Chair hogs on Celebrity Summit on Sea Days

Nashna

Booking the Summit to Bermuda in May. Aside from the pool area, are there other areas to sit outside on lounge chairs that do not involve playing the chair saving game? Trying to get away from the stress; don't need to be near the pool / bar to relax. Thanks.

Decks 11 aft between the AQ1 cabins and the Qsine restaurant & deck 12

Booking the Summit to Bermuda in May. Aside from the pool area, are there other areas to sit outside on lounge chairs that do not involve playing the chair saving game? Trying to get away from the stress; don't need to be near the pool / bar to relax. Thanks.

plenty away from the pool. We were there in april and on sea days, always no matter what time, found a chair. Although to be fair, we do prefer the shade but when we wanted the sun, it was no problem.

Celebrity was putting out cards in May, reminding pax of no saving seats, and that their items could be removed. I'm not sure how well it was enforced, but at least they were making an effort!

Love it! Hope they all do this but in the meantime... if a towel has been w/o an owner for over an hour, I just take the chair (assuming there are no others) what is the towel owner suppose to do? Throw a tantrum? I mean... sheesh

I'm going to throw out the middle ground that I see often and has not been addressed by this thread. There are some of us who actually go to the pool to swim and we do need a place to leave our towels and gear while we are in the pool.

What do you want us to do, Just leave it on the deck for someone to trip over? I wear glasses and I definitely need somewhere safe to leave them since there aren't too many tables. There is not anyplace safe to leave gear if you are in the pool other than the chairs.

So yes, my butt might not be in the chair, but I'm at the pool. I don't consider that being a chair hog, just using the pool. So don't forget, a chair with gear on it doesn't always mean the person has left.

Particularly in the Caribbean, you will find a lot of people sitting on the edge of the pool talking. Don't forget to factor those people in before going off on the chair hogs.

Although I love the pool and sitting outside (my husband has to have shade) we usually only do it late afternoon. First off there are the people that save chairs in the sun and the shade for when they get overheated. Secondly, the chairs are on top of each other and to sit in them you literally have to crawl on it to the top. No thank you, I will enjoy the peace in Cafe Al Bacio or my balcony.

On our Aug 28 cruise on the Summit, the pool and pool deck were always overcrowded on sea days, and each hot tub was occupied by about ten children. After the first sea day, we spent our time on our balcony or outside on deck 4 where there were several pairs of lounge chairs to sit on and enjoy the peace and quiet while we read.

I just disembarked the Summit yesterday. When I started walking the pool area mid morning on the first sea day, I thought all the chairs had been reserved even though empty. Every one had a towel folded and draped over the chair's top.

I asked the pool butler and he said the draped towels were placed by them for guests and were not reserved. So about three fourths of the chairs were available but had towels on them. I learned something that morning.

Only the chairs where the towels were moved to the bottom portion or had other items were reserved.

I discovered the same thing.

My mom took the family on a cruise in August, which was my first time on Celebrity. In checking CC for Summit topics, I noticed a lot of posts about chair hogs. I met my mom on deck on one of the sea days and made a comment about how all the chairs were taken. They all had towels neatly folded on the backs of the chairs. She said that the deck crew come out every morning and do that for the benefit of the passengers.

It's a really nice little perk, but I wondered how much that contributed to people thinking that all the chairs were already taken.:rolleyes:

Pool chair manners. I know we all dislike the fact that people will save pool chairs. How is this monitored by the crew on Summit? We are sailing to Bermuda on the 7th of August . We love to sit in a shaded spot by the pool. What are the chances that we could find such a spot at 11:00am on a sea day? Should we ask a crew member to find us a seat? If we find a towel on a chair, should we automatically consider it "taken" or claim the spot? What about the 1/2 of a flip flop on a chair and it's mate on another? It is so frustrating to know that if everyone just waited to claim a chair when they actually needed to use it and vacated their chair when they were off to lunch or to catch an event, then everyone would be able to be accommodated. Exactly, how much cooperation can we expect from Celebrity to control the chair hogs?

They don't really care.

I discovered the same thing.

My mom took the family on a cruise in August, which was my first time on Celebrity. In checking CC for Summit topics, I noticed a lot of posts about chair hogs. I met my mom on deck on one of the sea days and made a comment about how all the chairs were taken. They all had towels neatly folded on the backs of the chairs. She said that the deck crew come out every morning and do that for the benefit of the passengers.

It's a really nice little perk, but I wondered how much that contributed to people thinking that all the chairs were already taken.:rolleyes:

That's good to know.. its a shame that its been so misunderstood by soo many folks. Now.. about those kids in Adult only areas.. :confused::mad:

Love it! Hope they all do this but in the meantime... if a towel has been w/o an owner for over an hour, I just take the chair (assuming there are no others) what is the towel owner suppose to do? Throw a tantrum? I mean... sheesh

My DH and I were on a cruise on another carrier last month where the chair hogs make it an art form, Will not mention the cruise line, but it is not one of the U.S. majors (although most of their ships are based in foreign ports).

So, after lunch we went to look for a couple of vacant loungers in the shade. We see two together and ask the neighbors if they are occupied. They say "no one has been in them for a couple of hours". We take the towels off and place them next to the loungers (the towels must go back to the cabin, otherwise people will be charged.) and begin to rest and relax.

