Boarding arrival times

glennbtn

It was certainly not meant to be rude to you, gadabout - hence the very mild phrase and the winky icon;) - but I am defending my stance that the fact I don't like being called by my first name by a stranger and also when I am the customer does not mean I am thinking I am better than them.

Calling a customer by their first names can sound patronising too - like these cold calls we get selling PPIs. It is all a question of etiquette and is bound to be a different for different nationalities eg it is a great sin for the French and the Germans to address people by their first names whereas I would imagine the Americans are into first names straight away.

On this note, how do the staff on the American lines address their guests?

Edited by Scriv

It was certainly not meant to be rude to you, gadabout - hence the very mild phrase and the winky icon;) - but I am defending my stance that the fact I don't like being called by my first name by a stranger and also when I am the customer does not mean I am thinking I am better than them.

Calling a customer by their first names can sound patronising too - like these cold calls we get selling PPIs. It is all a question of etiquette and is bound to be a different for different nationalities eg it is a great sin for the French and the Germans to address people by their first names whereas I would imagine the Americans are into first names straight away.

On this note, how do the staff on the American lines address their guests?

Hi, had posted something similar but pressed the wrong button and lost it all !

My view is that everyone is different and we all have different traditions. I once gave a Cabin Steward a hug on the last night (infront of hubby ;-)) and he looked horrified and uncomfortable. Learned a lesson and won't do it again!

Do I like to be called Madam - if used as if I was a customer why not? On OV2I was called by my first name from the beginning of the meal and it felt too familiar. I would like to think that the way we treat the staff is more important ......... On our last cruise the waiter was very much addressing us formally until the last night when he showed us photos of his family and shared some personal stuff. I think he could better then .... felt like a friend then :)

I work in a school. Would I call parents by their first name - no way, I was always taught by my own parents that this would be disrespectful and to use Mr and Mrs was a sign of respect. Is this the right or wrong way to think - that's a long debate -- its just my way. Even elderly neighbours I have known all of my life are still Mr and Mrs.

The staff on ships have similar issues and have different traditions from us

We're all different and no one is right or wrong ..... good staff pick up the vibes.

PS On the US cruise lines we have never been called by our Christian names other than the Cabin Steward who we introduced ourselves to using those names. Everyone else used Mr and Mrs ....

Sorry am rambling now ..

If I call a member of staff such as the room steward by his first name why can't he call me by mine?

Interestingly on Princess Cruises you have the option of being called by your first name, Mr or Mrs etc X, or Sir/madam. You enter the information on the website under your preferences and get a cruise card suitably encoded so as any crew member who sees it may conform to your requested protocol.

Regards John

Interestingly on Princess Cruises you have the option of being called by your first name, Mr or Mrs etc X, or Sir/madam. You enter the information on the website under your preferences and get a cruise card suitably encoded so as any crew member who sees it may conform to your requested protocol.

Regards John

I never realised this, what a great idea. Everyone has different preferences and that's fine, I respect all views on this subject, I certainly don't think snobbery is involved it's just generally the accepted British way - I agree when I've had customer facing roles I have observed the same traditions. What I do is when I meet the steward and waiters I greet them and introduce myself with my first name - it's up to them then what they feel comfortable with, some use it, some don't.

I never realised this, what a great idea. Everyone has different preferences and that's fine, I respect all views on this subject, I certainly don't think snobbery is involved it's just generally the accepted British way - I agree when I've had customer facing roles I have observed the same traditions. What I do is when I meet the steward and waiters I greet them and introduce myself with my first name - it's up to them then what they feel comfortable with, some use it, some don't.

That's what I was trying to say, but without the rambling :)

Very good post Presto, not rambling at all. I once stepped out of my cabin and asked a steward if he would finish doing up my zip I couldn't reach and my husband was at a concert. the steward was very embarrassed. Won't do that again either.

I've been wondering why P&O do this, they must know that it's unpopular with their customers. I can only come up with cost! Staggered boarding means that have to have less check in staff, even if they aren't actually P&O staff they still need paying. Also later boardings mean that many people won't/can't have lunch on board, lunch I might add that customers have paid for, thus saving money. Another example of penny pinching?

And who, checking in at 15.30, is going to head for the lunch buffet when they have early dining?? - just a thought

Very good post Presto, not rambling at all. I once stepped out of my cabin and asked a steward if he would finish doing up my zip I couldn't reach and my husband was at a concert. the steward was very embarrassed. Won't do that again either.

What a great chat up line :D

I take it the zip was at the front :eek:

What a great chat up line :D

I take it the zip was at the front :eek:

And some people think being called by your first name is being over familiar.

Edited by whoops

Just wondered how this thread that started off discussing Boarding arrival times, is now discussing the salutation used by the staff on board to guests?:confused:

Because the boarding times stuff was getting really boring and it has been covered so many times since last Autumn :)

That's hilarious tokyo :D. I'm on the same cruise, we got a 2pm time slot also. We are on A deck and thought we'd be much later so presently surprised by 2pm.

