Tips/charges

holidayhelen

I feel Millers hit the nail on the head there!

Yes there are some of us who have worked long and hard to save for a cruise ( our first). On booking I did not realise that I would then have to stump up another 300+ at the end for tips, my mistake for not reading the small print.

I work in a low paid job with adult who have learning difficulties and so does my daughter but she deals with severe disabilities and when a very wealthy parent, who wouldn't even think twice about tipping a waiter, comes to the house after my daughter, after a long 80+ HR week, has just saved their child from choking and looks at her face covered in scratches from then being attacked for her efforts by said child and cannot even say thank you I for one do not and feel ashamed for trying to save alittle money here and there.

Yes I will be tipping but on my terms and yes u should be added to the cost of the cruise then there would be no need for people to judge other and the discussion would be over.

Please remember that the cruise is open to all walks of life some not so well off as others. I apologise if I have offended anyone but felt I needed to explain my own situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some people feel it would be a good idea for the cruise line to add the equivalent amount of auto-gratuities to the basic fare. In this way every body would seem to be a winner. Staff get paid better and nobody feels obliged to tip anyone.

However there is a downside to this insofar as that cruise lines increased fares look uncompetitively more expensive and sales become less successful. So the cruise line decides to counter this by only putting a proportion of the notional auto-gratuities fund onto the cruise fare. They then try to claw back the deficit with a plethora of incidental charges on a whole range of things and introduce new ideas and concepts that are chargeable, visits to see the engine, auction specials etc. and announce the money spinning events every 15/20 minutes to get as many people there as possible. Then all the passengers have to look at the small print and be very careful what they spend on the cruise card in case the hidden charges on that item are excessively expensive whilst they walk round the ship complaining about the tannoy.

I think some lines have gone down this route already!

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Yes tipping on cruise ships is an anachronism. but as long as the major cruise lines (Carnival, RCI, NCL) continue to pay some of their hotel staff a pittance which is then made up by the on board tips, it will continue.

But equally the staff themselves seem to prefer this method since it normally leads to a much higher wage level than if they were paid a higher basic wage, one waiter told me he had refused promotion to a head waiter because their wages were lower than he made from tips.

So it is likely to continue and new cruisers have to appreciate that this cost needs to be factored into the cruise price, or they reduce or delete it as they see fit.

I admit that on our first auto tip cruise on Princess I did reduce ours by half, but after reading about cruise tipping especially on here, I now accept it as part of the basic price, and even tip a little extra if I feel someone has made the extra effort.

One thing I don't understand when people say they will remove Auto tips and tip their waiters and cabin steward individually - and yes of course they are fully entitled to do this - is what do those people who use Freedom Dining do about the tips for the waiters? As I understand it more people use Freedom Dining than Club on some cruises so how do those people tip the waiters - do they take money down to dinner each night? I know occasionally people ask for the same table each evening and may have the same waiters but I would think the majority have different waiters each evening.

We were on Club Dining on our recent Oceana cruise - 14 nights - and our waiters told us they would be leaving us to go to the Freedom Dining Restaurant for our second 7 nights - they apparently work on a rota. They much preferred working on Club Dining but they had no choice in the matter. They didn't say why they preferred Club; I would think they like to get to know their passengers which they are not able to do on Freedom Dining. Both sets of waiters on our cruise were excellent.

Please remember that the cruise is open to all walks of life some not so well off as others. I apologise if I have offended anyone but felt I needed to explain my own situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No need to apologise to anyone and reading the posts you will see everyone pays the tips as they see fit and rightly so

as it is their business and should you feel that you have a right to alter them. Even P&O think so ...

" We strongly believe this should remain voluntary and therefore this charge can be varied at the Reception desk at any time."

Some people may not set foot in the main dinning and eat in the other pay for outlets,it does happen, so why would they tip someone they never see?

I will not judge you or anyone else when it comes to tips , if P&O are happy and the crew seem happy with the system

( one turning down a promotion to stay on this tips system, in one of the above posts )

then I see no problem.

