Alaska season underway

Celebrity Solstice in Vancouver today. She is now doing the Alaska run. Weather looks nice in Vancouver , but a bit murky further North. A bit early to do Alaska I think as the weather has not settled down yet... but you do get to see lots of snow and ice still on the mountains.

Anyone from down this way planning to fly over for a cruise this season?

7%20crown%202_zpss5hx3kvl.png

Celebrity Solstice in Vancouver today. She is now doing the Alaska run. Weather looks nice in Vancouver , but a bit murky further North. A bit early to do Alaska I think as the weather has not settled down yet... but you do get to see lots of snow and ice still on the mountains.

Anyone from down this way planning to fly over for a cruise this season?

7%20crown%202_zpss5hx3kvl.png

Nice photo. Weather does look inviting in Vancouver.

Alaskan locals told me May is the best month to visit Alaska. A bonus is people in the tourist business aren't burnt out from the busy Summer Season.

PS My thoughts go out to all the Canadians who have been affected by the terrible bushfires.

Edited by MMDown Under

We went a couple years ago in August and tne snow had mostly melted except for the big mountains but we still had a fantastic trip. Hired a car and did our own thing.

Can highly recommend Knik River Lodge and the dog sledding with helicopter tour. Just north of Anchorage.

We went a couple years ago in August and tne snow had mostly melted except for the big mountains but we still had a fantastic trip. Hired a car and did our own thing.

Can highly recommend Knik River Lodge and the dog sledding with helicopter tour. Just north of Anchorage.

We went August/September and it first season snowed just north of Skagway in September. Like you, we did our own thing - hired a truck camper and a car, combined with the Alaskan Marine Highway. Alaska remains on my wish list for a return visit.

Heading over in August, so so so excited!!! On Infinity to Glacier Bay return then doing our own thing for a month. I've been reading so much, some good some bad... So I've decided to just go with the flow and see for myself. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Dont remind me. I was supposed to be leaving for my bucket list Alaska trip in less than 2 weeks. Bloody DVT. Now looks like Lupus is cause of clot. :(

Edited by Pushka

Dont remind me. I was supposed to be leaving for my bucket list Alaska trip in less than 2 weeks. Bloody DVT. Now looks like Lupus is cause of clot. :(

What a disappointment. Not the time to be risking a long haul flight.

Hopefully you will be able to go next year.

What a disappointment. Not the time to be risking a long haul flight.

Hopefully you will be able to go next year.

Its funny, well, not funny but you get my drift, how overnight the travel plans can just fly out the door and I hope it doesn't get slammed shut. Medically I am on a journey of discovery and I am a classic Greg House case. The GP is currently like a deer in headlights with all the medical sequelae and has handed it all to a physician. Just a clot but location and total randomness is a bother. And was just the beginning.

Alaska - 2017? I can hope.

A work colleague of mine is going in August and it sounds amazing! She's doing the helicopter/dog sled excursion as well.

Go early August though otherwise some of the more popular dog sledding tours are cancelled because of mushy snow. Areas around Ketchikan etc can be wet in August. That area has very high rainfall.

Again i can recommend to your work colleague the dog sledding out of Knik River Lodge. Can be done as a day trip from Anchorage. They have various departure times and always have snow.

Sorry to hear that. Plan B could be to cruise the whole way there and back with some layover time in Vancouver or Seattle.

Early May is the good time for Alaska cruise, did ours in early May back in 2005, bit of ice still there and not many ships. Avoid July/August up there, chockas. Places like Skagway and Ketchican cannot cope.

Commiserations Pushka.

Edited by NSWP

Sorry to hear that. Plan B could be to cruise the whole way there and back with some layover time in Vancouver or Seattle.

Thats a great plan but am still working.

We joined the Solstice in Hawaii and arrived in Vancouver on May 6th - beautiful day! But due to the PVSA, we could not continue on the Solstice to Alaska! Drat!

Would have been our 4th Alaskan cruise. Instead, we flew home. So Sad.

We joined the Solstice in Hawaii and arrived in Vancouver on May 6th - beautiful day! But due to the PVSA, we could not continue on the Solstice to Alaska! Drat!

Would have been our 4th Alaskan cruise. Instead, we flew home. So Sad.

How does the PVSA work against you when the cruise went from Hawaii to Vancouver?

Wouldn't the cruise be stopping at a US port after Vancouver? I must admit I don't understand the reasoning?

Keep a look out as every now and again there will be a special,usually towards the end of the season.

Agree with David. There are lots of specials for cruises to Alaska, because of all the competition.

Alaska is expensive for Aussies because of our low currency, at present.