Captains jail term confirmed

Shogun

Hi All

Not sure if US media got this

but Italian court has up held 16 years for Captain Schettino's sentence today,

6 months per live lost is still not enough. But still has one last appeal court he can go to.

yours Shogun

I'm a little behind, what happen?

It was the captain who ran the Costa Concordia aground while showing of for his girl friend (apparently).

The story I heard was that they hadn't had the muster drill yet (?), so no one knew what to do...including a lot of the crew.

I still have my T-shirt that says, in Italian, "Schettino, get back on that ship!" That sleaze bag of a Captain should have been in prison a long time ago....but Italian justice moves very slow.

Hank

Hi All

Not sure if US media got this

but Italian court has up held 16 years for Captain Schettino's sentence today,

6 months per live lost is still not enough. But still has one last appeal court he can go to.

yours Shogun

Thanks for the info.

People act as if spending 16 years in prison is a walk in the park. I'm guessing that few of you have actually spent a minute inside a prison. I'm not going to defend a single thing that that coward did. But take a look at your local newspapers and see what type of sentences drunk drivers get when they wipe out an entire famil., Especially if it is a first offense. Typical sentences range in the single digits. 16 years is not a light sentence.

Edited by JimmyVWine

JimmyVWine,

If you don't think 16 years is a light sentence. How about the

DEAD PASSENGERS that got a DEATH SENTENCE!!!!!!

16 years is a JOKE!!! If I was his judge he'd never see the light of day.

Tony

Killers get far fewer years every day, and their victims are just as DEAD!!!

I cannot recall the last time that I saw a 15+ year sentence for a first time offending drunk driver. 16 years is well within the normal range of sentences for people who caused fatalities. Will 16 years bring anyone back to life? No. But neither would 20. Or 25. Or 50. Judges make difficult decisions with people's lives every day. This is a tough one for sure.

Have zero knowledge of Italian Maritime Law, so it's difficult to comment on the sentence. However, in addition to charges of Negligent Homocide, or Italian equivalent he was also responsible for the performance of his crew.

With knowledge of Canadian & UK Maritime Laws, the potential charges and subsequent penalties in this case are extensive - both jail time and fines.

I cannot recall the last time that I saw a 15+ year sentence for a first time offending drunk driver. 16 years is well within the normal range of sentences for people who caused fatalities. Will 16 years bring anyone back to life? No. But neither would 20. Or 25. Or 50. Judges make difficult decisions with people's lives every day. This is a tough one for sure.

You have your way of thinking and I have mind. You will never convince me that 16 years is enough time in jail for getting 32 people killed. Oh by the way he was so lucky to slip and fall into the lifeboat. He should get 10 years for abandoning the ship.

Tony

6342566900_1dea99f2fd.jpg

That sleeze ball deserved the full sentence. What he did to all of those people is truly tragic and beyond sad.

BTW, I took the above picture 3 months before she sank while we were docked alongside her in Civitavecchia. She was a beautiful ship.....

Bob

The justice system in Italy is a joke.Just read about the Kercher case,the convicted killer is being released out and about already.A convicted mafioso in our village got 1 year house arrest,which means he gets to live with his wife and kids and still goes out for exercise,cigarettes etc,cheers,Brian.

To be fair though, he only got 10 years for causing 32 people to die. The other 6 years were for other offences.

Taken from the link on first page:

Prosecutors had asked for a 26-year sentence, but the court gave Schettino ten years for multiple manslaughter, five years for causing the shipwreck, one year for abandoning the passengers, and one month for providing false information to port authorities.