Online check-in now requiring port arrival time selection for suites?

The status change from complete to not complete has happened in the past for other reasons such as if they make a change to the contract they have changed you back from complete to not FWIW.

My point was that they tell *everyone* that they must select a time, when suite passengers still do not need to do so.

So why cause the inconvenience to those in suites - and also to those employees at NCL who must deal with the multiple questions - when a simple clarification could avoid most of that...?

What is occurring is that many suite passengers think they suddenly now need to select a time - because the "new incomplete docs" show this - when they do not need to do so.

It might also have been "nice" for NCL to announce more generally that there is a new section on the e-docs for boarding time selection, so everyone knows this at the same time, and so there isn't confusion about whether this is some sort of mistake.

And perhaps some indication of when the selection would appear so there isn't all this back and forth of "I don't see that" or "Where should I look because I still don't see that" [because it isn't there for that particular sailing yet]...

... then they COULD very easily have a small banner type notice that "This applies to non-suite accommodations" or "Suites do not need to arrange a specific boarding time" or such..

Then there would be the confusion with mini-suite guests saying "Hey, I have a suite so this doesn't apply to me. It's a mini-suite but still a suite, right? Whatdayamean it's not a suite? It's a mini-what? A mini-suite!"

Thanks.

We just sent email to our PCC, who is very responsive (and well connected - handy at times like this).

We're assuming he'll report back the same.

We also don't see any online indication of our Suite number as we previously did.

But we've got our original receipt documentation, and we sure hope we won't be sharing with some "new friends" :eek:

The suite # disappeared off my online personal page, but it remains on my E-docs. The website also apparently cannot determine that you already have all the specials (like the UBP and dining package) because it keeps asking me to buy them.

Then there would be the confusion with mini-suite guests saying "Hey, I have a suite so this doesn't apply to me. It's a mini-suite but still a suite, right? Whatdayamean it's not a suite? It's a mini-what? A mini-suite!"

Thre category "mini-suite" has far more problems than just this.

There are endless questions over the weeks/months/years with confusion about whether mini-suites are or are not suites.

Most unfortunate are those who get this category thinking that the word "suite" means something other than part of the description of a sort-of "deluxe balcony" cabin (not suite)... and that there are NO "suite perks" whatsoever.

And there are no doubt far more who don't know about CruiseCritic (or such), and never even think to ask, just assuming that they have a "small suite", but a suite nevertheless...

Calling this category a "deluxe balcony" (or something without the word "suite") would solve all of these potential problems.

We understand that "mini-suite" used to have some sort of suite privileges, but that bit the dust some time ago.

[That is just something we've read here; it may/may not be accurate, but if it is, at least it explains some of the history of the terminology.]

Okay...just finished our online check in for our February cruise on the Getaway. We are in the Haven. It says I am 100% complete and I never had to choose an arrival time. Very strange that people are getting different things with this.

I will keep an eye on this in the future to make sure we don't have to add this in.

We weren't able to choose our check in time until after we made final payment before our edocs were ready.

I called the pre cruise concierge yesterday. This is my first time in the Haven (got an upsell) and one of the things the young lady asked me was when I was planning on getting to the port. I've never done this before so I was sort of at a loss. She told me they'd be ready for me. Pretty cool! [emoji41]

My point was that they tell *everyone* that they must select a time, when suite passengers still do not need to do so.

So why cause the inconvenience to those in suites - and also to those employees at NCL who must deal with the multiple questions - when a simple clarification could avoid most of that...?

What is occurring is that many suite passengers think they suddenly now need to select a time - because the "new incomplete docs" show this - when they do not need to do so.

It might also have been "nice" for NCL to announce more generally that there is a new section on the e-docs for boarding time selection, so everyone knows this at the same time, and so there isn't confusion about whether this is some sort of mistake.

And perhaps some indication of when the selection would appear so there isn't all this back and forth of "I don't see that" or "Where should I look because I still don't see that" [because it isn't there for that particular sailing yet]...

I agree - just more of a heads-up to folks to check a few times after they go "complete" because they may go "not complete" due to some change NCL makes.

The suite # disappeared off my online personal page, but it remains on my E-docs. The website also apparently cannot determine that you already have all the specials (like the UBP and dining package) because it keeps asking me to buy them.

Our suite # disappeared too. But we are NOT asked an arrival time, in Venice.

And yes, it's trying to sell me the UBP which I already have as promo.

Stephen

Thre category "mini-suite" has far more problems than just this.

There are endless questions over the weeks/months/years with confusion about whether mini-suites are or are not suites.

Most unfortunate are those who get this category thinking that the word "suite" means something other than part of the description of a sort-of "deluxe balcony" cabin (not suite)... and that there are NO "suite perks" whatsoever.

And there are no doubt far more who don't know about CruiseCritic (or such), and never even think to ask, just assuming that they have a "small suite", but a suite nevertheless...

Calling this category a "deluxe balcony" (or something without the word "suite") would solve all of these potential problems.

We understand that "mini-suite" used to have some sort of suite privileges, but that bit the dust some time ago.

[That is just something we've read here; it may/may not be accurate, but if it is, at least it explains some of the history of the terminology.]

Me thinks comparing the price of the mini suite to a balcony and then to a suite might be a clue. Along with the fact the NCL website does not combine them.

