & early debarkation

Unlimited dining in all specialty restaurants including lunch, dinner, and one Champagne High Tea

Complimentary Premium Beverage Package for all guests in suite. Minors will automatically receive a Premium-Non-Alcoholic Beverage Package

Complimentary unlimited Internet access

Stateroom setup of one bottle of vodka and one bottle of scotch or gin with mixers (beginning January 2016, a choice of spirits and wine)

Reserved theatre seating on Evening Chic nights

Luxury bath amenities & plush robes

Premium Reverie[emoji768] Dream Sleep System[emoji769] customizable mattresses

Celebrity eXhale[emoji769] bedding, pillow menu, plush duvets and pure cotton linens

Private veranda with whirlpool and lounge seating

Marble master bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower

Fresh flowers

Beginning January 2016:

Welcome bottle of Perrier-Jouët

Complimentary laundry service twice per cruise

Daily Delectables rotation of savory and sweet snacks

* Champagne High Tea available on select ships and itineraries.

Edited by Chicogirl

Gary

Gary

The list posted by Chicgirl [below] is correct. In practice, as I said, the specialty restaurant lunch offering has varied on different sailings [as reported on Cruise Critic] and the laundry perks has ranged from a basic what is [now] stated and all the [reasonable] laundry requested.

You have to understand that the recent removable of the specialty dining perk for Sky and Royal Suites has generated the posts you have found confusing but does not apply to Royal Suites. Many people are not careful with their wording when they post on Cruise Critic and Celebrity is not rigorous in ensuring that every part of their websites [i.e. US, UK, etc].

Here is what is on Celebrity's website. For Royal Suite.

Features and Highlights

Personal butler service 24/7 for assistance with unpacking, in-suite lunch and dinner, espresso and cappuccino

Dedicated private restaurant, Luminae, reserved exclusively for all Suite Class guests

Access to the exclusive lounge, Michael's Club

Priority check-in at boarding & early debarkation

Unlimited dining in all specialty restaurants including lunch, dinner, and one Champagne High Tea

Complimentary Premium Beverage Package for all guests in suite. Minors will automatically receive a Premium-Non-Alcoholic Beverage Package

Complimentary unlimited Internet access

Stateroom setup of one bottle of vodka and one bottle of scotch or gin with mixers (beginning January 2016, a choice of spirits and wine)

Reserved theatre seating on Evening Chic nights

Luxury bath amenities & plush robes

Premium Reverie[emoji768] Dream Sleep System[emoji769] customizable mattresses

Celebrity eXhale[emoji769] bedding, pillow menu, plush duvets and pure cotton linens

Private veranda with whirlpool and lounge seating

Marble master bath with whirlpool tub and separate shower

Fresh flowers

Beginning January 2016:

Welcome bottle of Perrier-Jouët

Complimentary laundry service twice per cruise

Daily Delectables rotation of savory and sweet snacks

* Champagne High Tea available on select ships and itineraries.

Gary

The list posted by Chicgirl [below] is correct. In practice, as I said, the specialty restaurant lunch offering has varied on different sailings [as reported on Cruise Critic] and the laundry perks has ranged from a basic what is [now] stated and all the [reasonable] laundry requested.

You have to understand that the recent removable of the specialty dining perk for Sky and Royal Suites has generated the posts you have found confusing but does not apply to Royal Suites. Many people are not careful with their wording when they post on Cruise Critic and Celebrity is not rigorous in ensuring that every part of their websites [i.e. US, UK, etc].

We have on each of our cruises since the suite life started to be introduced found some differences. Some appear to be a consequence of poor communication (especially when the suite life was just introduced) and some seem to be ships responding to practicalities. I think there are also differences between what you are 'entitled' to and what is often provided in addition.

For example, I started a post querying laundry perks prior to my last cruise (didn't mind paying for some laundry just didn't know what to expect). The responses were varied. On boarding I asked and was clearly told it was coupons only. We went over the coupons for additional pressing, I completed the laundry forms and expected to be billed and was not...When I queried this 'reasonableness' was the response...My additional laundry was minimal so they did not charge...I can only assume some guests prior to them reverting to the Elite coupons had perhaps been excessive in demands.

i think this element of reasonableness comes into all aspects of suite life, what state room bar set up you request, special requests in Luminae and specialities...as long as your demands are not 'over the top' they will do their best to accommodate you.

