I need Florida advice - Tampa to FLL?

Hello Floridians :D (Bob? John-La-La? Anyone please chime in...) please offer me some good advice....

I'm thinking about booking a S2S disembarking Rhapsody in Tampa,

and boarding Harmony in PE same day Jan7 around 1-2pm!!!

Question... is if it's even worth attempting travelling from Tampa to FLL that morning? Am I nuts even thinking about this?

So, Jan 7.... What's my risk for fog (I still remember the Brilliance delay last year)? Prob the safest bet would be grabbing a car at Avis (I see Avis opens at 8am whereas the other rental agencies open a 9am on Sat) and driving the 4 hours ... but is this doable or just too crazy risky?

If you decide to do it, I would be first in the self-assist line, and take a cab to Avis at the Embassy Suites, don't wait for their shuttle. You could drop the car at Avis at the Hyatt Pier 66 in Ft. Lauderdale.

Edited by clarea

We drove from about 1 hour north of Orlando to Miami last year, easy easy drive, about 5 hours with a few stops on the way. Great road system in Florida, make sure you pay for the tolls ahead with the car rental and get the extra insurance sine your only reacting the one day it is worth it if you run into a problem.

Doable, but I agree with Bob, you want to pick the car up at 8 sharp, and you are looking at a full-tank drive of about 4 hours. So, you could be there as early as 12-12:30PM. That said, there have to be easier side 2 side cruises.

JC

If you decide to do it, I would be first in the self-assist line, and take a cab to Avis at the Embassy Suites, don't wait for their shuttle. You could drop the car at Avis at the Hyatt Pier 66 in Ft. Lauderdale.

thx for quick reply/advice as always Bob. :)

Rather than Hyatt, I was even thinking Hollywood airport then taxi... so you're saying I'm not nuts? ;)

yes... self-disembark and cab to Avis, be there right at 8am.

Leave latest 8:30am and get to FLL 12:30pm?

Drop off car, etc and get cab, arrive at pier 1-1:30?

Does the above make sense? Have you heard of anyone else who has done this?

Doable, but I agree with Bob, you want to pick the car up at 8 sharp, and you are looking at a full-tank drive of about 4 hours. So, you could be there as early as 12-12:30PM. That said, there have to be easier side 2 side cruises.

JC

thank you for your advice :) ....

there is in fact an easier S2S (Freedom) but the Rhapsody price & itinerary for a holiday sailing are excellent and I'd like to take advantage of it if possible . Of course if the risk is horrible I don't wish to consider it... what about fog in early Jan?

thx for quick reply/advice as always Bob. :)

Rather than Hyatt, I was even thinking Hollywood airport then taxi... so you're saying I'm not nuts? ;)

yes... self-disembark and cab to Avis, be there right at 8am.

Leave latest 8:30am and get to FLL 12:30pm?

Drop off car, etc and get cab, arrive at pier 1-1:30?

Does the above make sense? Have you heard of anyone else who has done this?

I don't think you are nuts, but you don't have much time to spare for any delays. Note that the Avis at the Embassy Suites can be slow at times. The airport return might be faster than at the Hyatt, but you are a bit farther away from the port, so it's probably a push.

I don't think you are nuts, but you don't have much time to spare for any delays. Note that the Avis at the Embassy Suites can be slow at times. The airport return might be faster than at the Hyatt, but you are a bit farther away from the port, so it's probably a push.

yep, very little leeway for delays. Thx again Bob :)

Hello Floridians :D (Bob? John-La-La? Anyone please chime in...) please offer me some good advice....

I'm thinking about booking a S2S disembarking Rhapsody in Tampa,

and boarding Harmony in PE same day Jan7 around 1-2pm!!!

Question... is if it's even worth attempting travelling from Tampa to FLL that morning? Am I nuts even thinking about this?

So, Jan 7.... What's my risk for fog (I still remember the Brilliance delay last year)? Prob the safest bet would be grabbing a car at Avis (I see Avis opens at 8am whereas the other rental agencies open a 9am on Sat) and driving the 4 hours ... but is this doable or just too crazy risky?

I am doing that..........but second departure is on the NEXT day. :eek:

January is prime fog time in the Tampa Bay area. Factor in car pick-up time, drive time, car drop off time, and transportation to port, this is cutting it awfully close. If it were me, I wouldn't do it.

