Med cruises lack imagination?

chromered7

We did what sounds like the identical itinerary on Silver Wind in February 2014. Whilst I agree that the infrastructure was not ideal, it was a very interesting cruise. We saw and experienced things that we would never normally get to see - even if some were a little disturbing.

Everyone we spoke to on board enjoyed the cruise. All were well travelled and were well aware of what to expect.

I do like the idea of Islay and the distilleries - but I fear I might never find my way back to the ship.

They could make it an overnight with a ceilidh. Tartan nights :)

They could make it an overnight with a ceilidh. Tartan nights :)

That sounds like one fab potential Azamazing Evening.

Slightly ashamed to say I know the Med far better than my own country. A cruise around the Scottish islands would be wonderful

I would second that, I would love a Scottish island cruise.

Ashamed to admit I have only been to Scotland once and I too can navigate my way around a large chunk on Europe.

Personally I would also like to see some more Northern European cruises which do not visit St Petersburg. I would also like to do some Scandinavia ports.

Based on my recent experience, I doubt that there would be many West Africa takers. This spring I took a Silversea cruise from Cape Town to Barcelona. The ship had been in Southern Africa for the winter, and this repositioning cruise took it back to the Med. There were stops in 11 West African countries. However, none of these were places where there had been recent unrest or where cases of Ebola had ben reported. The trip was a real deal with a low base fare and a 25% single supplement. My overall cost on a daily basis was less than any of the four Azamara cruises I have purchased. Yet, even with this great fare, Silversea only managed to book 177 passengers on a ship with a capacity of 296. This did result in great service from the crew of 222.

In talking to people from Silversea on the cruise, I found out why this lack of interest. Some of the reasons: (1) Many of the countries are predominately Muslim, and this scares many Westerners away. (2) Many Westerners are concerned about diseases like Ebola, yellow fever, and malaria. You are required to have the yellow fever vaccine if the ship stops on Ghana (as most do), and there are those who are leery of this vaccine because of numerous possible side effects. (3) All the ports are industrial container ports with no facilities for cruise passengers. Often, they are some distance from what there is to see. (4) Tourist infrastructure is not good. Many of the busses and vans would not be allowed on the road in the U.S. or Europe. Whether the air conditioning would function was about 50-50. Guides are often not very good and/or difficult to understand. (5) Conditions are less than ideal. Many people live in poverty, which is hard to see day after day. Infrastructure is pretty bad unless you enjoy being in traffic jams on pot-holed roads and seeing crumbling buildings. (6) The scenery is not all that pretty, and the countries are strewn with garbage. (7) What passes for a museum often contains items that most of us would probably throw in the dumpster.

Most savvy travelers would learn much of this with a little research or from talking with former travelers to these places. They would not get a vibe that this part of the world is real exciting to visit.

Also, look at the number of cruise ships that visit these ports. Most of them average only 4 to 8 a year.

All this being said, did I find the cruise interesting? Yes. Would I go to this part of the world again? Possibly to Namibia, South Africa, or Morocco, but not to the other places. And I would not highly recommend others to visit when there are so many better places.

Sorry, but I must say that I am disappointed in your list of reasons for not traveling and experiencing other cultures. We travel to better understand the world, other peoples and societies. Having grown up in post-WWII Europe, traveled the world for 30 years in the US Navy, and served in embassies in formerly "communist" countries, and gone on safaris in Africa and tours across Asia, the list smacks of Marie Antoinette's credited comment "Let them eat cake." Saying "eeew" about other human societies from the comfort of a north American home is one of the problem we have created for ourselves. Talk to people - we have found that all humans have similar interests, objectives and care for their families.

Travel and Experience!

One more comment on topic.

As I said, I was raised in Europe when my father was assigned to help KLM with new aircraft in 1949. I can remember people still living in bombed out basements and experiencing very primitive conditions traveling. I have been all around the Med, including Tripoli and hope to get to Casablanca soon (more ships should stop there during trans-Atlantics).

There is no way one can experience all the option each Med port has to offer in one lifetime. Each port and country is unique. I have found it very difficult to get an appreciation for the local culture during a 6-8 hour port stop. Returning after several years offers the opportunity to get off the beaten "tourist" path. I have been to Dubrovnik at least 25 times - used it as my "home away from home" while serving in the embassy in Belgrade. I know it better than my home town. There is always something new and interesting in the old town or in the nearby region to experience.

It seems that about three or four years ago, Azamara had two seven-night itineraries where the cruise started in Seville itself, during Semana Santa or the April Festival, and ended in Barcelona. To my knowledge, Azamara since that time has not offered an itinerary featuring Seville (rather than Cadiz).

