Rare bird onboard -- Allure OTS

While heading to the Park Cafe today for a roast beef sandwich I was certain I heard the call of a rare woodpecker.

Heading back out this afternoon with my binoculars and will stay on a bench until I spot him !

:D

Tom

I thought the bird sounds were piped in.......I guess you're kidding.

I was actually joking with Cheryl about it earlier - what others might think if I staked out a spot there for birdwatching. :D

Tom

So how long before somebody complains there is a peeping tom in central park? :eek:

Having said that, since the plants are real, I suppose there is an off chance they could attract real wildlife. Can't remember if there are screens over that area or not.

So how long before somebody complains there is a peeping tom in central park? :eek:

Having said that, since the plants are real, I suppose there is an off chance they could attract real wildlife. Can't remember if there are screens over that area or not.

Peeping Tom ... lol !

Yep, it's open air. We're in Cozumel right now, so I'm sure some tropical bird could conceivably find its way into the Central Park area.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

I was actually joking with Cheryl about it earlier - what others might think if I staked out a spot there for birdwatching. :D

Tom

You need to do a Candid Camera. Stake out the park with your binoculars and have Cheryl video the expressions of people passing by watching you. ;)

You need to do a Candid Camera. Stake out the park with your binoculars and have Cheryl video the expressions of people passing by watching you. ;)

That'd be rich! Just call me Allen :)

Tom

Peeping Tom ... lol !

Yep, it's open air. We're in Cozumel right now, so I'm sure some tropical bird could conceivably find its way into the Central Park area.

Somewhere , while at sea in the vicinity of Cozumel, a carrier pigeon landed on the railing while we were eating outside. A Bermuda long tail landed another time and a parakeet was hitching a ride when we left Bermuda. Could be any number of birds in Central Park but not sure about a woodpecker.:D

Peeping Tom ... lol !

Have sailed Allure eight times and have seen butterflies, yellow finches from the islands and one other breed of bird that escapes me right now in Central Park when we have been out to sea in the middle of nowhere. Piped in bird sounds, yes, live birds and butterflies at sea, also yes!....K.O.:)

Peeping Tom ... lol !

I've seen many birds on the ship hitching a ride to their next destination. I too am an avid birdwatcher. On our Panama Canal cruise there was a juvenile boobie that landed on the Promenade deck and couldn't figure out how to get back to sea. I hope a crew member picked it up and tossed it into the wind. When people spot rare birds on land, it's usually because it hitched a ride on a ship.

Have sailed Allure eight times and have seen butterflies, yellow finches from the islands and one other breed of bird that escapes me right now in Central Park when we have been out to sea in the middle of nowhere. Piped in bird sounds, yes, live birds and butterflies at sea, also yes!....K.O.:)

We saw a small yellow bird on a number of occasions in the trees near the Trellis bar.

Our oasis cruise was delayed because some sort of burrowing owl that lives in Florida tried to burrow into the mini golf turf. The fish and wildlife Dept had to come get it off the ship. It even made the news in FL. :)

We also saw a gecko this March in Central Park sunning himself.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I've seen many birds on the ship hitching a ride to their next destination. I too am an avid birdwatcher. On our Panama Canal cruise there was a juvenile boobie that landed on the Promenade deck and couldn't figure out how to get back to sea. ......

There are lots of mature boobies on the pool deck.:D

I actually overheard this exact conversation in earnest while at sea on Allure a couple of weeks ago. I was nomming on a roast beef sandwich on a sea day, and a group of ladies sitting nearby were talking about the birds and wondering what they eat and how they survive on a ship while we're at sea.

One of them said she thought she saw an employee filling up bird feeders.