Tips/charges

holidayhelen

I think we should be honest and accept that when removing the auto tips the main reason is to save money. The fact that it is so easy to fill in a form or whatever and save, for a couple, £154 on a 14 night cruise is why so many join the queue. Does that couple, who really prefer to tip face to face really hand out seventy plus quid in the little envelope? Really?

David.

This is a very emotive subject and there are likely to be many opinions. Whether to auto tip or remove them and tip those you wish to?

IMHO I leave auto tips in place and pre pay them where I can on other lines. I tip room service if it is ordered and delivered before a mandatory charge is added to the service during night time hours (which is the case on other lines).

I tip extra to those who are not included in the auto tips on other lines (drink servers in the loyalty lounges during the free cocktail hours), and the concierge who arranges things for me (speciality restaurant reservations etc).

However, my opinion is that every soul that occupies a berth in a cabin and is provided with a service (ranging from the stateroom attendant who cleans up after every person sleeping in a cabin, to the waiter staff who serve breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks at any venue) should pay tips regardless of age.

Every guest uses towels, showers or bathes, and sleeps in between sheets, produces waste that needs emptying from bins, they consume food and beverages for the duration of the cruise, so they have food delivered and use plates that need clearing, and drink from cups, glassware and handle cutlery too.

£5.50 per person per day is a bargain compared to other lines where it is more like £9.20 per day on RCI and NCL for those not in a suite, £8.86 on Celebrity and Carnival, again for those not in a suite.

On most lines there is also a 15% gratuity added to beverage purchases (not just alcohol), even 18% on some. However, some lines do include the beverage gratuity in the price so you do not see it on a receipt. Just my opinion, so don't shoot me, I am not criticising what anyone else does, that's their decision although this is Cruise Critic:D

Very well said.

We are auto tippers so just wondered what you meant, over on P&Os FB page they actually admitted the crew do know who's done what.

Out of interest who tips room service? We give £1.50 or €2 and they always seem shocked to get something, we do seem to get the same room service guy after the first order.. :)

As far as we are aware if you remove auto grats the staff are aware they have been removed

I'm with you on this one £5.50 a day is a bargain plus they don't charge for a child which most others do. We are on Ventura in August with our 8 year old grandson so we shall be leaving the autotips in place and giving a bit more here and there where we think necessary.

I think we should be honest and accept that when removing the auto tips the main reason is to save money. The fact that it is so easy to fill in a form or whatever and save, for a couple, £154 on a 14 night cruise is why so many join the queue. Does that couple, who really prefer to tip face to face really hand out seventy plus quid in the little envelope? Really?

David.

This is so often the case and one of the reasons I leave the auto-tips on. It is not as easy to see how much the cruise end total tips figure is that you are paying as it goes on daily. In this way I just think of it as part of the fare. However the cruise line can advertise the fares at a competitive rate.

Regards John

I have decided to remove the auto tips from our on board account on our next cruise. We have cruised twice since the auto tips was introduced and did pay the tips by this method plus extra in envelopes on the last night of the cruise to the cabin steward, waiters and even our wine waiter who soon got to know our drinking pattern and did not push us to buy drinks we did not really want. My reason for removing the auto tips is not to avoid paying them but I want to be sure that our steward and waiters are receiving them. I had heard that if they did not receive a good rating on the passengers' survey they did not receive the tips, if this is the case what happens to those tips? Is this why our steward asked us to fill in the survey? We have been fortunate that every cruise we have had first class stewards and waiters and completed accordingly but what if the cabin next door or the next table in the dining room gave them a negative feed back? Then we come to the problem of deciding what ratio of the £11 goes to the steward and to the waiters. At least on the old system there was some guide to the breakdown of the daily amount, hope I can find one among our papers.

I don't think we will ever reach a situation were we all agree about the correct method of tipping, as long as we appreciate the hard work carried out by the people looking after us and pay.

