What ships do muster/lifeboat drills inside??

Our Allure cruise muster drill was inside.

When the Navigator was still sailing out of Galveston, we had the remains of a Hurricane that crossed Mexico and was drenching Galveston. The storm came from the starboard side and we on that side were asked instead to go to a dining room. The port side was sheltered by the ship and were outside.

Liberty had the muster drill inside this Spring 2016. I wasn't too pleased, as we weren't show our station and such. In an emergency, everyone isn't going to the MDR for instructions - rather the the vessels that can provide an escape if necessary.

Why would anyone care unless the cruise is in the winter or somewhere cold?

There are always some muster stations inside and some outside on almost all cruises.

It depends on where you cabin is and its associated muster station.

Good grief.

JC

Allure and Jewel were the two I recall being inside.

Our Allure muster station was guest services:D

Jewel we were the entrance to Schooner bar and everyone met at the muster sign which was by the seating in the bar. Everyone then got unceremoniously told to stand up and line up along the wall entering the bar. (Right at the entrance connecting schooner to atrium). This left little room for those turning up trying to get from atrium into the bar area, and the other muster stations in the lounge, specialty restaurants etc that all had to walk through our entrance to get to their stations.

Why they didn't check people as they entered the area and point them to the correct location I will never know.

I think that was the worst musters in terms of communication and people understanding where they needed to be ever. Blocking off everyone else didn't help either:rolleyes:

Edited by Spurschick

There are always some muster stations inside and some outside on almost all cruises.

Good grief.

JC

This Exactly !!!!

Liberty had the muster drill inside this Spring 2016. I wasn't too pleased, as we weren't show our station and such. In an emergency, everyone isn't going to the MDR for instructions - rather the the vessels that can provide an escape if necessary.

WE DID liberty 4/24/16 AND IT WAS OUTSIDE

Good grief.

JC

Well, it DOES matter to some people. Maybe not enough to make you change your mind about the cruise, but enough to be prepared for the heat, humidity, and long standing time if mustering outside in the summer. I'm surprised they don't have more people collapse during muster - especially older people

Side question - what do they do if one of Florida's notorious summer afternoon lightning storms comes along at muster time? Make everybody stand outside on a metal deck floating in the water?

But you're right - the muster station can be inside or outside depending on the ship and where your cabin is. I don't know if anybody has a magic decoder ring to tell you where your station will be for any given cabin on any given ship for any given sailing though.

Well, it DOES matter to some people. Maybe not enough to make you change your mind about the cruise, but enough to be prepared for the heat, humidity, and long standing time if mustering outside in the summer. I'm surprised they don't have more people collapse during muster - especially older people

Side question - what do they do if one of Florida's notorious summer afternoon lightning storms comes along at muster time? Make everybody stand outside on a metal deck floating in the water?

But you're right - the muster station can be inside or outside depending on the ship and where your cabin is. I don't know if anybody has a magic decoder ring to tell you where your station will be for any given cabin on any given ship for any given sailing though.

As soon as you get your sea pass check where your muster station is, then go and find it before visiting the windjammer.

If you think there maybe a problem speak to CS if you don't mind queuing. generally you will have gained access to your cabin before the drill, have a look on the cabin door, there is a map and directions to your station.

The wait is generally for stragglers who don't want to stand on deck, I think most of the inside venues don't seem to have as many late arrivals.

I read a few recent post saying Liberty had indoor lifeboat drills, none of my RCCL cruise have including recent Liberty and Navigator in 2014/2015?

If you look at my cruise history, Jewel in 2014 was my first inside muster. (Jewel 2012) was outside. Oasis, much to my Chagrin this past April was inside in the Studio.

Good grief.

JC

ahh, Baltimore in January. Outside muster drill. good times. the shovel we stashed in the back of the car came in handy when we got back......

And there are always latecomers!

actually once there weren't any and not only did it start on time, it was a few minutes early AND it lasted less than 20 minutes. GR out of Baltimore( but not that January departure heheheh)

When I cruised on Liberty of the Seas last summer, my station was outside. My brothers were inside though. We had rooms in different areas of the ship so that's why. So to the people arguing over having inside vs outside muster drills--- they do both! :)

I would have hated to be inside though, I was happy to have fresh air as it was getting hot and way over crowded. Because of the stragglers we were there for about 45 minutes, the handheld device was not working so possibly even longer. I just remember it being a nightmare. :mad:

Hoping AoS goes smoother next month!:)

As soon as you get your sea pass check where your muster station is, then go and find it before visiting the windjammer.

If you think there maybe a problem speak to CS if you don't mind queuing. generally you will have gained access to your cabin before the drill, have a look on the cabin door, there is a map and directions to your station.

The wait is generally for stragglers who don't want to stand on deck, I think most of the inside venues don't seem to have as many late arrivals.

This ^^

Or if you have issues contact special needs prior to your sailing and you will be accommodated in a muster station meeting your needs. Of course, having said that, there must be a legitimate reason, not just I don't like my muster station.

We have done both inside and outside muster drills. Both have pros and cons, and has been mentioned a ship can have both so just listing ships doesn't really help.

Good grief.

JC

Haven't done the winter/cold muster drill, but it can be pretty uncomfortable on a hot/humid day. But I'm with you, really. The muster stations are located where you will need to be in the event of an evacuation. For some stations that may be inside; for others it will be outside.

Good grief.

JC

I care. Good question.