Name Change?

My husband legally changed his entire name (first, middle, and last). We have updated the name change with the travel agent for our reservation, but his passport currently reads as his former name. I am trying to avoid paying the $100+ to have his name updated on his passport, since we just paid that much to have the passport issued a little over a year ago.

Would Royal Caribbean accept his passport with his old name if we brought his name change decree from the court? Or is there something else we can do to minimize any issues?

Thanks in advance.

My husband legally changed his entire name (first, middle, and last). We have updated the name change with the travel agent for our reservation, but his passport currently reads as his former name. I am trying to avoid paying the $100+ to have his name updated on his passport, since we just paid that much to have the passport issued a little over a year ago.

Would Royal Caribbean accept his passport with his old name if we brought his name change decree from the court? Or is there something else we can do to minimize any issues?

Thanks in advance.

I would call the cruise line to be sure, but they do accept name changes due to marriage with a bridge document.

Not as much an issue with Royal as with Immigration when you return. My name was slightly different on the ship manifest than on my passport and they held us up for over 1/2 hour. I thought the guy was going to make me go back to the ship and do a B2B. (I wish)

I would check this out with powers that be immediately. Don't want to be denied boarding.

Thanks in advance.

Per questions I recently asked Royal they will not accept a passport if it doesn't match the name on the reservation so just use his old name for the cruise and you'll be fine. Otherwise you can use a birth certificate with additional documentation for the name change but that is a pain. My wife has her maiden name on her passport and they won't even accept our marriage certificate and her passport if we used her new last name so what we do is just use her maiden name when we book a cruise and will do so until she needs a new passport. Not worth the $100+ to change it.

Per questions I recently asked Royal they will not accept a passport if it doesn't match the name on the reservation so just use his old name for the cruise and you'll be fine. Otherwise you can use a birth certificate with additional documentation for the name change but that is a pain. My wife has her maiden name on her passport and they won't even accept our marriage certificate and her passport if we used her new last name so what we do is just use her maiden name when we book a cruise and will do so until she needs a new passport. Not worth the $100+ to change it.

We've had no problem using passport with maiden name and cruise tickets in married name with a bridge document; passport plus the marriage certificate. We just got our passports changed finally, but didn't have any issues at all.

A full name change might be more difficult than just a last name, but they should be fine with a bridge document, as long as it is an original or certified copy, not just a photocopy.

Thanks in advance.

I'd either undo this or get the new passport.

Cruise documents need to match passport. Never mind trying to bridge with paperwork. Might be easy for ladies with only last name change but wouldn't risk refusal at pier because of complete name change

If you want to cruise leaving your husband at home - have him try using old passport - he will NOT be allowed to board - read your docs - get a new revised passport pronto or lose more money from cruise you wont be taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am thinking that we will just pay the cash and have it re-issued with his name next week. The cruise isn't until December, but we are going to Canada in July, so it will be easier for both trips (plus future trips) if it's done.

Thanks for the thorough answers!

I am thinking that we will just pay the cash and have it re-issued with his name next week. The cruise isn't until December, but we are going to Canada in July, so it will be easier for both trips (plus future trips) if it's done.

I would do this also. $100 and done.....its a lot cheaper to change the passport than to lose out the cruise money because they wouldn't let him board. Peace of mind is worth it.

If you want to cruise leaving your husband at home - have him try using old passport - he will NOT be allowed to board - read your docs - get a new revised passport pronto or lose more money from cruise you wont be taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check me if I'm wrong but as long as your booking name matches your passport name you are fine. It doesn't matter if he changed his name. If his passport says Jon Doe and he books the cruise as Jon Doe he will be fine and that is what Royal will probably tell you to do or they will say to update the passport. Either is fine I think. Or they can simply use a birth certificate with the name change paperwork. What you can't do is use name change paperwork (such as a marriage license) to bridge the name to a passport. I just talk to Royal about it and this is exactly what they told me. Regardless I would certainly call Royal to confirm.

Just change his name on the booking to match his passport and you will be fine. Call Royal to confirm but I'm pretty confident that is what they will tell you to do. Think about it, if the passport is valid and that is the name he uses on booking matches it how would they ever know he changed his name recently. I'm pretty sure this is exactly parallel to women who change their name after marriage. My wife has done several cruises booking with her maiden name (since we didn't get a new passport with her new legal name). The Royal rep told me to either use a birth certificate (and marriage license to show the name change) if we wanted to use her new legal name on the booking, get a new passport, or just use her maiden name and book the cruise with that name. We have had zero issues doing that and we have also flown back and forth to Europe doing this. Again, no issues with the cruise lines, airlines, or customs in any country. Don't over complicate this. Just make sure the booking name matches the passport and call Royal to confirm this is OK. That is what they told me just recently.