Good thing is, you can make this drive in about 3.5 hours. You can safely cruise at about 10 over on Alligator Alley and not worry about getting pulled over.

Hertz at least used to bring the car to the port of Tampa. Not sure if this is still the case but they do still list Port of Tampa as a rental location opening at 7:30 am on Saturdays. For returning in Fort Lauderdale, with Hertz you have the option of the Crowne Plaza near the port (they have a shuttle to the port) or the airport (15$ cab to the port). We usually drop our luggage at the port with the rental car and then return the car at the airport (hate waiting for shuttles when the cruise ship is ready and waiting for us :D).

We have done the opposite drive (disembarking in Fort Lauderdale) and were on board the ship before rooms were ready (before 1pm) in Tampa.

-jani

A traffic accident on the road could "do" you in. The flight isn't a bad idea but again a delay could do the same. I think MM has the right idea with the cruise departure on the next day.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We thought about doing the opposite, leave FLL and head to Tampa, but decided we didn't need the stress.
I am doing that..........but second departure is on the NEXT day. :eek:

Ah!... yes, no problem next day at all....

but possible problems & stress same day!! :p What were you thinking John... drive or fly?

I'm really tempted to give it a go. I think the real issue is not the drive or flight, it's the unknown of a fog or some other type of disembarkation delay.

I'd have to do a "live" thread that day if I do this so all of you can follow along as I speed down the highway lol :D

Hertz at least used to bring the car to the port of Tampa. Not sure if this is still the case but they do still list Port of Tampa as a rental location opening at 7:30 am on Saturdays. For returning in Fort Lauderdale, with Hertz you have the option of the Crowne Plaza near the port (they have a shuttle to the port) or the airport (15$ cab to the port). We usually drop our luggage at the port with the rental car and then return the car at the airport (hate waiting for shuttles when the cruise ship is ready and waiting for us :D).

We have done the opposite drive (disembarking in Fort Lauderdale) and were on board the ship before rooms were ready (before 1pm) in Tampa.

-jani

Excellent info, thank you. :)

(p.s. like our "location" in your header lol :D)

Ooooh... one more thought....

If I book a one-way flight using Air2sea (10:20am), will they cover me if Rhapsody has delayed disembark due to fog or anything else?

I don't think Air2Sea covers you if you can't arrive to the airport on time.

Ah!... yes, no problem next day at all....

but possible problems & stress same day!! :p What were you thinking John... drive or fly?

I'm really tempted to give it a go. I think the real issue is not the drive or flight, it's the unknown of a fog or some other type of disembarkation delay.

I'd have to do a "live" thread that day if I do this so all of you can follow along as I speed down the highway lol :D

We would have driven it in a rental. I'm sure we would have been one of first off the Serenade, we are in the RS, and our Tampa cruise was Brilliance TA. That would appear to be easier than what you are doing since fog is not an issue for our arrival in Ft Lauderdale

FWIW, I have left Enchantment in PC and boarded Legend in PE same day. That was easy enough, but our car was in the PC garage. So no rental issues.

That would not have been the case in PE, I plan on renting since we are on for three weeks. Should be cheaper than parking

Edited by John&LaLa

January is prime fog time in the Tampa Bay area.

yep, I think this may be my biggest fear factor, not so much the drive or getting to FLL.

A traffic accident on the road could "do" you in. The flight isn't a bad idea but again a delay could do the same. I think MM has the right idea with the cruise departure on the next day.

yep again, too bad the timing for this particular set of cruises doesn't have the one day in between else it would be a no brainer for me... I'd do it.

We did the opposite in March 2016; disembarked from Navigator and had to catch a 6 pm flight from Tampa. We thought 8 hours would be more than enough.

But **** happens; we had a man overboard situation on the last night on Navigator and were off ship 3 hours late. We got our rental at FLL airport around noon. In the end we had barely 20 mins to spare when we arrived to Tampa airport. Did not have time to stop to refuel the car. Luckily no road accidents or major traffic jams on the way.

That was scary but we made it. However, I would not want to do it again. Way too stressful!

Don't forget to become a member of whatever car rental you choose. It should put you in a Special line of customers, and be somewhat faster. We have found it helpful. Usually have to join the club, get the membership number, and then rent online. Free club. Good luck and happy travels whatever you do!