Chair hogs on Celebrity Summit on Sea Days

Nashna

I almost wish all guests were randomly assigned chairs at certain times each day to relieve the pressure! Maybe the sooner you book, the more desirable time you get, Idk, just an idea :P

OMG with all the complaints about the X website not working correctly for probably over a decade, you want them to add another non-functioning reservation drill down to it? :eek: But you were kidding, right?

its funny how we all look at it.to sit more than a certain time is more or less over staying your welcome.

I think the conversation centers around people who leave "stuff" in chairs and then depart. The ones who are actually sitting and using a chair is fine and for as long as they want (with appropriate food breaks of course so starvation doesn't set in)!!

Look at some of the pictures posted with hundreds of EMPTY chairs that have towels draped on them starting at 6-7 AM and no people for hours............if ever.

Cruise lines have no interest in enforcing chair policies.........no money and only conflicts in that!!!

Thank you to all who put in your "two cents worth" on my original chair hog post. We now have a plan...on sea days we will get ourselves into chairs after breakfast and will vacate our spot when we go for a nice leisurely lunch. Knowing that the chances of grabbing a shady spot in the afternoon are slim, we will just try our luck.

We had a great cruise scheduled on Silly this past March. Instead of cruising, my husband ended up in Intensive Care for five days. Our Bermuda cruise is replacing the one that we missed. We are so happy that he is well again that it truly doesn't matter where we sit as we know we are so fortunate to be able to spend a week at sea.

I totally get the picture, and understanding.

For having a ship with towels at 6:AM tells not that the Staff are not doing their job by having a clean ship when &:AM breakfast bell rings. the Pool deck can be off limits till 10:AM Official opening time, but no one follows rules to start with.

Actually what time does the Pool area open. It sure closes when lights are out and saying 11:PM or so netted

I think the conversation centers around people who leave "stuff" in chairs and then depart. The ones who are actually sitting and using a chair is fine and for as long as they want (with appropriate food breaks of course so starvation doesn't set in)!!

Look at some of the pictures posted with hundreds of EMPTY chairs that have towels draped on them starting at 6-7 AM and no people for hours............if ever.

Cruise lines have no interest in enforcing chair policies.........no money and only conflicts in that!!!

You are welcomed do not worry about who what when why.....

there is plenty of shade all over, and chairs. enjoy your cruise we got nothing better to do but hog the threads Lol

Peace all have a great time

Edited by gopro63

• 1 month later...

Just back from the Summit. The ship was totally full with lots of children. By 730am the solarium chairs were taken. By 800am every pool chair was taken. The chairs were tightly spaced with no room for a table. In fact, there was no place to put a drink or a plate. Large groups were onboard. Chairs were saved with one flip flop or a celebrity magazine from the room. Celebrity did absolutely nothing to stop the chair hogs. We did find spots in the sun on the upper deck. However, my husband has had skin cancer and needs to be out of the sun. I was not impressed with this cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the August 7-14 cruise. I totally concur with what you said. It was so bad that I stood up ONCE to stretch and a man began pulling the chair out from under me. Rudeness was shown that cruise.

Just back from the Summit. The ship was totally full with lots of children. By 730am the solarium chairs were taken. By 800am every pool chair was taken. The chairs were tightly spaced with no room for a table. In fact, there was no place to put a drink or a plate. Large groups were onboard. Chairs were saved with one flip flop or a celebrity magazine from the room. Celebrity did absolutely nothing to stop the chair hogs. We did find spots in the sun on the upper deck. However, my husband has had skin cancer and needs to be out of the sun. I was not impressed with this cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the August 7-14 cruise. I totally concur with what you said. It was so bad that I stood up ONCE to stretch and a man began pulling the chair out from under me. Rudeness was shown that cruise.

For real? That is funny and sad.

I get up everyday around 5:30 AM to prepare for work. There is no way that on my vacation Im going to get up at 5:50 AM for a lounge chair. I have been cruising for years and refuse to get annoyed with the chair hording situation. My wife and I usually work around the issue and enjoy ourselves. There are strategies. Besides, why would I want to lay or sit in the sun all day. We find a nice quiet spot on deck and relax as a vacation it should be.