Daughter in law had a dilemma like this but her passport had old name and driver's license has new married name. Booked cruise under old name so her passport will match up. When she gets off ship with her license and cruise card, they will just have to explain or carry a copy of their marriage certificate. But cruise line said much easier to match name on sailing documents and passport. They went with advice from the cruise line!

From the CBP Info Center:

Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR): LPR's who change their name due to marriage or because of any other circumstance may travel using your LPR Card (US Green Card; I551) in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

Daughter in law had a dilemma like this but her passport had old name and driver's license has new married name. Booked cruise under old name so her passport will match up. When she gets off ship with her license and cruise card, they will just have to explain or carry a copy of their marriage certificate. But cruise line said much easier to match name on sailing documents and passport. They went with advice from the cruise line!

While they tell you to bring your ID and cruise card off the ship they only ask you for you sea card when you get on and off the ship. I have never been asked for more other than during initial boarding to begin the cruise. I guess if you lost your sea card that could be an issue but mine went in the water once right before boarding and they just asked me my name and could see my picture so they of course let me on. So in this case you would just use the name you boarded the ship with and if they needed documentation or proof you would get your passport from your room to show who you are. Again, this would match your passport.

We have never been asked for name progression documentation and haven't even taken it with us. We just use my wife's passport with her maiden name and make sure all reservations are booked with that name when on a cruise or traveling abroad by plane.

The people at Royal who are answering the phones don't know what they are talking about.

We've had no problem using passport with maiden name and cruise tickets in married name with a bridge document; passport plus the marriage certificate.

Makes sense!

Check me if I'm wrong but as long as your booking name matches your passport name you are fine.

Their current issue is that they went ahead and changed the name on the booking, when the ID doesn't have that name.

If it weren't for the later-mentioned trip to Canada that's before the cruise, I'd suggest they just change the name back on the booking!

From the CBP Info Center:

Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR): LPR's who change their name due to marriage or because of any other circumstance may travel using your LPR Card (US Green Card; I551) in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

Great info!

While they tell you to bring your ID and cruise card off the ship they only ask you for you sea card when you get on and off the ship. I have never been asked for more other than during initial boarding to begin the cruise. I guess if you lost your sea card that could be an issue but mine went in the water once right before boarding and they just asked me my name and could see my picture so they of course let me on. So in this case you would just use the name you boarded the ship with and if they needed documentation or proof you would get your passport from your room to show who you are. Again, this would match your passport.

We have never been asked for name progression documentation and haven't even taken it with us. We just use my wife's passport with her maiden name and make sure all reservations are booked with that name when on a cruise or traveling abroad by plane.

While the actual ship personnel might not ask for ID, they certainly do ask BEFORE you get to the ship! I've had to show ID to get through the port areas that allow access to the ships. St Maarten there's an area where they look at them. Nassau. I'm blanking on St Thomas unfortunately.

Sounds like you've taken many trips after you guys got married and your wife changed her name. Why hasn't she gotten a new passport yet? it's one thing when your name JUST changed...but waiting out the whole 10 years?

It's your choice to not carry name change documentation, but I hope someday everyone has to. It only makes sense, to show that the you on that piece of paper is the you on that card. Why would we NOT require the documentation? At any point they *could* ask her to prove the name change info. If I had changed my name (and if DH ever does change his name like he says he wants to) I'd carry it because it makes sense. And I'd want to have it, just in case!

OP just in case he has a fairly new passport....

If less than one year has passed since your passport was issued:

• You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees, unless you request Expedited Service.
  • Submit Form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your original or certified name change document (no photocopies or notarized copies), and a color passport photo. You may:
    • Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-5504; or
    • Print Form DS-5504 and complete by hand.

Quoting myself.

"St Maarten there's an area where they look at them. Nassau. I'm blanking on St Thomas unfortunately."

I still can't picture it, and of course you would need to show *something*, but I'm thinking that the reason i can't picture it is because of course St Thomas is the US and it wasn't something that was worrying me.