I have decided to remove the auto tips from our on board account on our next cruise. We have cruised twice since the auto tips was introduced and did pay the tips by this method plus extra in envelopes on the last night of the cruise to the cabin steward, waiters and even our wine waiter who soon got to know our drinking pattern and did not push us to buy drinks we did not really want. My reason for removing the auto tips is not to avoid paying them but I want to be sure that our steward and waiters are receiving them. I had heard that if they did not receive a good rating on the passengers' survey they did not receive the tips, if this is the case what happens to those tips? Is this why our steward asked us to fill in the survey? We have been fortunate that every cruise we have had first class stewards and waiters and completed accordingly but what if the cabin next door or the next table in the dining room gave them a negative feed back? Then we come to the problem of deciding what ratio of the £11 goes to the steward and to the waiters. At least on the old system there was some guide to the breakdown of the daily amount, hope I can find one among our papers.

I don't think we will ever reach a situation were we all agree about the correct method of tipping, as long as we appreciate the hard work carried out by the people looking after us and pay.

We were told by our steward last month (when my husband gave him an envelope with an extra tip because he was outstanding) that a high score on the passenger questionnaire was more important than the actual tips because they receive a "bonus" based on the scores that they receive. We have never spoken to any of the crew about tipping in the past but this person was very open and it was an enlightening conversation. They do know which cabins have changed the auto tips up or down and for any cabin that has reduced or removed the auto tip they are required to hand over any tip that is given in cash from that cabin up to the amount removed from the auto tips. I asked what would happen if he did not hand over the cash tips and he said that his contract would not be renewed for any further cruises. This was a guy who said that he has worked for P&O for 15 years because in his opinion they are a good employer and he has 2 children who he wants a better education and life for. This conversation makes me believe that the only possible reason for removing or reducing auto tips is to save money as paying in cash just means that the staff have to hand over the cash to go into the pot regardless of what the passenger thinks about their performance.

Edited by Josy1953

The Service Charge is not a tip or a gratuity, but simply a fee.

The Service Charge has increased by 39% in the last two years.

Do you honestly think that the staff have wholly benefited from that increase?

P&O use carefully chosen words with the Service Charge, saying that 100% goes to the staff. If the Service Charge is simply used for the wages bill that is true.

It is interesting that P&O do not say 100% goes to the staff in addition to their wages. If it did, then given the 39% increase the staff would be jumping for joy.

The Service Charge is not a tip or a gratuity, but simply a fee.

The Service Charge has increased by 39% in the last two years.

Do you honestly think that the staff have wholly benefited from that increase?

P&O use carefully chosen words with the Service Charge, saying that 100% goes to the staff. If the Service Charge is simply used for the wages bill that is true.

It is interesting that P&O do not say 100% goes to the staff in addition to their wages. If it did, then given the 39% increase the staff would be jumping for joy.

I agree, I think that the bonus that our steward mentioned is probably funded by the auto tips or he would be more interested in everyone paying the full tip.

This topic is going the same way as all the others concerning tipping. Toxic

The only solution is to include the 'tips' as a NONE ITEMISED part of the cruise fare.

Other cruise lines do this ;)

We were told by our steward last month (when my husband gave him an envelope with an extra tip because he was outstanding) that a high score on the passenger questionnaire was more important than the actual tips because they receive a "bonus" based on the scores that they receive. We have never spoken to any of the crew about tipping in the past but this person was very open and it was an enlightening conversation. They do know which cabins have changed the auto tips up or down and for any cabin that has reduced or removed the auto tip they are required to hand over any tip that is given in cash from that cabin up to the amount removed from the auto tips. I asked what would happen if he did not hand over the cash tips and he said that his contract would not be renewed for any further cruises. This was a guy who said that he has worked for P&O for 15 years because in his opinion they are a good employer and he has 2 children who he wants a better education and life for. This conversation makes me believe that the only possible reason for removing or reducing auto tips is to save money as paying in cash just means that the staff have to hand over the cash to go into the pot regardless of what the passenger thinks about their performance.