It seems that about three or four years ago, Azamara had two seven-night itineraries where the cruise started in Seville itself, during Semana Santa or the April Festival, and ended in Barcelona. To my knowledge, Azamara since that time has not offered an itinerary featuring Seville (rather than Cadiz).

In fact, there was supposed to be a Quest docking in Seville eight days ago--on June 4--with Captain Carl doing his thing on the final approach through the drawbridge. But an electrical issue with one of the propellor motors delayed departure from Gibraltar so we missed the necessary tide and had to dock in Cadiz instead.

We are booked next year on Quest and docking in Huelva during Holy Week for the Semana Santa in Seville. Back in 2013 we went into the city with Cpt. Carl doing his manoeuvre through the drawbridge.

However, using Seville as an Embarkation port was a nightmare as the flights were hopeless.

Edited by cinnamon

We are booked next year on Quest and docking in Huelva during Holy Week for the Semana Santa in Seville. Back in 2013 we went into the city with Cpt. Carl doing his manoeuvre through the drawbridge.

However, using Seville as an Embarkation port was a nightmare as the flights were hopeless.

Three airlines fly direct to Seville from the UK - BA, Easyjet and Ryanair. We had a wonderful few days there during the April fair. It was fantastic seeing everyone in their traditional costumes and all the horse drawn carriages.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Three airlines fly direct to Seville from the UK - BA, Easyjet and Ryanair. We had a wonderful few days there during the April fair. It was fantastic seeing everyone in their traditional costumes and all the horse drawn carriages.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do BA now fly direct to Seville? Thought you had to go via Madrid.

Great news if true

Gatwick to Seville every day except Saturday :)

That explains it....Hazel thinks Gatwick is a complete non starter! When she thinks BA she only ever thinks from Heathrow.

Think she would prefer to fly via Madrid rather than go to Gatwick. :)

That explains it....Hazel thinks Gatwick is a complete non starter! When she thinks BA she only ever thinks from Heathrow.

Think she would prefer to fly via Madrid rather than go to Gatwick. :)

Now be fair, am also happy to consider London City. But of course you are right, as you know I go to Gatwick kicking and screaming and my next flight to Seville will be from LHR via Madrid :D:D

Thanks for the info though Ann.

Despite the ill-informed pooh-poohing of my suggestion of West Africa as a destination (above) I still think it is a good fit for Azamara.

With regard to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the World Health Organisation lifted its Public Health Emergency of International Concern with regard in March 2016. There have been a handful of isolated cases since, but these are well contained.

Other countries in West Africa have NOT been affected by Ebola, for example Ghana, Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Sao Tome, Angola, Namibia - all very interesting places to visit.

If we are looking at alternative Med destinations, I would add Saranda in Albania (great for visiting the wonderful archaeological site of Butrinti), Skopelos in Greece and Genoa and Bari in Italy.

I noticed that last July when we were staying in Kas, Turkey that one of the Azamara ships was docked there (I couldn't see which one). But that is a wonderful town and I hope Azamara will revisit.

We have visited Kas twice on Azamara, I agree it is a great place and a boat trip to Bilal's beach is well recommended. Both times we were on the Turquoise Coast cruise, which was so good the first time we had to repeat it.

We embarked in Seville in 2013 cruise, Our flights were fine. We flew out of Gatwick on Monarch, which I assume Azamara had chartered, as everyone went to the ship. Our flight back was on BA. I wish Azamara would consider more dedicated charter flights, like P&O, Fred Olsen, etc.

Azamara chartered a Monarch aircraft to take us back to Heathrow after our TA. In 2013. Monarch landed us at Gatwick! Many people had a total nightmare getting home. Azamara's compensation was poor. I love the cruises but the shoreside operation is as bad as all the RCCL companies.

What about stopping in Gaeta Italy. A small town with access to Minturno, Pompeii, Sperlonga, Forima, you could also do the . It is between Rome and Naples. Plus a beach!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYxy96NuSDQl1w_nAZ26P92yGbw8xy62Lcvo9duyweMsIbzJtIXA

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXHC4Lsjb44AsrkfTJEKK69OHzoZOAc0C5rBOzAbM5ZH6OLo3z6A

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUA4uTp968cCZ3xvUlS-SmmaWfmZv15dbDe0FQix5mgcxjl34I

Edited by geocruiser

Crystal is going to Gaeta in September 2017. I was looking at that for 2018 since they will have Sorrento

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can tell you that it is a beautiful town. The best pizza I ever ate was there. There is also lots of history there too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaeta

Edited by geocruiser