Tips/charges

holidayhelen

Standard charge is added automatically to your on board account. Cabins are charged at the rate of £5.50 per person per day where the person is twelve years of age or older.

You may attend Reception Desk and get this cancelled but this may well involve you in problems. My personal view for people who want the least stress and wish to reward good service is to leave charge on and add minor tips as you feel appropriate.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

An interesting 39% increase over the last two years.

As customers are told that stewards and waiting staff only receive a small wage plus the Service Charge, then they must be celebrating their massive pay increase. Unless of course P&O are being economical with the truth.

Standard charge is added automatically to your on board account. Cabins are charged at the rate of £5.50 per person per day where the person is twelve years of age or older.

You may attend Reception Desk and get this cancelled but this may well involve you in problems. My personal view for people who want the least stress and wish to reward good service is to leave charge on and add minor tips as you feel appropriate.

Regards John

Can I ask, why will it involve you in problems?

We are going on our first cruise in September with 2 of our children, both over the age limit for paying the daily tips. After a lot of discussion we have decided to remove auto and then tip ourselves as we feel fit. I don't believe in faceless tipping and don't feel as anyone should be bullied into auto tips. I've already talked to P & O direct and they have assured me that there will be no problem in doing this and we will not be treated any different to other passenger, so I would be interested to find out from others what problems we could encounter from our decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We removed the auto tips upon boarding (as did many others) and encountered no problems whatsoever. We would always tip face to face (and did so) rather than tip in advance for what might turn out to be mediocre service.

Can I ask, why will it involve you in problems?

Some people are of the opinion that relevant staff are advised of your auto-gratuities status. I certainly gave a waiter a tip who said I had already paid. If people are advised specifically who has opted out as opposed to 25% of the passengers you deal with have withdrawn auto-gratuities. Why have people withdrawn from the auto-gratuities system? Is it because they want to save a lot of money by not tipping anyone or is it because they want to tip hard working staff with high amounts of cash in hand? I have in the past seen long queues on final days of cruises of people cancelling at the last minute. I have queued up myself to do something different and counter staff seemed to be thinking I was queueing in relation to tips cancellation.

This is why I say avoid possible confrontation problems and tip on top of basic auto-gratuities level as and when you want.

Regards John

I just find leaving the auto tip on so easy....you don't have to worry about how much etc etc it's all taken care of simples...and to add,I never add or take away....I never tip for room service, I never tip extra if I've had excellent service that's why I leave the auto tips on,its either auto tips or back to the old days of tips in an envelope but certainly not both....

Edited by bunkrest

Some people are of the opinion that relevant staff are advised of your auto-gratuities status. I certainly gave a waiter a tip who said I had already paid. If people are advised specifically who has opted out as opposed to 25% of the passengers you deal with have withdrawn auto-gratuities. Why have people withdrawn from the auto-gratuities system? Is it because they want to save a lot of money by not tipping anyone or is it because they want to tip hard working staff with high amounts of cash in hand? I have in the past seen long queues on final days of cruises of people cancelling at the last minute. I have queued up myself to do something different and counter staff seemed to be thinking I was queueing in relation to tips cancellation.

This is why I say avoid possible confrontation problems and tip on top of basic auto-gratuities level as and when you want.

Regards John

Very well said.

We are auto tippers so just wondered what you meant, over on P&Os FB page they actually admitted the crew do know who's done what.

Out of interest who tips room service? We give £1.50 or €2 and they always seem shocked to get something, we do seem to get the same room service guy after the first order.. :)

Very well said.

We are auto tippers so just wondered what you meant, over on P&Os FB page they actually admitted the crew do know who's done what.

Out of interest who tips room service? We give £1.50 or €2 and they always seem shocked to get something, we do seem to get the same room service guy after the first order.. :)

We tip room service; am happy to do so.

We remove autotips and tip with an envelope as we always have. we have never had a problem at all. I also don't like the faceless tipping, as I still feel I have to give something in an envelope, so might as well do it all that way.

We remove autotips and tip with an envelope as we always have. we have never had a problem at all. I also don't like the faceless tipping, as I still feel I have to give something in an envelope, so might as well do it all that way.

I might try this way again on next cruise..?

No no I don't tip room service...on all my cruises with auto tips the auto tips take care of all of that....I don't take my car for a service be presented with a £300 bill then say "oh here's another £30 because you've smiled at me....listen,auto tips takes care of everything...the tips are spread across everyone that's why it's an auto tip....

I think auto tipping is a good idea and am happy to leave this on, but I was considering taking it off for my son as I don't see that it should apply to under 18s, (he's 15) . I was a little shocked that he is charged adult rate for excursions too!

But I don't like to appear cheeky so I know I will end up leaving it on,just wanted to voice my opinion. :)

I think auto tipping is a good idea and am happy to leave this on, but I was considering taking it off for my son as I don't see that it should apply to under 18s, (he's 15) . I was a little shocked that he is charged adult rate for excursions too!

But I don't like to appear cheeky so I know I will end up leaving it on,just wanted to voice my opinion. :)

I agree and would do the same. I have no problem with the auto tips but would not tip for under 18's.

Sianjane1, in your position I would tip the going rate for 2 adults, just take the auto tip off for the 2 children.

Edited by bee-ess