We are on this cruise and are also on A deck with a 2pm boarding time.

Just wondered how this thread that started off discussing Boarding arrival times, is now discussing the salutation used by the staff on board to guests?:confused:

Stop posting what I am thinking.

I am getting worried.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Think it changed course when we started discussing how and where to give feedback and the wording on questionnaires and mentioned the question on salutations as an example where it is hard to feel the options adequately reflect our opinions.

And yes, I guess we were getting bored.

Sorry to lead you astray, guys...

Edited by Scriv

Just back from Greek Islands cruise on Ventura. The boarding time for our C deck cabin was 3.30pm. Had a stroll round Southampton, leisurely lunch in Weatherspoons and got to the passenger terminal at about 3.15 after dropping our car with CPS. Very few people in the terminal, we were given a card, and at exactly 3.30pm our card was called. Talking to the book-in lady (sorry dont know her correct job-title), she told me that 115 people were still to be processed through. As we walked to security, I heard the call "anyone else still waiting to board please go to the check in desks".

We were in our cabin by 3.50pm, cases already waiting for us. Lifeboat drill was 4.15pm.

Think it changed course when we started discussing how and where to give feedback and the wording on questionnaires and mentioned the question on salutations as an example where it is hard to feel the options adequately reflect our opinions.

And yes, I guess we were getting bored.

Sorry to lead you astray, guys...

These replies made me laugh out loud - am worried about the zip issue though :-)

It is good to see that though we are the P&O board we still have a sense of humour and aren't all stuffy :D:)

Just back from Greek Islands cruise on Ventura. The boarding time for our C deck cabin was 3.30pm. Had a stroll round Southampton, leisurely lunch in Weatherspoons and got to the passenger terminal at about 3.15 after dropping our car with CPS. Very few people in the terminal, we were given a card, and at exactly 3.30pm our card was called. Talking to the book-in lady (sorry dont know her correct job-title), she told me that 115 people were still to be processed through. As we walked to security, I heard the call "anyone else still waiting to board please go to the check in desks".

We were in our cabin by 3.50pm, cases already waiting for us. Lifeboat drill was 4.15pm.

Now this one just annoys me again --- in a cabin at 3.50pm and muster drill at 4.15pm when you've even paid lots extra for a deluxe cabin ----- grrrrrr

Am off to sit on my hands again :(

Now this one just annoys me again --- in a cabin at 3.50pm and muster drill at 4.15pm when you've even paid lots extra for a deluxe cabin ----- grrrrrr

Am off to sit on my hands again :(

Someone has to be last on whichever system is used. Why should that annoy anyone. Th poster was not bothered.

Someone has to be last on whichever system is used. Why should that annoy anyone. Th poster was not bothered.

I would be as we book well over 15 months in advance ...:(

Love my cruises

Love the ships

Love my holidays

Love the first day and the build up to sailaway - think it is so special

I don't care if I'm not fed

I don't care if I am not in my cabin

I just want to be on the ship and all of the excitement building up !

I'd pay extra to get on early and am happy to pay extra for drinks etc

Just like a little kid really ------- imagine Christmas Day and you can only look at your presents and enjoy them until about 11 pm ...

We're all different, so hopefully P&O can find a way to keep us all happy in some way

:)

Quite right Dai, we weren't bothered - someone has to be last, I didn't report our experience to complain, only to say how it was for us.

It just meant I couldn't unpack before drill, and gossiping with the neighbours over a glass of wine on the balcony during the sailaway meant it didn't get done till next day!

Quite right Dai, we weren't bothered - someone has to be last, I didn't report our experience to complain, only to say how it was for us.

It just meant I couldn't unpack before drill, and gossiping with the neighbours over a glass of wine on the balcony during the sailaway meant it didn't get done till next day!

As I said - ok for you but not us - each to their own.

Just feel like we no longer have the choice about what we do on embarkation day which to us IS a big deal. Not everyone will get this, but please understand that for some of us it is an issue.

As I said - ok for you but not us - each to their own.

Just feel like we no longer have the choice about what we do on embarkation day which to us IS a big deal. Not everyone will get this, but please understand that for some of us it is an issue.

Presto2, it's a big issue for us too along with the restrictions on saver fares. Together they mean we are unlikely to cruise P&O from Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if they should board 6.30 diners earlier than 8.30? Hee hee, just a thought. My reasoning is that if I get a 15.30 checkin and muster is at 4.30, then I don't have time to unpack until after muster. So by the time I have unpacked (30 minutes max) it is now 5.30 (ish) For me it's fine, still got time for a leisurely shower and in the bar by 7pm and dinner at 8.30.

For the others who eat at 6.30 (I haven't eaten at that time since I was 6), it's a rush I will admit.