Just my opinion :)

Edited by kalos

One question that those who remove the auto tip and give only to their cabin staff or waiters never seem to address is, do they never spare a thought for those behind the scenes who miss out? Aren't they just as important to the success of the operation as the ones you do see i.e. the cabin staff and waiters?

To deny the behind the scene workers by removing the auto tip does, in my opinion, smack of a money saving wheeze!

Mystical. You have to appreciate that some people save a long time to pay for their cruise, and do not expect to subside the crew's wages. You also need to appreciate other people's views, just because they don't agree with you, does not make them inferior to you.

Millers....just where on earth have I said that people are inferior to me?

And those that know me, As you obviously dont, will know that I probably appreciate others views, whether I agree with them or not, more than an awful lot of people on here.

And what makes you think I dont have to save for my cruise?

Your post is totally out of order.

One question that those who remove the auto tip and give only to their cabin staff or waiters never seem to address is, do they never spare a thought for those behind the scenes who miss out? Aren't they just as important to the success of the operation as the ones you do see i.e. the cabin staff and waiters?

To deny the behind the scene workers by removing the auto tip does, in my opinion, smack of a money saving wheeze!

All other crew receive a standard wage and do not receive any of the tips unlike cabin attendants and dining crew who rely on tips to make up wages, but P&O do guarantee to make up tips if guests do not pay anything.

Edited by Jason12

All other crew receive a standard wage and do not receive any of the tips unlike cabin attendants and dining crew who rely on tips to make up wages, but P&O do guarantee to make up tips if guests do not pay anything.

I never know what to believe, but a Maitre d' assured me the auto tips also goes to the helpers.

I was just about to say that the autotips only go to the cabin steward and waiters, plus maybe a little for the maitre di't I think.

The Maitre d' also told me he is salaried, gets paid very well and gets nothing from the auto tips. He also told me passengers give him envelopes which he did not need and wished everyone paid their auto tips because it did go to the helpers who were very poorly paid. It was fairer for everyone. He also told me the company does put some money into the auto tip pot if passengers withdraw their auto tips but the amount put in by the company falls well short of the amount which would be collected if all passengers paid their auto tips.

Further to my recent posts, I always pay the auto tip, but not too happy about not being clear where and to whom it went. I have asked at reception and tried to lighten the question by, tongue in cheek, asking whether a proportion went to the captain to run his car. They didn't smile. They said it did go to others but would not tell me which categories of staff.

Now I have read the in-cabin folder and, if I remember correctly, it does broadly suggest it goes only to cabin staff and waiters but the wording wasn't totally convincing. It was probably written by someone in HQ who perhaps wouldn't be totally specific where the money went because it might raise more questions than it answers if he were.

On balance I think I would prefer to believe the word of a Maitre d' and someone in reception than some words in a cabin manual.

But who knows, I don't and would love someone to show me categoric evidence of how the auto tips are disbursed.

We always keep the automatic gratuities on and then give extra tips as we feel fit on-going for waiting staff and at the end of a cruise as we are freedom dining. E.g. the Cabin Steward and waiters we have had a lot.

Have to say that we are rethinking this.

What annoyed me last year was that the OBC we had been given was exactly what was taken off for gratuities. Why not just say that it was free gratuities ??? Did feel a bit cheated at the time .....

Won't be fooled by that one again !

There were some staff who served us who needed a personality transplant and in some ways I would have preferred to tip the ones that went over and above more and not the odd one or two miserable ones.

We would be happy to tip the staff who deserved it (to the full amount that we would have had to pay should we keep the automatic gratuities) but are becoming reluctant to pay automatic gratuities that may reward bad service.

Not sure if this makes sense.

We always keep the automatic gratuities on and then give extra tips as we feel fit on-going for waiting staff and at the end of a cruise as we are freedom dining. E.g. the Cabin Steward and waiters we have had a lot.

