Sushi Bar fleet wide?

villauk

After the trial on Reflection and now Millie's Bo5 changing to the Sushi Bar, it appears X are rolling out sushi fleet wide? Has anyone heard which ship will be next? I'm hoping it's not Connie, have a feeling it may be Solstice (only my opinion ;)). Anyone know?

Perhaps we can keep this thread updated as each ship changes (would stop the same question being asked frequently on various threads :))?

It will probably depend on how well sales go on the two that have been changed so far, and that probably won't be determined until the new restaurants have been in place for a while. I actually don't look for it to become fleet wide based on reports of usage so far.

It will probably depend on how well sales go on the two that have been changed so far, and that probably won't be determined until the new restaurants have been in place for a while. I actually don't look for it to become fleet wide based on reports of usage so far.

I, personally, hope they do wait. However, with Bo5 never appearing to be full, it makes me wonder if they'll just go ahead regardless?

Edited by villauk

When we were on the Summit last month after she had recently come out of dry dock in March, the crêpes menu was still available, as well as "free" sushi and sashimi upstairs in the buffet.

Except that "Bistro on Five" is now "Bistro for Ten Dollars". I guess it will be gone soon enough as well as the sushi in the buffet..........

Edited by Bollinge

With Celebrity restaurants, frustratingly it is often one step forward and 2 steps back.

e.g. Bistro on 5 from $5 to $7 to $10 in a very short amount of time. Guess what? The usage dropped noticeably. Big Duh. Now, lets change it to a Sushi joint (eliminating perhaps 20-30% of the population who don't eat sushi, and better than that, let's make it easy to spend $20 pp on lunch).

e.g. Taking the most unique and satisfying restaurants on cruise ships (the Ocean Liner restaurants) and changing them to Olive Garden/Ryan's at Sea, Tuscan Grille. And find that, alas, they still can't fill the room unless they cut the price by half.

After the trial on Reflection and now Millie's Bo5 changing to the Sushi Bar, it appears X are rolling out sushi fleet wide? Has anyone heard which ship will be next? I'm hoping it's not Connie, have a feeling it may be Solstice (only my opinion ;)). Anyone know?

Perhaps we can keep this thread updated as each ship changes (would stop the same question being asked frequently on various threads :))?

Did you like Sushi on Five on Reflection? We were a bit skeptical at first but ended up loving it! Even went back again for some favorite items. It was actually convenient if you only wanted one item instead of paying a cover charge. I thought it was busier than Bistro on Five was on my previous cruises.

You won't see me at "Bait on Five" as it was called by another poster -- too much possibility of cross contamination and I'm allergic to fish. I would eat at Bistro on Five at least once a cruise, so this customer goes from once to never. Sushi was available elsewhere for those who wanted it, but now a viable embarkation day choice is gone for me. There were so many other things they could have chosen -- what about really good Greek food, as an example? Homage to the line's Greek heritage? That can be made with frozen meat, whereas sushi really ought to be made with fresh fish, so I'm told.

You won't see me at "Bait on Five" as it was called by another poster -- too much possibility of cross contamination and I'm allergic to fish. I would eat at Bistro on Five at least once a cruise, so this customer goes from once to never. Sushi was available elsewhere for those who wanted it, but now a viable embarkation day choice is gone for me. There were so many other things they could have chosen -- what about really good Greek food, as an example? Homage to the line's Greek heritage? That can be made with frozen meat, whereas sushi really ought to be made with fresh fish, so I'm told.

That's a fantastic idea! I love Greek food and rarely see it readily available on cruises.

Actually, most sushi/sashimi needs to be frozen before it is served, with only a few exceptions (e.g. tuna). The FDA requires in part that fish intended to be consumed raw must be “frozen and stored at a temperature of -20°C (-4°F) or below for a minimum of 168 hours (7 days)." This is to kill any parasites.

I am a frequent sashimi eater so that doesn't bother me, but again, there is no way I am paying MORE on a ship than what I can get on land when I forego a nice meal in another venue--already paid for--to eat there.

The "sushi" in Oceanview is only available later in the day (5:30?), so not a lunch option. Additionally, many do not use OV for dinner, eliminating Sushi as an option.

I'm not a fan of BO5. Having said that, our experience on Summit last week was quite enjoyable, mostly due to the outstanding and friendly service provided by Dian and Mariane. I'm still not a fan of paying $10 additional for a crepe or pannini, and am disappointed that the burger is no longer available.

I would visit for a light sushi/sashimi lunch, probably several times per cruise.

I'm not what you call a sushi fan but did really enjoy what I had on the reflection in March, personally I hope it does roll out to the rest of the celebrity ships as I find it a completely different option to what's on offer at the other food outlets so makes a nice change! [emoji4]

We tried Bistro on Five a couple of times when it was $5, but didn't enjoy it enough to use it when the price went up. I like sushi, but will probably not pay more on the ship for what I can readily find for a lower price at home. Bistro of Five never seemed to be busy, so I am not surprised it is changing. I don't like the idea of a la carte however. A fixed price sushi bar would have more appeal for me. Time will tell ... If they use the same technique, a reasonably priced menu is under used, so they increase the price and wonder why it is even less popular.

Sheila

• 2 weeks later...

So Silhouette is next on the list to change to Sushi on 5 (next week), according to a thread posted by someone sailing on her presently. That means Reflection, Millie and Silhouette up to now - X aren't obviously waiting to see how it goes ;).

That's too bad...two venues on some ships (-Bistro and Porch) devoted to fish. And both of them high priced.

dh is allergic to most fish and does not eat sushi, so we won't be going there..

Hoping Infinity is last to switch so we can do Bistro in Oct before the changes.,.They have really good "homemade" soups and we liked the mac and chesee, daily specials and the Cowboy,

That's too bad...two venues on some ships (-Bistro and Porch) devoted to fish. And both of them high priced.

dh is allergic to most fish and does not eat sushi, so we won't be going there..

Hoping Infinity is last to switch so we can do Bistro in Oct before the changes.,.They have really good "homemade" soups and we liked the mac and chesee, daily specials and the Cowboy,

I'm not a sushi/fish/shellfish eater either but I found plenty of tasty options to leave with a full belly [emoji4]

I will not use Bistro on 5 if it is sushi. A well rounded Bistro type menu with a good selection would do well. I always use on embarkation day. Used last month and the food was just o.k. Service was great though. Much better than being at the buffet with the crowds.

DH and I just finished a great cruise to Alaska on the Solstice this past Friday and Bistro of 5 hadn't yet changed to Sushi. I rarely saw anyone in there during the whole cruise so appeared to be wasted real estate. While I love sushi, I'm not sure they'll get enough takers to make it a viable venue...especially when there's free sushi every evening in the OVC.

Just returned from the Baltics on the Silhouette. Bistro on 5 was still not Sushi and we dined there twice. They were changing to Sushi after the next itinerary. Wish they would keep it non-sushi. Having a crepe in the afternoon was very nice. People used the venue.