Princess Cruise Secrets 2016

barbpretz

In the USA thongs mean a kind of underwear with no coverage on the butt cheeks, that's why people were confused why you would have them on in the shower.

Yeah, I know, that's why I mentioned it.

Funny the language issues between people that purportedly speak the same language isn't it.

Yeah, I know, that's why I mentioned it.

Funny the language issues between people that purportedly speak the same language isn't it.

Oh - you meant thongs that are shoes! That's completely different. Nevermind.

I hadn't heard them called thongs in the USA since the sixties. The ones I have are from Hawai'i and are called "slippahs"

Also known as Zoris or SlipSlips as well as Thongs, Slippers, and FlipFlops

Oh - you meant thongs that are shoes! That's completely different. Nevermind.

I hadn't heard them called thongs in the USA since the sixties. The ones I have are from Hawai'i and are called "slippahs"

Also known as Zoris or SlipSlips as well as Thongs, Slippers, and FlipFlops

Australia need to adopt the New Zealand name for them, then there wouldn't be any confusion.

NZers call them Jandals, a contraction of Japanese Sandals. It's actually a trademark of the Skellerup company – one of the earliest manufacturers of the modern (rubber/plastic) design.

So much confusion about shower shoes.....I seem to remember the first of them being made from old car tires......(boy I'm old)

2 things I'll NEVER wear, shower shoes and sandals....yuck. (actually 3, a thong, although there were some 20's something girls on the beach over the weekend playing volleyball....what a sight....they were wearing THONGS)

With the carpet becoming all one color there is another way to identify port from starboard. Not sure if this hold on all Princess ships but I have found that when exiting the elevators they all face forward with two exceptions, Exceptions are panoramic elevators in piazza and elevators by aft dining room which are port and starboard. So I have found that when exiting elevators on passenger decks port will be on left and starboard on right.

Chris

With the carpet becoming all one color there is another way to identify port from starboard. Not sure if this hold on all Princess ships but I have found that when exiting the elevators they all face forward with two exceptions, Exceptions are panoramic elevators in piazza and elevators by aft dining room which are port and starboard. So I have found that when exiting elevators on passenger decks port will be on left and starboard on right.

Chris

The aft elevators, at least on the Grand-class ships, face forward as well.

I am one of those fortunate people who can get lost in a paper bag. I have very little sense of direction.:confused:

I don't like hearing that they are taking away the different carpets..it helped so much. Now I'm going to be going to every design map near the elevator to figure which side has the odd cabins and which is even :o

Well, I guess that wont matter on our next cruise. We have our first aft balcony.

0kay, maybe more like tips than secrets but here are mine.

Secret #1. I love luxury but always need to save money. I budget for at least one massage per cruise. But they are pricey. So I attend the embarkation day pitch and raffle and slip out just before it ends so I am the first to grab the spa "special" they promote at the event. And am first in line to book it as well.

#2 if you want to reserve Sanctuary run, don't walk, and reserve your days and lounge chairs. And learn the names of the great servers you will learn to appreciate and respect during your time there

#3 hate the small shower in your cabin? Hate sand after your beach day in your small bathroom in your small cabin that ends up in your huge bed? Take advantage of the ladies room in the spa. Big showers, nice fluffy towels. I go straight there after a beach excursion.

#4 make plans and reservations EARLY for specialty dining. It can fill up quickly.

#5 keep an eye on the Patter for BOGO drink hours and locations.

#6 learn secret and quieter locations on your own by walking the entirety of the ship, deck by deck, on your first day. We do it on every ship.

Happy cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How do you gain access to the spa showers? Is there a pass to purchase?

You can stack your OBC when they are the following -

Future Cruise Credit - 17-44 Days $150 Balcony/Mini/Suites; $125 Inside/Outside

11-16 Days $100 Balcony/Mini/Suites; $75 Inside/Outside

7-10 Days $50 Balcony/Mini/Suites; $25 Inside/Outside

3-6 Days $25 Balcony/Mini/Suites; $15 Inside/Outside

Military Benefit - 15 Days or More - $250

7-14 Days - $100

1-6 Days - $50

Shareholder Benefit - Same as Military

You get Future Cruise Credit (FCC) by putting down $100 cruise deposit while you are on your cruise.