If you use a TA they should provide this information as well.

Me thinks comparing the price of the mini suite to a balcony and then to a suite might be a clue. Along with the fact the NCL website does not combine them.

If you use a TA they should provide this information as well.

You and I may know this (about relative pricing), but not everyone does, or would think this way.

I can easily imagine someone reading about suites, seeing mini-suite at a lower price, and shouting something like, "Honey, look what I just found for us!!! It's smaller, but it's still a suite, and guess what we get with that!!!???"

As for TA's. many of us have probably run through at least one not-so-good TA...

It's just that NOT using the word "suite" when the cabin isn't a suite... would be so easy, and truly not ambiguous.

You and I may know this (about relative pricing), but not everyone does, or would think this way.

I can easily imagine someone reading about suites, seeing mini-suite at a lower price, and shouting something like, "Honey, look what I just found for us!!! It's smaller, but it's still a suite, and guess what we get with that!!!???"

As for TA's. many of us have probably run through at least one not-so-good TA...

It's just that NOT using the word "suite" when the cabin isn't a suite... would be so easy, and truly not ambiguous.

That actually happened the first time I booked a cruise and I didnt know about CC and didnt have a TA. But I quickly learned my lesson! :eek:

I DO agree with you that it should NOT be called that.

That actually happened the first time I booked a cruise and I didnt know about CC and didnt have a TA. But I quickly learned my lesson! :eek:

Sorry that happened to *you*, but I'm not at all surprised that it does indeed happen.

It's just too obviously a "mistake that doesn't look at all like a mistake"... something just so easy to do, fully thinking/believing that, well, "suite" means "suite" and I suppose that "mini-suite" means "little suite".

I thought I had read that at one time mini-suites had some of the suite perks, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

But they don't now, so the category name should be changed.

"Deluxe Balcony" would fit nicely with NCL's other accommodation labels (Owner's Suite, Deluxe Owner's Suite).

Thanks for mentioning this.

I have no doubt that there are many people who still don't know about CruiseCritic, and who have each stumbled upon this unfortunate misleading label.

[P.S. We might be on the Oct 7th sailing with you, but there's a good chance we'll need to cancel before penalty stage. We had hoped to go earlier, in August/September, but already had to change that.]

We weren't able to choose our check in time until after we made final payment before our edocs were ready.

Thanks for this information. One other thing to remember -- our final payment isn't due until the end of October. I'll make a note in may calendar.

Same thing happened here. At one time we were 100% complete with checkin and when the cabin numbers not being listed now someone said to check the edocs section. I did and now our checkin said 80% complete and to choose a boarding time. Earliest listed was 11:00-11:30 and I accepted that. Planning on showing up about 10:15 anyway. We are in an H6 aft Haven Suite on Escape. Maybe IT will figure this one out. :) Gerry

Wow.

We just double checked, due to your posting.

And... same thing. NOT 100% completed anymore. Only "80%" - despite our previous printing out of docs including the 100% complete displayed part.

And NO hint ANYWHERE that we now had "something else to do".

VERY BAD WAY FOR NCL TO HANDLE THIS. :mad:

Best part (er. worst part) is that I chose a time, and... was forced to choose a different time for DH.

Cute.

You better believe we'll be arriving together, and not at his later time!

We'll probably take the earlier printout of our docs showing ALL (100%) complete and show up when we planned to anyway.

After all, NCL never indicated in the slightest way that our '100% complete... wasn't, and that we needed to "check in *again*.

NCL needs to stop changing the rules after the fact.

Gotta love it that they gave no notice to passengers already 100% checked in that... they weren't...

Edited by buckeye rob

I completed our online check in a few weeks ago and it said we were 100% completed. It also said that Haven guests did not need to select an arrival time.

Today I looked and it said I was only 80% completed because I didn't choose an arrival time. So I picked the soonest available time slot #3 (#1 and #2 were all taken) which is 10:30 to 11 and now we are back to being 100% check in completed.

We were planning on getting to the port around 10am or shortly before. So my question is what happens if we get there at 10 anyway? Are they going to turn us away because its not the correct time slot?

Our suite # disappeared too. But we are NOT asked an arrival time, in Venice.

And yes, it's trying to sell me the UBP which I already have as promo.

Stephen

Hi Stephen!

We're sailing out of Venice, too, but not until September. I was wondering if this was mainly a US port thing, because I just finished all my checkin stuff yesterday (needed Chad's passport #), and it isn't asking me to pick a time (although, we're not fully paid, either--due date is July 11).

If it doesn't ask me a time after final payment, I'll assume it doesn't apply to foreign embarkation ports.

--Michael

Hi Stephen!

We're sailing out of Venice, too, but not until September. I was wondering if this was mainly a US port thing, because I just finished all my checkin stuff yesterday (needed Chad's passport #), and it isn't asking me to pick a time (although, we're not fully paid, either--due date is July 11).

If it doesn't ask me a time after final payment, I'll assume it doesn't apply to foreign embarkation ports.

--Michael

I'm on Epic out of Barcelona Sunday and I never had to select a time. I printed my docs weeks ago and have looked to see if anything changed on NCL.com and it still looks like we're good to go. I think it must be a US port thing.

Edited by BamaVol