Holland America Line Privileges

qsuzi

It kind of sounds like a high cost ebates program. For those not familiar, you shop thru the ebates link to your store or travel provider. I get a percentage of cash back. Marriott is sometimes 10%. Usually 2.5 or 5%. You earn cash back on travelocity type of sites, clothing, Amazon, kitchen stores. They just mail me cash back check Every few month.

http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=flYtlNqvroq2TCTnYFkUjw%3D%3D

Ebates is free to join. It might give you some spending money. Not going to pay for a trip.

One of the reasons I posted it is because when we were pitched the program I instinctively wanted to see what people were saying about it online before I signed up. I had a few hours in port one day to do research on my phone while I had signal. I basically only found this message board with a few posts. Very few people were talking about it with first-hand knowledge. Such a dearth of objective information led me to want to contribute what I could for others who would inevitably want to know what the deal is.

I am glad to help :)

One of the reasons I posted it is because when we were pitched the program I instinctively wanted to see what people were saying about it online before I signed up. I had a few hours in port one day to do research on my phone while I had signal. I basically only found this message board with a few posts. Very few people were talking about it with first-hand knowledge. Such a dearth of objective information led me to want to contribute what I could for others who would inevitably want to know what the deal is.

Thanks for explaining it to us..

Guess if you go away every year to land based resorts/hotels it’s worth it, but the $1995 fee to join plus $99 a year IMO is kind of high..

One would have to take quite a few trips to make that amount up. This almost sounds like the time-shares many tried to sell us in the 60’s & 70’s.. I would rather be on a ship any day..My Sister-in-law bought a time share in Mexico & only used it for a couple of years until they & their kids got tired of having to go at the same time every year..Don't know if they were able to sell it, but they are now deceased & I have not asked the kids what happened to it..

Thanks for explaining it to us..

Guess if you go away every year to land based resorts/hotels it’s worth it, but the $1995 fee to join plus $99 a year IMO is kind of high..

There are multiple 'companies' using this, or very similar, approach. A friend recommended a travel agency affiliated with the Army Morale. Welfare, and Recreation (MWR). This company 'sells' a 'certificate' for $2000. You pay $500 down with monthly payments. Once the certificate is paid for, you can then cash it in for face value with this company to pay for a cruise. According to complaints with the BBB, etc, it's very difficult to get the cruises you want and they are often much cheaper through the cruise lines or other travel agencies.

There are at least four of these 'companies' all of which operate out of the same building in Scottsdale, Az.

It amazes me that reputable companies like Holland allow these scampsters on-board. But, then, the Army MWR is also affiliated with them as well as Sears.

It sure sounds like them.. Carnival Vacation Club was the old name ..

There are some old threads on Cruise Critic. You can use 'search' or just google them. According to these threads they have changed their name. There are three/four of these scammers, all located at the same address in Scottsdale AZ.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/RCI+Cruise+and+Resort+Vacations/@33.6274965,-111.9222007,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x872b743bf0c5494f:0xd2cbdfd48b0169e3!8m2!3d33.6277793!4d-111.9218444

Thanks very much, Dave, for your articulate, thorough, and helpful post above. I will certainly avoid these people on the ship. Is it tacky? Yes. But is it any tackier than the art auctions, port shopping ambassadors with their kick backs, jewelry stores and their marketing "come-ons", or the spa sales spiels disguised as "health" presentations? I will just say "no" and move on. My thanks to all who have informed us about this latest attempt to separate the targets (us) from their money.

SCAMMERS is right! How can HAL endorse such shenanigans? Is wine and cheese really worth a stressful sales pitch:confused:

Guess there wouldn't be such sales forums if poor suckers weren't aboard!

Me......you will find in the spa getting a facial:D

Thanks very much, Dave, for your articulate, thorough, and helpful post above. I will certainly avoid these people on the ship. Is it tacky? Yes. But is it any tackier than the art auctions, port shopping ambassadors with their kick backs, jewelry stores and their marketing "come-ons", or the spa sales spiels disguised as "health" presentations? I will just say "no" and move on. My thanks to all who have informed us about this latest attempt to separate the targets (us) from their money.

Amen Mom! As they say, "there's a sucker born every minute"!;)

nThhank you ffor sharing ytyhe info with us.

What happ ens if a ccouple buys in, bgandbecomes comitteddc gto fcurutgreew c harges?. One dies or becomes too diabled to traVFCEL?

I

Edited by sail7seas

...Is it tacky? Yes. But is it any tackier than the art auctions, port shopping ambassadors with their kick backs, jewelry stores and their marketing "come-ons", or the spa sales spiels disguised as "health" presentations?...

I agree--they all diminish the quality of the HAL brand. I suppose one could argue that they might help keep fares down, but I do resent the amount of public space onboard that these "events" often occupy.

I sincerely hope they do not close this thread because it will allow others to make a better informed decision when they are pitched this onboard. HAL's decision to allow this product to be pitched is disheartening.

Edited by qsuzi

I guess HAL endorses if we are lucky enough to sail with them we can at least sit and listen to their crappy sails pitches at every corner.....WOW, I feel priviledged!

It could be.worse....they could come a knockin' at our cabin doors to deliver sales piches.

What a disappointment that HAL promotes this scam on their ships. We had to sit through a Marriott time share 'presentation' (not our choice for sure), and I use that term loosely, and this has the same tone. Makes me wonder if I want to sail HAL in the future. Anyone aware of other non-Carnival lines offering the same 'incentive' program? Are all Carnival brands touting the same scheme?

nThhank you ffor sharing ytyhe info with us.

What happ ens if a ccouple buys in, bgandbecomes comitteddc gto fcurutgreew c harges?. One dies or becomes too diabled to traVFCEL?

I

I don't KNOW, but given the rather sleazy nature of the shoe thing, I would bet you'd be out the money. Use it or lose it, no refunds.