Another half hour later a woman and her daughter show up and says "those are our chairs". I respond, "You haven't been here for over an hour, they are ours now." She picks up her towels and whacks me in the head and knocks my sunglasses off. I grab the towel she hit me with, so as not to get hit again, and advise her that if she doesn't leave, my husband will get security involved and she and her daughter risk being removed from the ship at the next port. She thought better of that and left.

I know your questions was rhetorical, but yes, sometimes they do throw a tantrum!! :cool:

My DH and I were on a cruise on another carrier last month where the chair hogs make it an art form, Will not mention the cruise line, but it is not one of the U.S. majors (although most of their ships are based in foreign ports).

So, after lunch we went to look for a couple of vacant loungers in the shade. We see two together and ask the neighbors if they are occupied. They say "no one has been in them for a couple of hours". We take the towels off and place them next to the loungers (the towels must go back to the cabin, otherwise people will be charged.) and begin to rest and relax.

Another half hour later a woman and her daughter show up and says "those are our chairs". I respond, "You haven't been here for over an hour, they are ours now." She picks up her towels and whacks me in the head and knocks my sunglasses off. I grab the towel she hit me with, so as not to get hit again, and advise her that if she doesn't leave, my husband will get security involved and she and her daughter risk being removed from the ship at the next port. She thought better of that and left.

I know your questions was rhetorical, but yes, sometimes they do throw a tantrum!! :cool:

Some bimbo hit you in the head with a towel and you didn't report it? No telling what she you do if it was something more important to her.

Several previous posters mentioned the folded towel neatly placed at the top of the chair being open. We did see the towels early in the morning. It was obvious to all that those chairs were available to anyone. On our sailing, those chairs were all gone by 8am.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Several previous posters mentioned the folded towel neatly placed at the top of the chair being open. We did see the towels early in the morning. It was obvious to all that those chairs were available to anyone. On our sailing, those chairs were all gone by 8am.

Was anyone actually sitting in them? If not, they were available in spite of what the owners of the stuff on the chairs might have thought.

DON

An assault not reported? How would management know a problem exists? Time to demand a Captain's Mast.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

"In naval tradition, a mast is a non-judicial punishment ("NJP") disciplinary hearing under which a commanding officer studies and disposes of cases involving those in his command."

We were on a cruise ship (passenger), not a military ship (officers and enlisted men and women).

Lucky is wasn't me! That pax would have been fish chum!

This is why if I can't have a balcony cabin I don't go....I don't like all the noise and confusion at the pool and I can sit on my balcony in sun or shade for as long as I like and if I get up to go the head no one will touch my stuff!! I do like the cards with a time noticed and a time for removal stated plainly. A fair way of handling situation without passengers getting involved. I have heard vicious verbal assaults over a lounge chair and it's very disturbing.

• 2 months later...
When we were on the Summit 2 weeks ago, they were putting out cards but you still couldn't find 2 together in the shade. We ended up taking towels back to our shady aft balcony and enjoying the day there. This was our 10th cruise and it's the first one that we never spent any time at the pool because of a lack of seats. The Solarium wasn't any better.

I thought there were significantly fewer chairs in the shade on the Summit compared with the Solstice class ships that we've sailed on before.

DH and I are going to be on the Summit May 2017, and what do you know - by chance I was able to book one of the larger aft Sky suites with a larger than average balcony. So unless we're actually using one of the pools/hot tubs, I guess our best bet is to enjoy our own extra spacious balcony for reading, reclining and relaxing. Cheers!

Lorie

Lucky is wasn't me! That pax would have been fish chum!

OMG [emoji32]

Threatening violence is the answer ?

Wait a minute - are you related to the poster who threatened to shoot a non tipper and also arranged a vote to eject another non-tipper from the Dining Table ?

[emoji848]

Edited by Ladesign

I'm going to throw out the middle ground that I see often and has not been addressed by this thread. There are some of us who actually go to the pool to swim and we do need a place to leave our towels and gear while we are in the pool.

What do you want us to do, Just leave it on the deck for someone to trip over? I wear glasses and I definitely need somewhere safe to leave them since there aren't too many tables. There is not anyplace safe to leave gear if you are in the pool other than the chairs.

So yes, my butt might not be in the chair, but I'm at the pool. I don't consider that being a chair hog, just using the pool. So don't forget, a chair with gear on it doesn't always mean the person has left.

Particularly in the Caribbean, you will find a lot of people sitting on the edge of the pool talking. Don't forget to factor those people in before going off on the chair hogs.

we need a like button [emoji41]

I have unfortunately seen the chair hogs on our cruises. Very difficult to deal with them as a fellow passenger.

I just do not feel like dealing with the negativity of arguing with someone over a chair, and as a previous poster mentioned - physical confrontation is just not an acceptable way of dealing with this situation.

I see no simple solution to this. I can only say that I think most people would not act as rudely as the chair hogs, and the people that are doing so are a definite minority.

Princess needs to deal with this. I like the idea of a time card placed on the chair reserving it for 30 minutes or so. This would have to be enforced by the Princess staff.