Do you recommend drink packages?

There are a few additional benefits of the drink package that are pretty big for me. One is it helps with the budget for the cruise. You know exactly how much you are going to spend. Yes $600 is a hefty fee to pay up front, but if you have a few drinks a day along with bottled water or sodas that adds up quick as well and you will constantly be checking your onboard account.

The second is just being able to order whatever we want and not worrying about if we will like it or not. Or going for the after dinner drink that we would normally pass up. We always find that we are more experimental with what we order and we have gotten some really good drinks because of that.

If the upfront cost is worrysome to you and you have on board credit you can wait until you get on the ship and use the credit for it. You also have the option to buy it the second or third day so you can see about how much you are spending and see if it might be worth it later on in the cruise.

Personally, I have found it to be worth it. Sure some days we didnt hit the magic break even number, but other days we far exceeded it, especially on sea days.

I see there is also a drink package for kids...do you recommend that as well?

Jennifer

Pretty much only if your kids drink a lot of soda. There is plenty of water available, and at meals, they can get water, tea, lemonade, milk. We never got a soda package for our son, when he cruised with us, because he is just not a big soda drinker. If he wanted one occasionally at Johnny Rockets or something like that, we would just pay for it individually.

How old are your kids? Will they be with you most of the time or at kids clubs/teen clubs? We found when my kids were younger it was a good idea to get the soda package for them. Of course it was much cheaper then. When they were teens we always told them if you put your cup down and it is out of sight, dump it and get another (this can happen in the teen/kids club, on the sports court, etc). With the package they could easily do this. Without it would have been purchasing another.

If you kids, however, are water, lemonade, ice tea drinkers no need for a package at all since these are all included in your fare.

So.... Could hubby buy drink package and we both share it?:confused:

I'm a first timer like Jen so in sooo much need of help ;)

They cannot be shared. The thing that you can do is that he can buy a package and use that to buy a bottle of wine at a substantial discount (I believe 40%)-- then you can drink that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sharing is not allowed, if you average 5 or more drinks a day I would get the package, last few days they normally offer a punch card that can be shared, drinks are not cheap we had some wine and scotch that went over the 12 dollar limit, if you have premium package and order a 15 dollar drink you pay the 3 dollar difference, you are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine and there is no corkage fee.

If someone asks if a package is a good idea I would say yes. Wehave had them over the last couple of cruises.

Being on vacation on a port heavy itinerary I will have a couple of drinks in port and maybe a drink or two back on the ship(MAYBE)

I also noticed that neither DW or myself got our money's worth and with the next 2 cruises will just have a drink when I want one and see where the chips lie at the end. I will still look for the drink of the day specials and the drink card if/when it becomes available.

Not a big drinker of anything but water and some juices normally so the 'loss' of trying fancy different drinks because they are included doesn't hold alot of sway with me. My wife OTOH.....

You think the package is a good idea, but you only have a couple drinks each day? That doesn't make sense to me.

The second is just being able to order whatever we want and not worrying about if we will like it or not. Or going for the after dinner drink that we would normally pass up. We always find that we are more experimental with what we order and we have gotten some really good drinks because of that.

I also don't understand this mentality. You get the drink package so you don't "waste" money on drinks you don't like (presumably don't finish), but it makes sense to get the drink package even if you "waste" money by not getting enough drinks? :confused:

Even with water/soda, you're looking at needing to AVERAGE 5-6 drinks a day, every day, for the length of your cruise. A normal 7 day cruise (for example) has 3-4 port days? Sure, it's easy to get 5-6 drinks when you're on the ship all day, but what happens when you're in port for 8+ hours? Now you need to make up those 5-6 drinks on your other days.

I'm sure this is all doable for some, but just something to think about.

For us, the drink packages are not worth it if we are on a cruise where we are going to spend most of our days OFF the ship and in port, because the drink package doesn't do you any good off the ship unless it's one of the private islands. However, on our upcoming cruise in November on the Harmony, we will be getting the drink packages because we don't plan on getting off the ship at all once we embark. We have been to all the islands and this is more of a ship experience.

All the advice you have been given is pretty spot on...depends on what you plan on consuming if it is worth it or not. AND some people prefer to get it the packages just so they don't have to worry about a surprise bill at the end of the cruise. When we don't get the package, we normally add money to our ship account before we ever sail and almost every time we walk off the boat WITH money...and that is a great feeling!

You think the package is a good idea, but you only have a couple drinks each day? That doesn't make sense to me.

I also don't understand this mentality. You get the drink package so you don't "waste" money on drinks you don't like (presumably don't finish), but it makes sense to get the drink package even if you "waste" money by not getting enough drinks? :confused:

Even with water/soda, you're looking at needing to AVERAGE 5-6 drinks a day, every day, for the length of your cruise. A normal 7 day cruise (for example) has 3-4 port days? Sure, it's easy to get 5-6 drinks when you're on the ship all day, but what happens when you're in port for 8+ hours? Now you need to make up those 5-6 drinks on your other days.

