Platinums want refund for weather related itinerary change

LMaxwell

After being to Coz so many times on cruises, I would pay Carnival to miss that port!!:D But really - stuff happens. We have missed ports before cause of medical emergencies, mechanical issues, or weather. We just take another cruise to hit the port we missed.:p Sooner or later we will get there! I am sure they are disappointed, but Platinum cruisers should know better! And I think $100 is generous. Most of the time we just get port taxes back.

Let's see. The issue is that Carnival is sailing a ship, that is "disabled" slightly due to another mechanical issue, and instead of getting it fixed, they are placing people on the ship, grabbing their money, and crossing their fingers that all will be ok. They missed the port, because they could not contract with a tug boat. This is not an act of God issue, but a miss management issue of Carnival.

Regardless of the contract, Carnival is failing providing the vacations the customer paid for.

Hopefully they can get a refund of their trip, and others should follow. :D

Let's see. The issue is that Carnival is sailing a ship, that is "disabled" slightly due to another mechanical issue, and instead of getting it fixed, they are placing people on the ship, grabbing their money, and crossing their fingers that all will be ok. They missed the port, because they could not contract with a tug boat. This is not an act of God issue, but a miss management issue of Carnival.

Regardless of the contract, Carnival is failing providing the vacations the customer paid for.

Let me see now, a class action law suit? That should prove interesting when the judge throws it out of court! :D

Actually, the winds at Progreso are an act of God, so there is more to it than just a thruster issue.

That aside, this family gets no sympathy from me!

Keep preaching the good word, brother! :D

Edited by gtalum

IMO..This was a major fail and missed opportunity on the parents part. They set a horrible example. Even if they were "devastated", this would have been a perfect opportunity to show their children that things will happen in life that are out of their control.

These parents should be leading by example and showing their children that you need to find the positive no matter the situation. By far, this is not the most "devastating" issue their children will encounter in their lives. A good parent strives to give their children the tools which will help them later in life when truly "devastating" situations occur.

We missed Coco Cay on our honeymoon cruise aboard the RC Majesty of the Seas. I was disappointed, but knew, even as a rookie cruiser, that the cruise line was not responsible for itinerary changes. We didn't receive any reimbursement or OBC, nor did we expect any.

People think all they have to do these days to get what they want is go to the media and whine. I hope Carnival stands their ground on this one and refuses any additional reimbursement. People need to read their cruise contracts and learn to savor sea days.

Even if this was the family's 50th cruise, they never would give them a full refund. Especially with them taking this public. If they gave in to one family, everyone would be knocking down their door for a missed port.

Almost as bad as the entitled idiots, is the tv station for entertaining such nonsense. Some of the comments are bad too. For example, one whining that some on board had a destination wedding planned on Cozumel that day. Really, really bad idea.

A hurricane which was forecast to be at 2 of the ports of call when my ship was scheduled to arrive. The Captain decided that instead of sailing into the storm on an eastern itinerary, he would do the western itinerary which had clear weather forecast. He announced his decision prior to leaving the home port.

There were many angry cruisers, and several hundred decided to leave the ship in Florida rather than go on an itinerary they did not want. This delayed the ship's sailing for a few hours as those choosing to leave had to round up their luggage.

This was the start of a B2B for me, so I got to sail the exact same itinerary 2 weeks in a row. You know what? I had fun, I didn't beach and moan about how badly I was being treated, and I didn't berate Guest Services for OBC or comps.

I didn't call ahead for a lawyer and a TV crew to meet me at the dock when the cruise ended either. But had the ship sailed directly into the hurricane, like the recent RCCL out of Bayonne ship did, I might have been raising hell. This was back in October 2014 on the Conquest.

Edited by evandbob

A waste of air time. Maybe they should be knocked down to Red status. :)

I don't think this is going to destroy the little girls life. Just people wanting something for nothing.

Take care,

Mike

No way, Platinum can keep them! lol

You all know I call it like I see it and will take Carnival to task when I think they are wrong, but in this case $100 OBC was generous and Carnival should not give these people a full refund for a weather related itinerary change.

YES, It is alright to be disappointed in missing a port. But to expect a full refund because of it? Get real...

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Family-wants-refund-after-cruise-plan-changed-380289901.html

If it would be weather related only I would agree but it's says ship was broken some technical problem? In this case I agree $100 not enough .

There was an undeniable weather issue. There are many other guests that witnessed the extreme wind and have attested to the fact. In addition, I think that anyone on that cruise who accepted the $100 OBC and is now demanding a full refund or intending on either filing a lawsuit or joining in on a class action suit is going to have an even tougher time making their case now..just sayin.

The $100 OBC seems fair for this mechanical/weather cancellation. I have missed ports in my time and I was never given any OBC. Replacement ports or another sea day was fine with me. This family needs to get over themselves. What a total waste of news.

If it would be weather related only I would agree but it's says ship was broken some technical problem? In this case I agree $100 not enough .

How do you figure? I dont know what these people paid, but they got a lot of other stuff. They got a place to sleep, food, etc. $100 is definitely fair compensation.

We're platinum, never missed a port but know Ship Happens.

Is Progressso that bad that they only stayed 45 minutes onshore? Is it something we would like? We prefer more 'local' than 'Let's cater to the American Tourist'.

You made it to platinum without experiencing the wonder of Progreso?

I like Progreso.

When we first went to Progreso it was getting one English speaking cruise ship a week and it was interesting.

Edited by mzloolue

In the article that was linked in the opening post it said that there were TWO tugs.

They would have rather risked everyone's life without a tug boat just so they get to swim with the dolphins, which you can do at any number of places in the states. I missed a stop in Tunisia a few years ago due to high winds and didn't go on tv crying about it.

The mom (adult daughter) clearly says that they and their girls were going to the dolphin excursion. I've never done this, but I can't imagine that the youngest child would even have been eligible for that, and the older child doesn't look old enough, either.

Secondly, if you read the comments under the article, there is a person who replied who was on that ship, and commented that the winds were so bad that it caused the ship to pin a tug boat against the pier. Even though they were having technical issues with this ship, it would seem that this was a legitimate weather issue.

Third, Progreso is the very definition of "more local" as compared to other port stops (or, at least it was last time I went there). We enjoy that it is not nearly as commercialized as the other ports.

some people! and to drop that you are platinum? really? who cares! so does she want everyone who isn't platinum to have to stay on and the special platinum people get off? shaking my head!

and on another note - that was soooooo a teachable moment to the kiddos about sometimes things happen that are beyond your control and you have to adjust and go with it. But instead, their little darlings won't ever know about disappointments in life and the ability to cope and move on! Geez!!!

and I have said it before and will say it again.....so many people never get the opportunity to go anywhere! so be thankful that you are capable of going on vacation at all and move on!

Vicki

No one has pointed out that the $100 OBC was per person! That family got a great OBC for missing one port.

And, yes the article did say that even with the tug the winds were too high to make the stop. People just need to get over themselves. I am amazed that the TV station put them on the air. They should have done some checking themselves before airing idiots during the news!