What would you do with a rainy day in Bermuda?

First let me say that I figure a rainy day on a cruise ship docked in Bermuda is a pretty amazing way to spend a day :), but I'm wondering what YOU would do with it. I know that there are tons of things to do onboard, and I realize that the weather is variable and beach time might still be a possibility, but what about a day of just plain old steady rain? If staying onboard weren't an option, where would you go and what would you do? Lunch at a particular restaurant? Teatime at a specific resort? Guide me: O Experienced Ones!

What would I do? Well, we had a full day of rain on our Bermuda cruise about a week ago. We were HOPING it would clear up and so we headed to St. George but cut out the beach part of our planned trip. We figured we could tour Fort St. Catherine's if it rained a little.

So, it didn't clear up, we had no umbrellas or plastic capes and got completely soaked. Walked about a mile and a half trying to find a good place to eat that wasn't packed to the gills, no such luck. Other passengers were caught off guard too since the day prior, they had predicted rain and we had none. (Weather predictions on the ship were consistently incorrect.)

We found a taxi, took it back to Hamilton where we were poured on while waiting for the ferry. Thank God we got on the first one. Got to Dockyard, did the walk to the ship and stood in absolutely pouring rain to get back onboard. Not a fun day. :mad: Don't do this.

What would I do instead? Stay onboard, get a massage and read a book. :)

We went to the Crystal Cave !

We had hoped to ride the bus to the far tip at St. George's , but it stopped at a hotel .

IMG_5287_zpswozmdvoj.jpg

After waiting awhile we noticed that some storm clouds were gathering so we headed back to the Crystal Caves .

IMG_5282-001_zpsqmvnfs80.jpg

Pat had wanted to go here so we began the descent

IMG_5296-001_zpsqr4l8vy3.jpg

The cave was beautiful and constantly dripped water

DSC02383_zpsyjlcsgft.jpg

We moved along a narrow walkway that required periodic ducking

4a1072d1-4361-474c-9f9a-84862d405c3e_zps0gkotzco.jpg

The guide shown his flashlight on the base of a pillar at the bottom of the crystal clear water . It's about 40' deep !

DSC02379_zpswof9jwlk.jpg

Heres a video clip:

This was taken from our thread Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015 which can be found at this link :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2213388

Definitely go to Crystal Caves and then cross the street to The Original Swizzle Inn for their classic rum swizzles and some lunch. I'll come with you if you want. Would love to go back to the caves and I'm definitely going back to The Swizzle Inn (Swagger Out).

You can take a round trip bus ride on the local bus line line 7 in one direction and line 8 in the other. While you won't get off, you'll see a lot of Bermuda while staying dry. You can buy two tokens at the visitor's information bureau.

Definitely go to Crystal Caves and then cross the street to The Original Swizzle Inn for their classic rum swizzles and some lunch. I'll come with you if you want. Would love to go back to the caves and I'm definitely going back to The Swizzle Inn (Swagger Out).

Good morning:)......I 2nd the Swizzle Inn recommendation:D

As for the caves? I have been there once and although it was interesting,

I will never go back.....the pictures are nice but that walk back up at

the end?:eek:...our guide called it Cardiac Hill...it fit the name:rolleyes:

I honestly thought I was going to collapse when I got to the top. I had

to sit down and breathe before moving again.

Well, my husband is saying we've got to hit the road--the ship is calling our names, but before we go, I want to thank everyone for the suggestions! We've been to Crystal Cave, but definitely, the Swizzle Inn is a possibility :D. Maybe I'll see you there, Cruising Chick!

Bon Voyage~~~

We've been to Bermuda at least 10 times but always find something to do if it rains. The caves, Swizzle Inn, the Somerset Country Squire for the fish chowder, ducking in the stores in Hamilton.

Would never cruise to Bermuda to spend the day on a ship. In fact, would probably never cruise anywhere and be docked and stay on the ship, but we are pretty selective on itinerary so that has never happened.

You can take a round trip bus ride on the local bus line line 7 in one direction and line 8 in the other. While you won't get off, you'll see a lot of Bermuda while staying dry. You can buy two tokens at the visitor's information bureau.

This is what we did and it was a lot of fun. We saw the island and also had some nice chats with some of the local passengers on the bus. We did stop at Swizzle Inn which is on the bus route for a little "refreshment" I would definitely not stay on the ship unless I had already been to Bermuda previously and seen the sights. :)

Hamilton has it all. My favorite is the museum inside Town Hall. I didn't get there this year because our cruise left Bermuda a day early. I went there the past 2 years. They have some interesting exhibits. It was free. It has AC and a lift. For shopping I love Bluck's. Even if you don't want to buy anything, it has so many beautiful items. Along Front St., there are good stores. Calypso, Archie Brown, etc. Stroll under the covered portico.

Climb a lighthouse. It's dry inside. Been to Crystal Caverns twice. Nice once. Going to the beach may sound odd. You're going to be wet, go swimming. Dockyard has indoor stores. Maritime is now a National Museum. It's worth a visit. Don't let the rain stop you from enjoying Bermuda.