NCL and Dimed

zcritic

It is very easy to avoid by going around and if they try to coax you over, just say no thank you.

I was referencing 4774papa comments. And how he said it was irritating. You can't just read a couple of post and take things out of context?

If people would get to using common sense things would be so much easier and less complicated.

I was referencing 4774papa comments. And how he said it was irritating. You can't just read a couple of post and take things out of context?

If people would get to using common sense things would be so much easier and less complicated.

The photographer's backup, as I will call it, happens quite a bit on NCL. Not all the time, but more frequently that not.

The backup is created by NCL setting up a queue with posts and large rope dividers hanging there. Most of the time, you cannot, I say, CANNOT get around the queue less you try running over or elbowing several persons ahead of you.

The only way out is either wait for the photographer to take the photo or for the persons ahead of you to make a decision and decline the photo. The process doesn't usually work that swiftly.

My solution on occasion has been to step over the hanging ropes, which sometimes elicits a negative cry from one of the crew standing around with their thumb in their ear.

I said it was an irritation. An irritation is still a relatively minor issue, but one that could easily be corrected by NCL. We don't have this problem with Celebrity.

We still take NCL cruises when the itinerary and price are right.

It is very easy to avoid by going around and if they try to coax you over, just say no thank you.

If there is a long line it may not be possible to just go around it! Lots of people just wait for their turn to get off the ship and just say no to the photographers so it's not okay to pass the whole line.

Bottom line is that you control what you pay for the cruise. We prefer things done the way they are on NCL and of course other lines are doing very very similar. We don't drink, don't gamble, do most of our own excursions....we don't have to end up paying for things we don't want anyway. BTW, this upcoming 14 day on the Dawn is our 9th NCL cruise and we have had a wonderful time each and every time. We have never ever been surprised by an unexpected charge, not once. Their suite perks and their Platinum tier benefits are the best in the industry, btw.

I have to say the same. My last cruise, check out bill was under $40. :D

Suite perks, yeah.

Loyalty program? Not so much. Take a look at RCCL.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

NCL's Latitude's program is a bit of a joke.

We are diamond on RCL.

The only good thing on the list( chefs choice is a few little sandwiches, choice of beverage is coke vs Diet Coke, one can, please!) is the diamond lounge for cocktails. We use suites on RCL so have the concierge lounge instead. Both programs suck, but NCL s is, indeed, suckier.

We are diamond on RCL.

The only good thing on the list( chefs choice is a few little sandwiches, choice of beverage is coke vs Diet Coke, one can, please!) is the diamond lounge for cocktails. We use suites on RCL so have the concierge lounge instead. Both programs suck, but NCL s is, indeed, suckier.

Not that loyalty programs are my motivator for booking a cruise but being a member of 5 cruise programs, I find RCI and Celebrity to be, by far, the best programs....especially since the 2 lines give reciprocity. The balcony discounts, free drinks every night from 5-8:30 and 24/7 free cappuccinos are a really nice touch. I can see how, to others, that may not be a big deal though.

Edited by Aquahound

I was agreeing with you.

I was agreeing with you.

Gotcha I looked at it different.

It is amazing what little things are made too look much of a bigger issue than need be.

If a person is responsible getting a group of people to an excursion, then they have a couple of choices. Communicate that to NCL and line up earlier!

I don't remember the people taking pictures that close to the exits on the cruises I've been on. We have walked past them many times!

My son is currently touring in Germany, and he is being charged to use public toilets. THAT is an example of nickle and diming - when you are being forced to pay for something you can't very well do without. I've never seen anything similar on NCL.

Hey, that is a golden idea. Card scanners on the toilets! NCL would have a new and predictable revenue stream (HA!). You and the others could go on defending your favorite cruise line! It would be at least 50 pages of nuttiness on the NCL boards!:eek:

Edited by jingle5616

The photographer's backup, as I will call it, happens quite a bit on NCL. Not all the time, but more frequently that not.

The backup is created by NCL setting up a queue with posts and large rope dividers hanging there. Most of the time, you cannot, I say, CANNOT get around the queue less you try running over or elbowing several persons ahead of you.

The only way out is either wait for the photographer to take the photo or for the persons ahead of you to make a decision and decline the photo. The process doesn't usually work that swiftly.

My solution on occasion has been to step over the hanging ropes, which sometimes elicits a negative cry from one of the crew standing around with their thumb in their ear.

I said it was an irritation. An irritation is still a relatively minor issue, but one that could easily be corrected by NCL. We don't have this problem with Celebrity.