Also, we'd just had fabulous sandwiches at the Barefoot Buddha and I wanted to still be there. :)

I'm just curious why after going through the process to change the entire name (which usually isn't done on a whim but for a specific reason) he would even WANT to keep the passport with the old name on it. I would think he'd want all of his forms of identification to show his proper identity.

Or maybe that's how the people I know who have legally changed their names feel about it as they all changed all their forms of id no matter how recently they did it? :confused: :confused: :confused: (One, knowing the wheels were turning for the name changed, opted to let a passport expire when it was within a year of when the name change would take place. He decided it was worth not having it for that small period of time rather than pay double. Again with the fact that name changes are (or should not be) not done on a whim but after thought and planning.)

I am thinking that we will just pay the cash and have it re-issued with his name next week.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!

Even though in theory he should be able to bring his old passport and proof of name change, why would he want to? Most agents probably aren't used to seeing paperwork for anything other than a name change due to marriage/divorce so it would likely be a hassle and take extra time. Not to mention that if he wanted to change his name so badly that he took legal steps to do so, I would think the new passport fee would be a small price to pay to have his official documents all in his new name.

The people at Royal who are answering the phones don't know what they are talking about.

Some do and some don't. I made sure to confirm this and get additional confirmation from the supervisor.

Their current issue is that they went ahead and changed the name on the booking, when the ID doesn't have that name.

All they need to do is change the booking name which is as easy as a phone call.

If it weren't for the later-mentioned trip to Canada that's before the cruise, I'd suggest they just change the name back on the booking!

They can simply use the old name for all bookings.

While the actual ship personnel might not ask for ID, they certainly do ask BEFORE you get to the ship! I've had to show ID to get through the port areas that allow access to the ships. St Maarten there's an area where they look at them. Nassau. I'm blanking on St Thomas unfortunately.

Again, just bring the passport or an ID with the old name. Do you really think a port security guard in St. Maarten knows whether you changed your name recently. If the ID matches your card and your face you are good.

Sounds like you've taken many trips after you guys got married and your wife changed her name. Why hasn't she gotten a new passport yet? it's one thing when your name JUST changed...but waiting out the whole 10 years?

Easy. A waste of $ to change it and you don't have to do it. The govt is really jerking over those that get married and there really is no need to change the passport if you book with your maiden name. Do you really think any guard or even US Customs knows my wife's name changed? Like they have some national database on name changes. Not in a million years. If her passport is valid and matches her face she is fine. How would anyone ever know one way or the other. That's why all of these comments are off. Now is it safer to get a new passport? Of course, and all other things equal I would do that. But not all things are equal since it costs a lot of money to change a passport. The OP said they'd rather not pay the $100+ and I was giving a valid and reasonable option. If the OP is going to do a bunch of international travel then I would say change it. But just for a cruise now I wouldn't and I know they will have no problems. .

It's your choice to not carry name change documentation, but I hope someday everyone has to. It only makes sense, to show that the you on that piece of paper is the you on that card. Why would we NOT require the documentation? At any point they *could* ask her to prove the name change info. If I had changed my name (and if DH ever does change his name like he says he wants to) I'd carry it because it makes sense. And I'd want to have it, just in case!

Edited by topnole

While they tell you to bring your ID and cruise card off the ship they only ask you for you sea card when you get on and off the ship.

This is a little off topic--but, i did not want to let this comment pass. We were in Puerto Rico and St Thomas last week and they asked for sea pass cards and photo ID at both places. In fact, a lady in Puerto Rico was really being raked over the coals for only having a sea pass at the entrance to the port. I assume they eventually let her pass.

This is a little off topic--but, i did not want to let this comment pass. We were in Puerto Rico and St Thomas last week and they asked for sea pass cards and photo ID at both places. In fact, a lady in Puerto Rico was really being raked over the coals for only having a sea pass at the entrance to the port. I assume they eventually let her pass.

As they do at many ports, although not always on a consistent basis.

I'm just curious why after going through the process to change the entire name (which usually isn't done on a whim but for a specific reason) he would even WANT to keep the passport with the old name on it. I would think he'd want all of his forms of identification to show his proper identity.

Or maybe that's how the people I know who have legally changed their names feel about it as they all changed all their forms of id no matter how recently they did it? :confused: :confused: :confused: (One, knowing the wheels were turning for the name changed, opted to let a passport expire when it was within a year of when the name change would take place. He decided it was worth not having it for that small period of time rather than pay double. Again with the fact that name changes are (or should not be) not done on a whim but after thought and planning.)

