Do you think they'll ever leave a DAM ship in the Caribean in the summer?

SS Exeter

Was just writing about how much I love the Westerdam and it go me thinking - would HAL please leave at least one Dam ship here in South Florida for the summer. We can only vacation for one week at a time right now - but we can do trips every two or three months. Right about now I start wishing there was a HAL ship to sail on down here. Oh well, have to wait for the Konigsdam in November - life's tuff.:rolleyes:

Was just writing about how much I love the Westerdam and it go me thinking - would HAL please leave at least one Dam ship here in South Florida for the summer. We can only vacation for one week at a time right now - but we can do trips every two or three months. Right about now I start wishing there was a HAL ship to sail on down here. Oh well, have to wait for the Konigsdam in November - life's tuff.:rolleyes:

I think HAL stays out of the Caribbean in the Summer months due to the potential of hurricanes. JMO The larger cruise ships like the Oasis and Allure are or were too big to maneuver the PC but now the new locks are open that may change, again JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No,

Years ago the Zuiderdam sailed the Caribbean during the summer and was pulled.

Too hot, stormy, humid. We were on the Zuiderdam in June in the Caribbean and the major obstacle was surviving the muster drill in 90 degree heat and 70% humidity :eek:

The larger cruise ships like the Oasis and Allure are or were too big to maneuver the PC but now the new locks are open that may change, again JMO.
Not a full transit, as they are 15 m too high to pass under the Bridge of the Americas.

Edited by jtl513

Not likely: HAL's core demographic is not heavy on school-age children - whose families are otherwise amply served: on the high end by Disney, in the mid range by Royal Caribbean, and on the bargain end by NCL and Carnival. There is no need, or even a likely place, for a line like HAL, or for that matter Celebrity, to attempt to compete in that humid market.

My first HAL cruises were Caribbean sailings on Maasdam and Zuidedam in the June-July time frame of 2002/3 - which was shortly after 9/11 when ships did not sail full and few people wanted to fly, and before cruising as a family vacation really took off. Since then, HAL seems to have left the Caribbean summer market to others.

The per diems for Europe and Alaska are a fair amount higher, so HAL takes their ships where the money is.

I suppose if things became more unstable in the Med, perhaps HAL would leave a ship in the Caribbean in the summer.

Thanks CB. This makes sense to me. I didn't think it was because of hurricanes - as other cruiselines are in the Caribbean at that time. But, yes I understand that HAL can charge more for Europe & Alaska.

And, yet, hope springs eternal in a young girls heart! Perhaps - someday....;)

Edited by SS Exeter
spelling

We did a summer cruise out of San Juan and let me tell you it was very, very hot in the islands. What if a HAL ship had a/c problems? I am totally avoiding the Carib as I have seen enough of the islands and of course, now there is the mosquito problem.

Yep, they go where the money is.

Each year it seems HAL, Princess, and Celebrity are leaving the Caribbean earlier and earlier.

We have no desire to take a Summer Caribbean cruise, but do wish some ships would stay until the end of May.

OK, which do you shorten? Europe or Alaska? Cruise lines think there is benefits to being in Europe in April, and Alaska in early May.

There's a reason you can get rooms in the Caribbean for 65% off in the summer - it's too stinking hot! Throw in the threat of hurricanes and the popularity of Alaskan and Med cruises, and I think you've got your answer.

There's a reason you can get rooms in the Caribbean for 65% off in the summer - it's too stinking hot! Throw in the threat of hurricanes and the popularity of Alaskan and Med cruises, and I think you've got your answer.

Guess it's all in the definition of "stinking hot" but generally speaking the Caribbean, at least the Eastern Caribbean, runs 77 to 87F year around. It'll be 94F and will feel like 104F with the humidity here in San Antonio today so temperatures in the 80's sounds pretty nice. :D I remember when we did our March Panama Canal cruise fellow passengers were complaining about the heat and humidity and my wife and I were like "what heat?" so some of it is what you're used to. Of course if you're dealing with even 80's in a cabin and maybe not the best AC in the world then it could be pretty uncomfortable or even miserable.

We sailed HALships summertter summer in gthe Carib b ean fcor years and loved it. People say they pulled ships because of hurricanes bgt the fact is they get a much higher perr diems ffor same c\ship, same cabin in Canada/NE,Europ and Alaska. As usually, it's about the$$..:)

i.

Edited by sail7seas

We sqailed HAL ships in the Caribbean summer after summer and love it. HAL used to put their newest ships there for year.

The same ship, same cabin gbets high per diem on Canada/NE itineraries. Europe AND Alask. It is not about avoiding hufrfricanes. It is about $$.

No,

... and the major obstacle was surviving the muster drill in 90 degree heat and 70% humidity :eek:

You mean "going outside?" ;)

Seriously though, this is the first year in a while that Princess didn’t have a ship in Port Everglades in the summer. I assume that the poster who said that the ships follow the money was correct. Royal Caribbean and Carnival sail out of Florida year round, but they've got many more ships.

You mean "going outside?" ;)

Seriously though, this is the first year in a while that Princess didn’t have a ship in Port Everglades in the summer. I assume that the poster who said that the ships follow the money was correct. Royal Caribbean and Carnival sail out of Florida year round, but they've got many more ships.

That is what the beach, ocean andd swimming pools are for....... not to mention air conditioning. I loved e very cruise we did summer in the Caribbean.

Edited by sail7seas

We live in west-central Florida, and every day from June through late September we have mid-day temps around 93-95 and humidity close to that number. That's why we head to the Caribbean. In July in St. Maarten, the mid-day temp is around 85 and the continuous trade winds keep the humidity much lower. Yes, of course you can get badly sun-burnt, even in the water, but the "feels-like" temperature rarely gets close to 87-88. But, as others have said, it all depends on what you are used to. If you live in the northern tier of the US or in Canada, yes, 85 degrees (30 C) will feel very hot, especially if your cabin AC is not functioning.

We live in west-central Florida, and every day from June through late September we have mid-day temps around 93-95 and humidity close to that number. That's why we head to the Caribbean. In July in St. Maarten, the mid-day temp is around 85 and the continuous trade winds keep the humidity much lower. Yes, of course you can get badly sun-burnt, even in the water, but the "feels-like" temperature rarely gets close to 87-88. But, as others have said, it all depends on what you are used to. If you live in the northern tier of the US or in Canada, yes, 85 degrees (30 C) will feel very hot, especially if your cabin AC is not functioning.

Might add that it's not a whole lot cooler in the Med during the summer than in the Caribbean yet summer is high season in the Med. Now we've been to Santorini, Greece four times in the last three years and it's always been pleasant. Typically it's been in the high 70's to mid 80's but last year in June, during an early season heatwave that hit much of Southern Europe, it was 100F.

Personally I think HAL's decision is based more on revenues than weather. The larger Carnival Corporation maintains at least some presence in the Caribbean year around with a number of Carnival Cruise Line ships sailing pretty much all summer long. Carnival Corporation probably has a pretty good idea how much the Caribbean market can bear during the summer and they can do better with HAL in other parts of the world.

Edited by Randyk47