I spring for my own personal outdoor chairs. They are on our balcony!

So did I. However, I also believe that part of the cruise experience is sitting on a comfy lounge chair, reading a book or people watching. We are early risers, so after Day 1, we were in the Solariam by 7:00am, placed our articles on the chairs, went to breakfast and were back before 8:00am where we would sit until lunch around 1:00pm. Since so many people were roaming the decks looking for chairs, we would wait until someone older came by to offer them our seats. I really think we could have charged folks! I absolutely hate to play the towel game. But, with so many people onboard, it was play the game or hope your lottery number came in. There was even one enterprising group that had laminated cards printed with the group name and their favorite drinks which they clipped onto the tops of their chairs.

I think a lot of people's only purpose in life is to find a spot in the middle of somewhere and stand in it. Anyone who's ever lived in a northern state has seen the person to grabs a cart in Walmart and walks 1 step past the last set of doors and stops right in the middle to put their coat, purse and everything else in their cart instead of pulling off to the side and letting others around them.

Walking down a narrow sidewalk or hallway? Their group can't walk in a single file line to allow others room to get past them. You meet up with a group of friends or family? Right in the middle is the best place to have your reunion. Eating in a sit down restaurant with a line of waiting customers out the door? You mean 2+ hours occupying a table is too much? Getting ready to board an elevator or bus? Stand immediately in front of the door so that those already on can't get out.

Just got back this month from a 19 day, 6000 mile road trip. Love traveling, hate people.

We experienced a problem with chair hogs a few years ago in Thailand. At around 7.00am the towels would appear and the "hogs" would head off into breakfast and then on the daily excursions. At around 9.00 am finding all the best chairs taken we would scoop up all the towels and return them to the cabana. At this hotel one signs out towels and gets them checked off on return. Those towels not checked in get charged for. The towel hogging stopped within two days. Towels were very expensive when charged for through the room accounts. How did we return the towels just dumped them all in the used towel bin. The guys issuing the towels knew what was going on and could see the funny side of what we were doing. If "personally charged for" towels were used on cruise ships the practice could be quickly curtailed. That said after 6 cruises on X we have never experienced the issue to any great extent

Edited by Beanb41

We get there early and ALWAYS leave someone with the chairs. If our kids don't follow our rules we give up their chairs. At times we have switched on people who leave their chairs unattended for extended periods of time and we tip the pool butlers as well.

Can we do shaming of chair hogs? Like people do with pets. Clip a big sign on the chair that says: I AM A BIG FAT CHAIR HOG AND MY FEET STINK TOO! I'm liking this plan...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We call that...BULLYING. Look up the definition.

I think this website needs a "like" button so that you can like a comment or dislike a comment instead of writing a comment. Some comments are just plain bullying. See above highlighted quote.

If I have a chair (notice I didn't reserve) and I go into the pool or watch an activity at the pool or get a hamburger, god help anyone who touches my stuff whether it be a pool "butler" or person. I am not a "I AM A BIG FAT CHAIR HOG AND MY FEET STINK TOO!", but I will make myself comfortable lying on top of the person that touched my stuff. If it was for chair hog threads this board would be boring.

I just disembarked the Summit yesterday. When I started walking the pool area mid morning on the first sea day, I thought all the chairs had been reserved even though empty. Every one had a towel folded and draped over the chair's top.

I asked the pool butler and he said the draped towels were placed by them for guests and were not reserved. So about three fourths of the chairs were available but had towels on them. I learned something that morning.

Only the chairs where the towels were moved to the bottom portion or had other items were reserved.

I usually wait until someone is a little tipsy and push them off.

:D

(And yes I am kidding!)

I find someone very tipsy and send them a drink called the Jelly Bean. It's so sweet after two free ones, they usually get up to heave and don't come back because they don't feel like drinking any more. :D

• 3 weeks later...