Gary

You have to understand that the recent removable of the specialty dining perk for Sky and Royal Suites has generated the posts you have found confusing.

This should read Sky and Celebrity Suites. Those are the suites that lost the free specialty dining for bookings after 1/1/16

Sky suites no longer get 2 free specialty meals, but we got them because we were grandfathered in. However, we did it more because we felt we needed to - I wouldn't miss not having them.

Just out of curiosity, did you have to do anything to get this perk "enforced" or was it indicated in your account when you boarded?

Thanks!

As others have said here the primary reason we will be staying with suites on Celebrity is Luminae, followed by Michael's Club.

Luminae has a rotation of 14 menus, on our last cruise which was 16 nights, the last two nights the menu comprised some of the best items from the previous 14 so we were quite happy. There were some nights when we asked for a salad to be added between the appetizer and entrée, which was no problem. The staff at Luminae both on Reflection this April and Eclipse last year were wonderful and we found we had NO desire to go to any of the Spec. Rest. We did have 2 freebies since our reservation was made before January 2016 and we utilized one in Qsine with a large group from our roll call and that was fun but the food in Qsine doesn't even come close to what Luminae offers and while we love Tuscan Grill for the views we weren't even tempted to give up a night of Luminae for the menu in Tuscan. We used our 2nd dinners at the Lawn Club Grill, and as much as the food was good, it's still a "steak and potatoes" kind of place, fun a couple of times but we most likely won't go back again if we happen to be on Silhouette or Reflection.

We are booked on the Eclipse TA this fall and had we not been able to book a suite we would not have booked the cruise. THAT'S how good both Luminae and Michael's are in our book. The service in Luminae is outstanding, they will get you whatever you want, and yes, that includes items from the MDR if that's what you desire. They go out of their way to make you happy, our Sommelier on Reflection, Gabriel was one of the best we've had anywhere and the wait staff far superior to what we experienced in the other dining areas.

Celebrity has really done a wonderful job with Luminae, on our next cruise we won't bother with any Spec Rest, Chef's Table or any other dining venue for dinner. Only 174 more days till we sail!!!:D

Just out of curiosity, did you have to do anything to get this perk "enforced" or was it indicated in your account when you boarded?

Thanks!

For our cruise the Conceirge in the Michael's club had a list and informed the appropriate people.

For our cruise the Conceirge in the Michael's club had a list and informed the appropriate people.

Thanks! I have asked my TA to double check that this perk is grandfathered over because we paid US$100 to upgrade to unlimited internet just this past week. Fingers and toes crossed.

A couple of posts suggested that the main dining room menu was not quite happily offered in Luminae.

Our experience was opposite in December on Reflection. Our waiter brought it to the table each night without being asked when he brought the Luminae so we could have both options, and mentioned some highlights from both.

I appreciated this because I love Celebrity's Top Chef barbecued chicken by Marcus Samuelson, so was happy he pointed it out one evening.

We loved Luminae - more space, quieter than MDR, more friendly, attentive staff. Along with Michaels Club and a butler makes the higher suite price worth it. (Not the case on HAL, on which we also sail.)

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Thanks!

For us, our Butler knew about it. He told us the first day when he welcomed us that we had 2 free dinners in specialty restaurants and to just let him know and he'd make the reservation. Then when we figured out our schedule we called him and he made the reservations for us. I'm not sure if they had it in their system or if he told them when he made the reservation, but both times when we went they were comped without us having to say anything. It was very smooth and easy.

It seems that the free specialty dining is still listed as a perk for suites (even sky suites) as of right now 5/13 on celebrity's site, is this is still true or is celebrity's web site outdated?

That was my question in the first post. But it seems that they do not offer the specialty dining free for certain number of nights (we got it on Silhouette in 2012 a 12 nighter in a SS got us 2 specialty dining each) as of Jan, 2016.

So yes, the website is outdated (imagine that :confused:)

That being said, so that there is no more confusion,

All suites can dine in Luminae

Upper-end suites (PH, RS, (also Signature Suite and Reflection Suite on Reflection)

Unlimited dining in all specialty restaurants including lunch, dinner, and one Champagne High Tea*

http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/celebrity-suite-class