Is it possible to eat healthy on a cruise?

It is definitely easier to eat healthy on a cruise.

The biggest obstacle I find when it comes to eating healthy is that we always get so busy that you don't always wanna prepare and cook your meals after a long day and you can only keep fresh items on hand for so long. Often stick to frozen vegetables and frozen fruit for smoothies.

The cruise has more variety on hand and you don't have to prep or cook it and it's pretty on demand all day, every day. Freshly cut and prepared . . . I mean for an entire week you feel like one of those celebrities that always talks about losing weight . . . well the reason it is so easy for them is because many of them have a five star chef on hand making them whatever they want whenever they want.

Of course there is far more temptation as well.

Edited by kdawg954

Unless the MDR is a big deal to you my suggestion is Windjammer. I am a strict vegetarian and always eat in Windjammer, much more choice.

I am pretty much a vegetarian, only eat chicken/turkey and don't like seafood. I ask my waiter in the MDR to get me steamed veggies for dinner and a salad. I have absolutely no problems getting low cal, vegetarian style dinners in the MDR. waiters are more than happy to get me what I ask for. Rarely do I eat meat, mostly salads/veggies for dinner and we normally eat in the MDR all but maybe one night on the cruise.

For the most part you can eat smart and healthy in the Windjammer/buffet. Difficulty is in the main dining room. I eat a whole food/oil free vegan diet, so I had to work with the head waiter on my meals. I started getting steamed veges with my meal every night, along with getting mixed fruits for desert. They always made a main meal that was ok (with beans, veges etc..). So I found no issues. Some head waiters will work hard to help you and some don't. So if the main dining room really does not work out, head to windjammer. You wont go hungry, and you will feel good about what you ate.

Thanks everyone!! :) I can do this!!

I use Skinny Girl sweetener with Stevia which my Dr told me was better than the artificial sweeteners and I also found a drink mix at Walmart that has protein and fiber in it and is not artificially sweetened. I took it to my Dr and she said that was perfect. So will definitely take that with me.

We've been to Alaska twice and it is beautiful! I will also do a lot of walking.

Thanks again so much for all your input. I'll keep everyone posted. :)

Unlike a shore side restaurant ,the MDR's smaller portions don't overwhelm me .and I eat better . Not so good for me is the buffet :(

And watch those Sugar Fee desserts , hidden carbs & cals .

Edited by MCC retired

Don't forget the simple grilled chicken breast available every night in the MDR and you can always ask them to hold any sauces or put them on the side. Eating healthfully is very doable on any ship, but I won't say it is easy !!!:D;)

I am a diabetic and lost 45 pds before I went on cruises. I wear a fitbit which has helped me out . You would think you walk enough not to worry about getting enough steps a day. But the fitbit keeps you on track. I walk the track

and that is it. Or you might see me in the hall ways late at night getting in the steps.

I prefer eating in the Windjammer because I can get fruits and vegs. I am not

a fish person at all.

I have never gained weight on a cruise. And I don't starve my self either.

Nor do I pig out every day. If you like to swim that is a pretty good exercise

workout too.

Tried the gyms and hate them. So you can at least not gain weight and pat yourself on the back after a cruise you did it! You pig out than you just have to work out more that day.

I mean...other than health concerns...why would you WANT to?? :)

I myself have lost 23 lbs. for my upcoming cruise in January, 2017 (started labor day weekend). I still plan on losing...but immediately gain some of it back after the cruise is done :D

I have cruised with plenty of people who had strict diet regimens, and they had more than their share of delicious choices. Personally, as hard as I try to eat healthy onboard...I always manage to fall off the horse big time. :(

Moderation is the key.

I've revamped my diet over the past year. I was down about 30 pounds... now hovering around the 20lbs mark.

My philosophy has been not to eliminate sweets, but to reduce them. I have a huge sweet tooth. If I allow myself the occasional indulgence ( i.e. having two cookies with my salad for lunch) then I will resist the temptation to splurge( buying a box of cookies at the bakery).

As mentioned earlier, the stairs can be the difference between gaining and losing weight. With the amount of walking you do on board, you can burn a good amount of calories by taking the stairs whenever possible.

Ok so I am on a diet. 1200 calories a day and I'm going on a cruise. 21 more pounds to lose. Not the best time I know but hey it's going to be a lifestyle change for me. At least I hope so!

I need to eat low carb, low calorie, low sugar, type foods. We'll be on the Explorer of the Seas in less than 2 weeks to Alaska. My plan is to go to the fitness area at least 4-5 times while onboard. I can say no to the desserts after every dinner meal. But just wondering if they offer "Healthy Meals?" Do they offer healthy smoothie's anywhere on the ship? I like fish and Salmon but not any other kind of seafood.