And I've been told the biggest bonus from the questionnaires are promotions and renewed contracts.

I've tried to keep out of this thread because it's all been said before, however, I have recently contacted P&O and they have told me in writing that staff who receive direct tips are not required to pay them back. There was no room for ambiguity in the way I directed my question or their response. Has a crew member actually specifically confirmed to anyone on this board that this happens? It gets very difficult to distinguish between fact and repeated assumption (of which I have been guilty myself). Maybe they aren't required to pay it back but declare it and have the value deducted, who knows. I think people should just do what they think is right for them, based on the information they have and their experience onboard - I don't judge that.

Edited by Florry

Has a crew member actually specifically confirmed to anyone on this board that this happens?

And who would you ask other than a senior officer, who would undoubtedly give you the same answer you have already been given.

Would anyone really be so gauche as to ask a member of staff about their remuneration?

It's now called The Service Reward Scheme by P&O

The only way to stop these discussions is included in cruise price like a few others do. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I've thought that for ages. The system of having a charge on an account that can be removed by the customer is so ridiculous that you wonder how it has survived, particularly on a British ship.

David.

Our friends from Australia are joining us in August for a cruise to Iceland, they never have to tip when at home.

Taken from the P&O Australia website e8b11effdded1ac46fc69e976e5a004f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Applies to Princess and Carnival too, but don't confuse our P&O with yours a big difference in quality.

Correct and not bad bar prices as well [emoji106] :)
Hi,ive always thought that,but looking at P&O bar menu a shot of smirnoff is £3 but is only a UK single.On Princess it is $6.25 + 15%,but it is the US equivelant of a UK double. We are on P&O next year so will have to compare across the board,but we will still have a good drink,cheers,Brian.

That is exactly what I was told as well. If you tip directly they keep what you give them and that is why I remove the auto tips and pay it myself. I do not reduce the amount. I give exactly what would have been charged.

However, I also agree that it should be part of the cruise price. Our next cruise with Fred has free grats included. I shall still give something to my cabin steward and waiters. That is my choice.

I also wish it was rolled into the cruise price. I always add it in when comparing cruise prices anyway and consider it part of the cost of my cruise. I would much rather it was paid up front - I can forget about it and I know everyone is getting their share. P&0 could still retains a relatively small percentage to be distributed on a performance related basis. If they did this, everyone would pay which is fairer on passengers - all contributing equally and I suspect it would generate a lot more for the crew than they receive currently. A small additional token tip would then be up to the individual.

Like Florry said a while back....it has all been said before. What is important (to me) is that the hard working staff get the tips they deserve. And the vast majority do deserve them.

I have only once had a cabin steward(ess) who I felt didn't deserve much of a tip, and that was on Cunard, not P &O. And that was reflected in the questionaire I completed, and not by removing the auto tip.

When I read (mainly on facebook) of the amount of some cruisers bar bills, or the moans that P &O dont do all inclusive, I feel quite saddened that those same people are also sometimes the ones who "save money" by removing the auto tips because " I have already paid a lot for my cruise" and cant afford any more.....

Nuff said.....

Mystical. You have to appreciate that some people save a long time to pay for their cruise, and do not expect to subside the crew's wages. You also need to appreciate other people's views, just because they don't agree with you, does not make them inferior to you.

This subject just goes round and round and round and all the discussion in the world won't change anything. If you don't want to pay gratuities, tips or whatever name the cruise line dress them up as book Thomson, but don't think your not paying them it's just been added into the price. On RCI, Celebrity and NCL I just prepay them with the final balance for the cruise then they don't even appear on my onboard account and I don't have to think about them again. Occasionally I will give a bit more to an individual where I think it deserved, otherwise I just get off the ship at the end of cruise and don't give it another thought. I just wish P and O would have the prepay you tips facility .