You get a military benefit if you are a veteran and after sending Princess your DD214. (You send it once and Princess keeps it on record and automatically applies it every cruise - just make sure to check your paperwork - Princess has been known to update their systems and lose this info.)

Shareholder Benefit - Buy 100 shares of Princess Stock and provide Princess with Proof of ownership. You have to show this proof every cruise.

My husband and I travelled to Hawaii on a 15 day cruise. - We had $200 FCC. $250 Military, $250 Shareholder and $200 from our TA. $900 OBC woohoo! And yes I managed to spend it all. lol

Thanks! I am a first time Princess cruiser so I will definitely be looking out for the FCC.

If the carpet is such a problem, that they can't have the two colours, why can't they paint the hand rails Or even just a strip at floor level. Really doesn't seem a lot to ask.

It's not rocket science. Maybe just a sign as you come out of the lifts showing which side is port and starboard? You then get a 50/50 shot at forward and aft [emoji6]

How do you gain access to the spa showers? Is there a pass to purchase?

There IS a charge for the spa showers but the regular bathrooms/changing rooms folks use for the gym are open to all. Those are the showers I am talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I thought everyone knew. Those that don't. Each deck sign shows which way the bow of the ship is. Simply go the direction seen on the sign. These signs are posted at each elevator and show the way forward or aft.

3f2f22585caa3866ddad29a18ac0e385_235.jpeg

There IS a charge for the spa showers but the regular bathrooms/changing rooms folks use for the gym are open to all. Those are the showers I am talking about.

True for Royal/Regal/Majestic.

On Grand class ships the sauna/steam rooms and showers are open to all for no charge (on Grand and Golden the sauna/steam/showers are in the Lotus Spa Pool area). Looks to me to be the same on Coral & Island.

There is a charge for the Thermal Suite on Grand class - except Grand and Golden that don't have a Thermal Suite.

if you have any plans to cruise Princess again, make certain to get that Future Cruise Credit.

That is one thing we always do early during the cruise. We get at least two FCC'S each ........... good to have extras available at home :) !

That is one thing we always do early during the cruise. We get at least two FCC'S each ........... good to have extras available at home :) !

Good idea! This isn't a good secret, but something I wasn't aware of. We had booked a short 4 day out of LA for Sept of 2015 back in April May time frame. Used our FCC for that. Then in July the Sip and Sail promo came along and we booked a cruise for Oct 2016. Deposit was only $100 under sip and sail so no problem.

I bought 2 new FCC for DH and I on our Sept 2015 cruise. Got home and called Princess to have the 2 FCC applied toward our Oct 2016 cruise, and they wouldn't let me use it. (Not only that, but somehow the agent got confused and put in for a refund! Imagine my shock when I got my Credit Card Statement and there is a $200 credit from Princess. I called and tried to have it put back as FCC and the agent said there is no way to fix it. You only have X days after sailing to purchase FCC!). Lesson learned. Keep extra FCC on hand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the carpet is such a problem, that they can't have the two colours, why can't they paint the hand rails Or even just a strip at floor level. Really doesn't seem a lot to ask.

All this seems to be much todo over nothing doesn't it? If you come off an elevator and turn toward the left or right, on every Princess ship I've been on so far (although there are a lot that I've never been on!) there is a ship outline on the wall at eye level that indicates which way is forward and which way is aft by the way the ship is pointing. Thus even people who might be color-blind to some extent can tell which way is which!

Of course, I may be missing some other reason that the color or wave pattern on the carpet may be helpful also.

Tom

All this seems to be much todo over nothing doesn't it? If you come off an elevator and turn toward the left or right, on every Princess ship I've been on so far (although there are a lot that I've never been on!) there is a ship outline on the wall at eye level that indicates which way is forward and which way is aft by the way the ship is pointing. Thus even people who might be color-blind to some extent can tell which way is which!

Of course, I may be missing some other reason that the color or wave pattern on the carpet may be helpful also.

Tom

The reason the color was helpful is that the Port carpet had a red stripe and the Starboard carpet had a blue stripe. So many newer cruisers get confused as to which way to turn when exiting the elevators. They go one way, check the numbers on the cabin doors, then turn around and go to the other side of the ship when they realize the numbers are "wrong" (not even or odd - whichever their cabin is). It was nice to be able to tell these folks about the stripes so they had a quick visual reference even from the elevator entrances.

It's not a huge deal but it was a nice touch.