Does anybody ever bring a gift for their room steward?

tdavis0990

I saw it suggested on another post to bring a small gift for your room steward. I thought it was a nice idea, I mean who doesn't like gifts?

Replies to that post were surprisingly negative, "They want your money, not a gift" "WHY would you bring a gift??" etc. :confused::(

Anyway, does anybody ever do this? If so what do you give??

Just so its clear, I would NEVER tip less because I gave a gift, in fact I usually tip more than recommended.

the only time we got our room steward a gift was when we were chatting and he mentioned that he was looking for a certain type of doll for his daughter. while we were browsing the market in one port we actually saw what he was looking for so we bought it and gave it to the guy. he was quite pleased.

If you could see the quarters where they sleep and keep their personal possessions you would understand why so many opt to give cash.

This! If you think our cabins are tiny, theirs are even smaller. And shared. They have very little room to begin with, so to add more clutter to that is not fair to them.

If you feel you MUST give something other than money, consider a phone card (though I would ensure that it covers ANY nation if I bought it beforehand - or better yet wait until a port stop and get one that would definitely cover their home country.

I extra tip, and leave excellent feedback in the survey. I also give "something" that I must drop due to weight restrictions. I have given books, a flag, souvenirs. Things like that.

Edited by Pipo

Some times I bring on some sort of prepackaged treat that couldn't be found onboard or easily a port of call. This last cruise it was a large bag of Ghirardelli chocolates.

Thought process is... Even if they don't like them/eat them. I'm sure they could still be used as some type of barter.

I'm sure cash isn't always king below deck.

Edited by chandom

We always usually bring them over-sized stuffed animals.

If you aren't being sarcastic, PLEASE reconsider that. Literally their SHARED cabins have a bed and bunk and a very narrow pathway to walk between that and a small desk/shelf area. If both are in at the same time, they have to coordinate walking. It's that narrow. There is NO room for "oversized stuffed animals". Odds are those would end up in the trash.

We always usually bring them over-sized stuffed animals.

LOL.

We had a reeally great steward in a family suite for a 29 day stint. He got a great extra tip.

He was so happy he gave me an "over-sized stuffed animals"

It was a finding Nemo toy and was given to him by a another guest.

He had no room - or want of it! So rather then put it in the incinderator where most gifts go he gave it away.

Funny.

I will sometimes ask if they want something at the shops - like Soy milk etc. But never a gift that I think they will like.

So on the subject of gift giving - Pictures of Dead Presidents (in what ever amount you want) is best!

Raina

If you aren't being sarcastic, PLEASE reconsider that. Literally their SHARED cabins have a bed and bunk and a very narrow pathway to walk between that and a small desk/shelf area. If both are in at the same time, they have to coordinate walking. It's that narrow. There is NO room for "oversized stuffed animals". Odds are those would end up in the trash.

Sarcasm.:D:D:D

I gave our cabin steward a bag of Valentine's chocolates on our February cruise this year. He was extremely touched by the gesture and even asked to give me a hug. He was genuinely grateful. He even had a little tear in his eye. I was just glad that I could make his day a little better. Many of the crew are likely very lonely for their home and family. It is good to show them a little humanity.

I have asked if they wanted to keep books/magazines we have finished and unopened bottles of wine. they always accept. This is in addition to any cash tip we were giving, never in lieu of. Not really a pre-planned gift though I guess.

I saw it suggested on another post to bring a small gift for your room steward. I thought it was a nice idea, I mean who doesn't like gifts?

Replies to that post were surprisingly negative, "They want your money, not a gift" "WHY would you bring a gift??" etc. :confused::(

Anyway, does anybody ever do this? If so what do you give??

Just so its clear, I would NEVER tip less because I gave a gift, in fact I usually tip more than recommended.

They want $$$.