Your thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. :)

Define healthy? I am by choice no carbs. I am close to a strict carnivore with my few carbs limited to red wine and what little carbs are in cheese. I eat very few vegetables. I have been doing this for years and I find it very easy to eat no carbs on a cruise. I do like fish and shrimp though along with the beef and pork.

All great advice..

I love the smaller portion sizes in the MDR, so much better than shoreside restaurants. I treat bread like a treat, do the stairs as much as possible and absolutely love my FitBit for helping me stay on track. I would love to take the staff who cut, dice, slice all those fruits and veges home with me.

If you have the willpower lots of good choices.

I suggest to remember to take a good long walk around the ship each day. If you are in good shape walk the stairs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes you can and every cruise I promise myself I will but eventually I give up. Actually I never start so giving up implies I tried and stopped but that's a lie.

Recently when I came home from a cruise I had a Dr appt and he made note that my blood pressure a a bit high. I responded that it was probably because of all the rich food I just had during the past 12 days. "You should try and avoid salt when on those cruises" he said. I responded with "Nope, don't think I'll do that". If I want to eat straw and veggies, I'll stay home. I sure as hell wont pay thousands to eat that.

I am trying to stick to a whole foods based regiment, it always seems easier for me to stick to it on a cruise because everything is already prepared, be it salad items chopped, fruit precut, ect. all I have to do is choose wisely.....and I have never gained weight because I am more active. Can't wait to see what the fitbit totals are on my week at sea! Don't stress it you will do fine!

I am also a gym rat and work out about 2-3 hours a day at home. So I am up every morning on the cruise and at the gym before 6 or at 6 if they don't let me in before they open. I settle for an hour a day on a cruise vs 3 hours at home, plus take many walks on the beaches we go to. But at least I feel good that I got in the gym, got my cardio and worked off all the beer I drank the day before - lol!!!!:):):)

Edited by karena1

For women older than 50, like me, know that most of us have a slow metabolism and one dessert we can gain 3-5 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One desert equates to a 3-5 pound weight gain? Exactly how big of a desert are you talking about?

Ok so I am on a diet. 1200 calories a day and I'm going on a cruise. 21 more pounds to lose. Not the best time I know but hey it's going to be a lifestyle change for me. At least I hope so!

I need to eat low carb, low calorie, low sugar, type foods. We'll be on the Explorer of the Seas in less than 2 weeks to Alaska. My plan is to go to the fitness area at least 4-5 times while onboard. I can say no to the desserts after every dinner meal. But just wondering if they offer "Healthy Meals?" Do they offer healthy smoothie's anywhere on the ship? I like fish and Salmon but not any other kind of seafood.

Your thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. :)

It's incredibly easy to be healthy on a cruise - liquid diet

I stick to water with a nice slice of lime - well it looks like water ;)

On our last cruise I was shocked when I got home and hadn't gained even one pound. I tried to make sure I walked that dang walking path a couple miles a day and always took the stairs instead of the elevator - well except after I'd been in the Diamond Lounge in The Vortex before dinner! LOL

To answer the original question / thread title - YES!

I have a close friend who survived a stroke nearly 12 years ago. He is required to sustain a rigid & limited list of foods to consumer.

He and his wife joined us about a year ago on a wonderful Alaska cruise, whereby he not only had no difficulty consuming "acceptable foods", but he (ironically) gained 2 pounds during the 7 day cruise period. At no time did he have any problem getting both a good selection as well as access to what he could eat. :)

Another friend on a recent cruise has "very fussy limits" on what they will eat - their description not mine - and they repeatedly commented that there "was plenty to choose from and plenty of food overall".

For the rest of us who enjoy a wider range of food - well - no problems on that front. :D

Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck with those last 21 lbs!!!

I only eat in the MDR unless it is closed for lunch. Something no one has mentioned so far is the wonderful salad bar in the MDR at lunch time. It has a special name which eludes me at 1:30 AM!!! I usually have a non cream based soup and salad bar for lunch. I'm a sweet-a-holic, but I don't touch bread. I'm also allergic to fish and seafood, but I have so many choices and always lose several pounds on a cruise. Perhaps because I eat so many salads and veggies as well as walk much more than at home. When I was young I did the stairs except on formal nights when I was in heels! Now that i'm old and creaky, I mainly do the elevator!!!

Enjoy your cruise, don't dwell on food and you'll be fine!!

To Mark from Sheffield, congrats on the 3 stone!!!! For those who don't speak British, 1 stone = 14 lbs!!!!!