Princess Cruise Secrets 2016

barbpretz

I noticed that people were still posting to the Princess Cruise Secrets 2015 thread, so I thought someone should start a separate thread for 2016. I will be going on my first Princess cruise in August so I don't have any secrets to share yet, but I'm an avid reader of the previous Secrets threads and would love to hear some more for 2016.

(Also, if I did this wrong, please feel free to delete this post and start your own Princess Secrets 2016 thread - I just wanted to keep the conversation going)

I too am an avid reader and going on my first cruise in November, so thank you for starting the new thread! Hope to learn lots!:)

In that case, congratulations! You will only have one first cruise. It took forever for my wife to convince me to try a cruise as I positively, absolutely knew I would hate everything about it. Of course, when I got off the ship after the cruise ended, I wanted to get right back on again. D'Oh!

I'm glad we started with Princess. I know people my age who tried cruising once - on Carnival - in the Caribbean - during Spring Break. They will never cruise again. (Of course, if that had been my first experience, I would have saved a lot of money by never cruising again...)

That is the real Princess secret. You will probably get hooked. Enjoy your cruise.

In that case, congratulations! You will only have one first cruise. It took forever for my wife to convince me to try a cruise as I positively, absolutely knew I would hate everything about it. Of course, when I got off the ship after the cruise ended, I wanted to get right back on again. D'Oh!

I'm glad we started with Princess. I know people my age who tried cruising once - on Carnival - in the Caribbean - during Spring Break. They will never cruise again. (Of course, if that had been my first experience, I would have saved a lot of money by never cruising again...)

That is the real Princess secret. You will probably get hooked. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! I am eager to find out if we will love cruises as much as so many others. I appreciate your kindness!

In that case, congratulations! You will only have one first cruise. It took forever for my wife to convince me to try a cruise as I positively, absolutely knew I would hate everything about it. Of course, when I got off the ship after the cruise ended, I wanted to get right back on again. D'Oh

You sound just like my husband! I had to drag him kicking and screaming onto our first cruise. And at the end of that first cruise I had to drag him kicking and screaming to get him off the ship. I booked a 7 day cruise for our first and was so worried he'd hate it. On the last day he said "you should have booked a two week cruise". We've never done less than 10 days since.

Princess often has their Shore Excursions up for booking sooner than you may think.

We are Caribbean Princess in January 2017. Our excursions became available for booking this months -- 8 Months ahead of time. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

On the Grand Class Ships go as far forward on the Lido Deck as you can. there are doors on both sides of the ship that lead to a great viewing area at the front of the ship on top of the Ship's Bridge. If the second door is locked its most likely due to weather issues, but normally in good weather you have access. We found out about this area when we were in one of the Oceanview cabins that look out onto it. There are also two Suites with the balcony areas right there, so you might meet a new friend or two. It is one of my favorite spots to take sunrise and sunset pictures!

26854354181_a52d269802_z.jpg

Cabin walls are metal, so bring magnetic hooks to hang stuff on wall and not clutter desk.

Bring 5 or 6 large black binder clips to weigh down shower curtain so that it doesn't attack your body.

We've brought clips for several cruises, just read an idea about using clothes pins instead! Double duty when you need to hang something to dry & I'm sure much less noise when moving the curtain! :D

P.S. Our mini-suite on the Island this spring had magnets in the hem of the shower curtain! Didn't need the clips this time! Yippee! :D:D

I too am an avid reader and going on my first cruise in November, so thank you for starting the new thread! Hope to learn lots!:)

This is really not a secret but: Since all cabin doors look the same to identify yours make a cute door hanging that would go on the outside of your cabin door...easy to spot when you are ready to go inside, and to, Others will look at them just to get idea to place on their door for their next cruise.:D

Cabin walls are metal, so bring magnetic hooks to hang stuff on wall and not clutter desk.

Bring 5 or 6 large black binder clips to weigh down shower curtain so that it doesn't attack your body.