I'm sure this is all doable for some, but just something to think about.

I do think it's a good idea and have bought the last 2 times. Will not next time just because in my head I think I will do a better job at breaking even with coffees and juices and mocktail but i really don't.

That's why I am taking my chances next time

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

For some, the drink package offers the true "all inclusive" experience... Break-even or not, they enjoy being able to walk to a bar and get what they want without consideration of the prices...

On a 7 day cruise with only 3 port days, my husband and I both got the package. On a 5 day cruise with 3 port days we will not. We do get the soda package for our children. However, it is very nice to have it paid for in advance. My husband drinks primarily beer with an occasional mixed drink. I have mixed drinks with an occasional beer or wine.

The way I look at it as a few drinks in the afternoon by pool, a few drinks with dinner, a few drinks in the evening (with a water thrown in here and there). On average 6 each would be a break even point. Though we don't drink this much at home, this is fairly easy to do on a cruise (lol). I do admit that I like the convenience and am more likely to try new drinks when I have the package because if I don't like something I can order something else and not worry about what I paid for it.

Also, in regard to only purchasing part of the days on board. It starts the day you purchase it and from that day forward through the end of the cruise. It is not retroactive to the beginning. Prior purchased drinks remain billed to you account.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I like getting the package for a few reasons, which many people have already pointed out. Even though it's a big fee upfront, you don't have to worry once you're actually on vacation.

Another thing I like is that if your drink melts in the sun by the pool, or you try something new that you don't like, you can just go and get something different.

I was on Allure last month with the premium package. My boyfriend had the select package and he wanted to have a sangria with me one night, which wasn't covered. It was almost $13 including tip. I definitely had two sangrias most nights which put me about half way towards my full package price, especially with the discount that was offered online beforehand.

Add in a frozen drink or two by the pool each day and you're there. I also drank a lot of the freestyle machine vitamin water and bottled water. It all depends on your preferences and how much you like to drink, but for me it ends up being worth it.

As others have said. You're all paid up before you leave port, you don't have to think over "oh wait, how many is this today, adding up to..." plus there's no moment of dread opening up that Seapass statement on the last day wondering how things tallied up.

DW does little drinking during the rest of the year and, ummm, makes up for it on board. She has an odd metabolism where she tends to not get plastered no matter what she does, no matter how many different drinks, and doesn't get hung over. The other benefit of this has been at dinner, she just flashes the card and asks the waiter not to let the wine glass go empty. We're not coffee people so she goes with the Premium.

On the other hand, I just get a Coke pass. We book a suite so I'm able to get my thing in the CL/DL/Drink pass every night.

Next, on the first day or two, find a bartender you like and who takes care of you, keep going back to his or her bar, and be sure to tip. Last two trips, the bar by the Wj never ran out of Moscato. You get a good bartender friend and by day 3 they'll see you coming and already start on your Margarita without saying a word. You get the "Here, try this." treatment. They just make stuff for you to sample, and if you don't care for it, on to the next adventure or old favorite. Finally, they may also slip an occasional free treat to the husband who bought the drink package ;) .

However, also, we do not tend to disembark immediately and be among the last to board at every port.

Does anyone know what the price would be purchasing from the bar instead of pre-paying for the whole week? This will cost over 600.00 for my and my husband for the trip...I can't drink that much!

Jennifer

You said you like frozen margaritas. They were $14 after gratuity each on Allure OTS. Sodas are $3.50 per can (packages come with fountain soda, so not apples-for-apples), water is over $4 per bottle, fancy coffee is $6. Was the $600 for each of you, or in total?

To expand on this question if weare a party of 6+ can some in our group get beverage packages and get drinks for others in the group? Don't hate me for asking!:p. How strict are they about that. Half of my group does not drink liquor

To expand on this question if weare a party of 6+ can some in our group get beverage packages and get drinks for others in the group? Don't hate me for asking!:p. How strict are they about that. Half of my group does not drink liquor

They will give you one drink per SeaPass card with a package that you bring to the bar.

As has been mentioned here, sharing is not allowed. If they catch you, the package can be taken away without a refund for the remainder of the time. Let your conscience be your guide.

You just opened a can of worms. Both my wife and I had the package and my mom got her own drinks. We did give my mom one of our soda cups as we don't drink much soda and at dinners they gave my mom free soda and I think a free drink as we were tipping pretty well along with the package.

With that said having others use your package is technically stealing. And don't be surprised if some people freak out on you. And as Bob stated they do only give one drink per sea pass card. Sometimes they also required to see the second person when we went up. It will not be easy getting drinks for others with your package

The bottom line is you will have to drink at least 5 mixed drinks per day to break even. On the beer package you need to drink about 7 beers or wine per day.

I would suggest trying the cruise without the package and then day 4 but the drink card. It will give you 10 drinks over the last 3 days for $92 including tip.

For your husband some ships offer 5 beers for the price of 4.

I just got off the oasis. Bought a beer bucket with 5 beers each sea day. Saved a few in my room frig on sea days and purchased the drink card day 5 for my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app