Have to say that we are rethinking this.

What annoyed me last year was that the OBC we had been given was exactly what was taken off for gratuities. Why not just say that it was free gratuities ??? Did feel a bit cheated at the time .....

Won't be fooled by that one again !

There were some staff who served us who needed a personality transplant and in some ways I would have preferred to tip the ones that went over and above more and not the odd one or two miserable ones.

We would be happy to tip the staff who deserved it (to the full amount that we would have had to pay should we keep the automatic gratuities) but are becoming reluctant to pay automatic gratuities that may reward bad service.

Not sure if this makes sense.

I understand where you are coming from, but there might be some great people you don't see behind the miserable ones you see. This is why, on balance, I auto tip to help those you don't see if it is correct they benefit from an auto tip. As you might have gathered I have done quite a bit of research on this and have an open mind about it. There are too many black and white opinions on here, like the tip only goes to the waiters and cabin staff without giving the evidence. I would love to know the real truth but they are not prepared to tell us. When I was at the reception desk I said I was happy to wait for someone to explain the procedure to me - like the Purser - blank look!

I understand where you are coming from, but there might be some great people you don't see behind the miserable ones you see. This is why, on balance, I auto tip to help those you don't see if it is correct they benefit from an auto tip. As you might have gathered I have done quite a bit of research on this and have an open mind about it. There are too many black and white opinions on here, like the tip only goes to the waiters and cabin staff without giving the evidence. I would love to know the real truth but they are not prepared to tell us. When I was at the reception desk I said I was happy to wait for someone to explain the procedure to me - like the Purser - blank look!

This explains who gets your tips

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/gratuity

Not proven in my reading. The website states, '100% of the amount goes directly to the crew members who serve you'. This doesn't say who serve you directly so can include those who serve you indirectly.

It then goes on to say, 'This includes waiters........'. The clue is in the word 'includes' which means it can include other members of the crew, not only those specified.

Also, if you surf the net you'll find all sorts of PO quotes about the auto tip going to.....all crew or some crew.

Still not convinced about auto tip disbursements!

IIRC it has been mentioned several times that cabin steward does not keep all the 'tips' they receive. Traditionally a portion is cascaded down to their helpers, ie the staff who load the trolleys, take stuff to and from the laundry etc etc. These were probably informal arrangements but woe betide anyone who wanted to buck the system :eek:

I imagine such sharing out of tips still occurs with auto tips.

Tip, service charge, gratuity or member reward scheme, call it what you want or split hairs but you know exactly what we are talking about here..

Yes, but those terms mean very different things, and P&O are very happy if people use them interchangeably.

A tip is an amount given freely to reward someone for service above and beyond what was expected, and is separate to their wage.

The Service Charge being charged upfront is not for exceptional service (how would you know at that point), and the recent 39% indicates that it is being used to pay the staff wages.

IIRC it has been mentioned several times that cabin steward does not keep all the 'tips' they receive. Traditionally a portion is cascaded down to their helpers, ie the staff who load the trolleys, take stuff to and from the laundry etc etc. These were probably informal arrangements but woe betide anyone who wanted to buck the system :eek:

I imagine such sharing out of tips still occurs with auto tips.

Agree.

Which is odd. Eh Dave. :) :)

Keep well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The auto tips was put in place when freedom dining was introduce and passengers don't have the same waiters every night.

Personally I would like the cruise price to automatically include the tips as many cruise lines already do.

The auto tips was put in place when freedom dining was introduce and passengers don't have the same waiters every night.

Personally I would like the cruise price to automatically include the tips as many cruise lines already do.

I agree that the tips should be included in the cruise price but as many posters have said P&O probably don't want to include it because the headline price would rise and may not look so attractive to some cruisers who either reduce the tips or remove the auto tips and then do not tip at all.

Personally I never reduce the tips but we all need to accept that some people will want to reduce their outlay for whatever reason and P&O let them do so.