Are multi-port usb chargers banned

1 hour ago, captainannoyed! said:

Reporting back to the thread on this.  I just boarded with the euro to us adapter with the USB ports I posted about.  No problems with security, had it in my carry on not trying to hide or disguise it in any way.  I can’t guarantee consistency, but that’s my update.

Thanks because I just bought one of these. 

I bought this one instead of the one recommended by @Sea Dog only because I saw it on the Apple site so I wanted to try what they sold. I  got it at Amazon for less money there. I’ll let you know how it works. It was the only way to plug in our iPad (and newer versions of iPhone) into a usb.

image.thumb.jpeg.e050dddcf5a51eb1555288697b67fb18.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Yes, It seems very clear to me what they mean.

I agree. The language seems to clearly state- No extension cords and nothing that adds additional A/C outlets to the room. adding USB ports doesn't seem to be an issue.

Adding A/C outlets is what is creating the power overload problems. When you add A/C outlets, guests are plugging in more devices concurrently than the A/C power system in the room is capable of supporting. 

Edited by donsullivan
  • Like 3

I think

royal are.more concerned with these type adaptors. Granted this is for british plugs. Its where you have multiple outlets from.one socket. These are banned in my work (all military bases) in the uk and most insurance companies here in UK will not cover fires caused by this type of outlet..they heat up and are a fire risk.

The single plug with multiple usb outlets should be fine. 

download.webp

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2024 at 8:20 PM, smokeybandit said:

It's be quite impractical to try to add outlets to every cabin due to their modular nature.

Plus, it's easy to have enough outlets. Just buy a european adapter.

I sailed on the Celebrity Summit (introduced in 2001) last year that had been through a full-refit, including all cabins. It had an ample amount of power outlets, more than some new ships even! So it is definitely possible to do, just requires capital expenditures into freshening up older ships' cabins which RCI seems averse at doing. If their sister brand can do it, so can they.

Edited by tntornadox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tntornadox said:

I sailed on the Celebrity Summit (introduced in 2001) last year that had been through a full-refit, including all cabins. It had an ample amount of power outlets, more than some new ships even! So it is definitely possible to do, just requires capital expenditures into freshening up older ships' cabins which RCI seems averse at doing. If their sister brand can do it, so can they.

They already did, they added an outlet and USB Plugs by the beds on Serenade for the world cruise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tntornadox said:

Post Covid Celebrity halted doing the full retrofits like they did with Summit and planned to do with other ships. 

2 hours ago, captainannoyed! said:

Reporting back to the thread on this.  I just boarded with the euro to us adapter with the USB ports I posted about.  No problems with security, had it in my carry on not trying to hide or disguise it in any way.  I can’t guarantee consistency, but that’s my update.

Glad to hear. Appreciate the information...

On 9/19/2024 at 7:42 AM, Sea Dog said:

But this would be correct?IMG_0080.thumb.jpeg.24d3497bd8abe6e71a2bbec11b23958f.jpeg

I brought two of these onto Navigator in backpack yesterday no problem. One for me and one for my friends cabin. I also brought a multi port usb adapter on without issue. I think this new wording is only confusing what is allowed. I do t think there has been a material change.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I brought two of these onto Navigator in backpack yesterday no problem. One for me and one for my friends cabin. I also brought a multi port usb adapter on without issue. I think this new wording is only confusing what is allowed. I do t think there has been a material change.

Yup because it is a single PLUG 🔌 good to go 👍🏻

• Like 1

Just boarded the Serenade in Tampa. They snagged it. They're serious.

On 9/19/2024 at 10:21 AM, RobInMN said:

Yes. Lots of people have brought many different devices in the past just fine.

This is a brand new change in the last 2-3 days. So any experience prior to this has no relevance on what people will experience now. We will have to wait and get feed back from people boarding from now on.

All we know is what the new wording says now. Nothing with multiple plugs will be allowed, whether it has a cord or not. We'll have to see exactly how it's being interpreted by security and how strictly it's enforced.

Well, we are boarding Sunday and I'm taking my euro adapter. I'll come back to the thread and let you know what happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, hammo said:

My wife needs a small fan by her bed and  in the past we have brought a small extension cord as the fan lead does not reach a power pont . If we cant bring this now will the cabin steward provide one ?

I can’t answer that but you can buy small USB fans. I have seen them on sale at Target and Walmart.  

14 minutes ago, hammo said:

My wife needs a small fan by her bed and  in the past we have brought an small extension cord as the fan lead does not reach a power pont . If we cant bring this now will the cabin steward provide one ?

Contact the special needs department NOW before sailing. Then, the item you need will be obtained and it will either be in your cabin or the housekeeping dept will bring it during the evening meal. I know we canNOT bring extension cords with this new guideline. 

And yes I agree with the past posters, it would be so nice if whenever any corporation changes the "rule" they would tell the publice exactly what is acceptable instead of making people wonder and maybe bring the wrong thing. This will probably be like the irons and steamers back in the day. People tried. Some didn't get caught and others did. We will have to see after a 30 day run what happens. By my next cruise, things should be all smoothed out.  I am counting on y'all to figure things out for all of us coming on the sailings after you. (By the way, thank you!) 

• Like 1

Thanks Sandy Toes - we have never had an issue in the past ( 25+ cruises on several lines , diamond on rccl ) and my wife needs the fan several times during the night as she heats up and it doesnt reach a power point so Ive always packed a single point extesion cord and just roll it up during the day . I cant seem to find the special needs part on the website to request one pre cruise  ? No fan would mean no more cruising for us . ( I can checkin now it seems but cant see a special needs request form anywhere ?) 

14 hours ago, hammo said:

My wife needs a small fan by her bed and  in the past we have brought an small extension cord as the fan lead does not reach a power pont . If we cant bring this now will the cabin steward provide one ?

I own this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013BOC6VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  It's battery operated and produces a really nice breeze that I guarantee will work for your wife too

1 minute ago, SportsFanatic said:

Actually, all cruise ships are banning item 

I sure hope not !

We just boarded the Celebrity Eclipse. They had no problem with our two power strips. And … the butler brought us an extension cord. 

— Don