We still take NCL cruises when the itinerary and price are right.

I agree. One other photographer backup that gripes me is the embarkation pictures. You have 100 people trying to board and they are delayed because the photographers have to get a photo of everyone. Very difficult to cut the queue until you are right there. Two lines NCL, photo-yes and photo-no. We all know NCL won't do that and why.

I agree. One other photographer backup that gripes me is the embarkation pictures. You have 100 people trying to board and they are delayed because the photographers have to get a photo of everyone. Very difficult to cut the queue until you are right there. Two lines NCL, photo-yes and photo-no. We all know NCL won't do that and why.

The photo's they take of everyone is for security! When getting on/off ship your picture shows up on the screen. Thus confirming you are the person using the card.

The photo's they take of everyone is for security! When getting on/off ship your picture shows up on the screen. Thus confirming you are the person using the card.

Sorry, but no.

They take your security photo during the check in process.

The photos being discussed are the ones taken by the ship's photographers as you board the ship, disembark the ship in port, eat dinner... they're everywhere.

These dudes. You can see how hard they work. Guy should try some better deodorant. You can see just how in the way they are.

ship-photogs.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

The embarkation photo is taken on the way to the waiting room, not to board the ship. There is always a small wait to get on the ship. That is unless you are coming late, and if so, you're not that worried about getting on the ship.

The embarkation photo is taken on the way to the waiting room, not to board the ship. There is always a small wait to get on the ship. That is unless you are coming late, and if so, you're not that worried about getting on the ship.

I always walk past the embarkation photographer, no issues and no delays.

NCL photographers are usually in the waiting lounge,,, not in the embarkation queue. 100's of people are not delayed because of the photographers.

Not correct. Security pictures are taken at the check-in counter. These are not the photos being taken when you enter the waiting area.

NCL photographers are usually in the waiting lounge,,, not in the embarkation queue. 100's of people are not delayed because of the photographers.

Yes, they are. Three times on the Epic out of Miami and I got tired of waiting in the embarkation line while photos were taken so I got out of line and walked around everyone. Others did also.

Yes, they are. Three times on the Epic out of Miami and I got tired of waiting in the embarkation line while photos were taken so I got out of line and walked around everyone. Others did also.

It appears that I am not the only NCL patron irritated by the Photographer's blocking the queue.

It appears that I am not the only NCL patron irritated by the Photographer's blocking the queue.

You are not, for sure. Companies here included - and, we speak - specifically, about the NYC's Manhattan Cruise Terminal 88 & 90, as NCL has it setup lately - for the Breakaway sailings.

It's plain annoying and "kettles" in front of us would stop & wait, blocking us in bypassing the photographer's "blockage" - as those in front of us would wait ... first time passengers sailing tend to, sometimes, want to get their pictures taken. Unlike us, we've sailing the BA for a 3rd time and have absolutely no interest in another photoshopped picture of our embarkation with the imprinted date, etc. against the plain background inside the crowded terminal ... we're in the back/AFT section - Special Needs/VIP/Haven check-in area. They have a "funneling" setup and ropes, so even if you nicely declined and say, "thanks, no thanks, etc." you still have to walk directly in front of the photographer to bypass. One way or another, the lines get held up - and, we're there early for checking in & boarding ... there're probably at least 3,000 people behind us and/or en route to the pier.

We have no problems with the security photo taken while doing the check-in at the counter, as the agent used a handheld webcam wired to their laptop PC for registraiton purposes, etc. - and, there are dozens of them doing that at the same time.

There was 2 photographers trying to capture as many as they could for the embarkation photos; and, also asking for one's stateroom # to input manually into their digital camera. These "line blockers" were making it difficult for us, once our check-in & registraitons are completed, to get to the lounge/waiting area, etc. before the boarding calls for the ship are announced.

Perhaps, they should have 2 lanes - one for photos and one for bypass, for everyone else who don't want/care for photos.

That's the way to do it. Don't wait in line to have your picture taken. Just get out of that line and go around it. I do that all the time.

What is this fine print you speak of? Everything I have read has been in the same font and same size. On the internet, the full details of any offer are often listed in detail on a secondary page which is easily accessible by clicking a link commonly titled "details", but the print is no finer and is just as easy to read by anyone who takes the time to find out the details of aid offer. One's laziness in failing to red the details of an offer does not mean that the offer is made in less than good faith or without full disclosure by any means.

In Miami, they are at the top of the escalator, not in the embarkation line.