To answer your question. He had been going by his current name since birth due to an family estrangement issue. Employers, schools, friends, family, etc., all identified him by his current name. So, legally transitioning his name wasn't a monumental moment. He planned to change it much sooner, but decided to wait until marriage (he took my last name) so he only had to endure the name change process once.

The passport isn't the only document that reflects his former name. The deed to our house, and titles to our cars are the same. We could pay to update the name on each, but were advised that it serves no benefit or legal protection because they are covered under an "AKA" clause. Once we sell any of these things and buy another, we will be using his current legal name.

His drivers license, insurance policies, bank accounts, memberships, etc.. and other documents that we come into contact with more often all show is current name. The last time we touched his passport was 5 months before the name change, which was months ago from today anyway. So, paying $100+ to update a document that we weren't planning to use for an indefinite amount of time made it a low priority....until we found excuses to go abroad recently :D

QUOTE: If less than one year has passed since your passport was issued:

You will not have to pay any passport or processing fees, unless you request Expedited Service.

Submit Form DS-5504 by mail with your current passport, your original or certified name change document (no photocopies or notarized copies), and a color passport photo. You may:

Use our online guide to fill out and print Form DS-5504; or

Print Form DS-5504 and complete by hand.

This is good info! Thanks! He called the passport office a couple of months ago and they told us that we would have to pay the standard issuing fee. They never mentioned any other options. However, he hasn't had the passport for a full year anyway. He's dangerously close to the deadline now, but he wasn't when we first looked into it.

Time to get this thing in the mail!

Some do and some don't. I made sure to confirm this and get additional confirmation from the supervisor.

All they need to do is change the booking name which is as easy as a phone call.

They can simply use the old name for all bookings.

Again, just bring the passport or an ID with the old name. Do you really think a port security guard in St. Maarten knows whether you changed your name recently. If the ID matches your card and your face you are good.

Easy. A waste of $ to change it and you don't have to do it. The govt is really jerking over those that get married and there really is no need to change the passport if you book with your maiden name. Do you really think any guard or even US Customs knows my wife's name changed? Like they have some national database on name changes. Not in a million years. If her passport is valid and matches her face she is fine. How would anyone ever know one way or the other. That's why all of these comments are off. Now is it safer to get a new passport? Of course, and all other things equal I would do that. But not all things are equal since it costs a lot of money to change a passport. The OP said they'd rather not pay the $100+ and I was giving a valid and reasonable option. If the OP is going to do a bunch of international travel then I would say change it. But just for a cruise now I wouldn't and I know they will have no problems. .

To answer your question. He had been going by his current name since birth due to an family estrangement issue. Employers, schools, friends, family, etc., all identified him by his current name. So, legally transitioning his name wasn't a monumental moment. He planned to change it much sooner, but decided to wait until marriage (he took my last name) so he only had to endure the name change process once.

The passport isn't the only document that reflects his former name. The deed to our house, and titles to our cars are the same. We could pay to update the name on each, but were advised that it serves no benefit or legal protection because they are covered under an "AKA" clause. Once we sell any of these things and buy another, we will be using his current legal name.

His drivers license, insurance policies, bank accounts, memberships, etc.. and other documents that we come into contact with more often all show is current name. The last time we touched his passport was 5 months before the name change, which was months ago from today anyway. So, paying $100+ to update a document that we weren't planning to use for an indefinite amount of time made it a low priority....until we found excuses to go abroad recently :D

This is good info! Thanks! He called the passport office a couple of months ago and they told us that we would have to pay the standard issuing fee. They never mentioned any other options. However, he hasn't had the passport for a full year anyway. He's dangerously close to the deadline now, but he wasn't when we first looked into it.

Time to get this thing in the mail!

By the way, there is a fee for doing this if the passport is older than 1 year and it is about $100 so unless his passport is less than a year old this information is wrong. You really don't need to change it for this cruise if you book with the cruise under his old name especially if you still have drivers license etc. in his old name. No one would ever know the difference unless you say to people at check in, customs, security check points that you did a name change (which of course you don't need to do). When finishing the cruise you only fill out one customs form for both of you. Just put your name down and fill it out as traveling with one family member. Then they just look at both passports when you exit customs. That is it and in fact you are not required to have any other forms of ID. So having name change documentation could be a back up plan but you won't need it.

If you have driver's license etc. in his former name and your passport in his former name you can easily save the money and just book it under his old name. It will not be an issue at all.