LOL. That should always remain a secret to first time cruisers.:D

On Embarkation day- if you don't board in time to go to the 1 open dining room serving lunch- the Piazza with the International Cafe or Alfredo's- is a great non-crowded place to have lunch. The crowds are at the buffet and we find this area is a great place to begin our vacation after waiting in lines to board.

We've brought clips for several cruises, just read an idea about using clothes pins instead! Double duty when you need to hang something to dry & I'm sure much less noise when moving the curtain! :D

P.S. Our mini-suite on the Island this spring had magnets in the hem of the shower curtain! Didn't need the clips this time! Yippee! :D:D

Our mini-suite on Emerald in January also had some sort of weights in the hem of the shower curtain.

Having the extra shower space because of the tub/shower combo is helpful as well. :)

LuLu

• 1 month later...
I would like to see some new tips and new Princess Secrets from

Some passengers get turned around rather easily when in the hallways. The carpet on the port side has a red edge. The starboard carpet has a blue edge. Look for the edge color and you'll know what side of the ship you're on.

Also, the carpets have a wave pattern and the crest of the waves (the tops) face toward the bow.

Edited by knotgillty

Our first cruise on Princess, October 22 '16, we decided to give Princess a try after 10 Celebrity (Solstace class) 4 on R/C Allure and Oasis and 1 on MSC Divina.

One thing we will miss is the "status" that comes with staying with one line....oh well, if we like Princess we will be back.

We have a mini suite on Baha deck.

What is the "deal"with the coffee card, one thing I found on our previous cruises is that the coffee served in general was not great...the only good coffee was in the coffee shops, (and I don't mean Starbucks...ugh)

Some passengers get turned around rather easily when in the hallways. The carpet on the port side has a red edge. The starboard carpet has a blue edge. Look for the edge color and you'll know what side of the ship you're on.

Also, the carpets have a wave pattern and the crest of the waves (the tops) face toward the bow.

On our recent southbound from Alaska there were mostly blue card holders. I saw a couple leave the elevator and head to the port side. The woman looked confused and said something like, "I think this is the wrong side". I pointed out the red stripe and explained how it worked and she and her husband were delighted to learn this little trick. She thanked me quite nicely and they walked back to the starboard side smiling. It's handy for folks as you can see the stripe when you exit the elevator and it avoids confusion for those who are unsure which way to turn.

Now Now, it doesn't attack it merely gets veryvery intimate LOL :D

Our first cruise on Princess, October 22 '16, we decided to give Princess a try after 10 Celebrity (Solstace class) 4 on R/C Allure and Oasis and 1 on MSC Divina.

One thing we will miss is the "status" that comes with staying with one line....oh well, if we like Princess we will be back.

We have a mini suite on Baha deck.

What is the "deal"with the coffee card, one thing I found on our previous cruises is that the coffee served in general was not great...the only good coffee was in the coffee shops, (and I don't mean Starbucks...ugh)

You can buy a coffee card for use in the specialty coffee shops. It can be purchased onboard or pre purchased online. It is usually a little cheaper online before your cruise and includes the 15% tip in the price of the card.It can used for unlimited brewed coffee, without using any of the punches,for the cruise you first use it on and for specialty coffees until you use all the 15 punches on any cruise even another cruise, if you have punches left. The catch is that you only get brewed coffee, with no punches used, on the first cruise you use the card on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Now Now, it doesn't attack it merely gets veryvery intimate LOL :D

We found that the shower curtain in the tub with a mini suite was even more "affectionate" than the shower curtain in the regular shower. In the regular shower it is often effective to just wet the wall and curtain and the bottom will kind of stick there by itself. It certainly doesn't seem to work in a tub. A couple of binder clips really will provide enough weight to keep it under control and they are small and easy to pack.

They are doing away with the coloured on some ships, I know last year on Diamond they were replacing a lot of carpet and using the same carpet port and starboard, which I was sad to see.