Chair hogs on Celebrity Summit on Sea Days

Nashna

Rude behaviour can be found everywhere. We were at an upscale resort in Puerto Vallarta this March. While I was dozing in my lounge chair, a woman came along and took all my belongings off the table and put them in my chair, then proceeded to take the table because *she* wanted it. I also observed this woman grab an extra chair pad for when hers got wet after swimming. Unbelievable behaviour.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

We were on the 6/19 sailing of the Summit to Bermuda. Good luck trying to find a chair in the Solarium at any time of the day. People must be there in the middle of the night reserving the chairs. And yes, there are lots of little cards talking about no reserving of chairs and people just pick them up and throw them on the floor or put them in a pile somewhere. Everyone ignored them. We never saw any policing of the empty chairs. But equally important is there simply are not enough chairs in the Solarium. There is room for plenty more chairs. In fact, there were more chairs when they had the old wooden chairs but there simply are not enough of the new chairs. There is lots of empty space to put more chairs.
What I saw on the Eclipse was that the same people had chairs right next to the pool and then saved chairs on the outer edges of the Solarium by the windows. They did that at the outside pool as well; sat in chairs in the sun and saved chairs in the shade.

What I saw on the Eclipse was that the same people had chairs right next to the pool and then saved chairs on the outer edges of the Solarium by the windows. They did that at the outside pool as well; sat in chairs in the sun and saved chairs in the shade.

Saw the same thing on our 3 April Eclipse Cruise except it was happing on the deck above the pool. One of the hogs even yelled out from the shade that's my chair. The guy removing her towels said not unless your butt checks can be in two different chairs at the same time. Nothing more was said at least out loud. Great entertainment.

Edited by davekathy

The guy removing her towels said not unless your butt checks can be in two different chairs at the same time. .

There have been many occasions when I have seen passengers who could fit that description very well and in fact have butt cheeks big enough for two chairs.

We live within 10 minute walk to the beach and get plenty of sun here at home so we are not competitors for deck chairs on a cruise. However we watch the incredible activity to save these chairs on the ships and have witnessed the creeps going out at 6-7 AM to put towels, magazines and whatever to "save" these chairs...........and then not show up again for hours if ever again.

What can the cruise line do since offending people (even chair creeps) is something they want to avoid?

Like it or not, complain or not, cruise lines need to RENT DECK CHAIRS by a specific I.D. number and by the hour. Whine all you want about how much you paid for the cruise, but until something drastic is done nothing will change with people who either have no manners or just plain leave them at home.

We have witnessed similar activities in the shows where people are "saving" numerous seats........often for people who never show up. Often wondered if these are the same people who get off by saving a deck chair for themselves all day because as we all know: THEY paid for this cruise and THEY want THEIR chair where THEY want it to be located......and maybe even two or three since the sun and ship does move during the day.

Until we find an irresistible cruise at the right price, I think we will find land trips to see our country rather than witness the greediness and self serving attitudes that are easy to see on a lot of cruise lines with few exceptions and that just take away that pleasant feeling that cruising can provide.

so what would happen if some mischievously demented person (like me) went around the pool about 9am collecting just towels to be deposited in the towel hamper and left without taking a chair for themselves? Who would they be able to blame? Then come back a little later and observe from the upper deck the confrontations between the hoggers and the unbeknownst chair residents. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

What would be really amazing is if people would grow up and act like mature adults. Rules exist to prevent chaos but if they're not enforced it doesn't work. That said, to prevent chairs being saved in two locations, they could hand out a tag that has to be on a chair in order to sit in it and each person has to actually check out their own tag, so one tag per person and no one person could check out more than their own. That would prevent one person saving multiple chairs as if there is no tag, it's fair game. It's really ridiculous that we have to come up with ways to use a chair that should be available. If 7 people want to sit together they need to get their butts outside at the same time and sit down. Otherwise, tough.

DH and I have witnessed people move stuff, argue over a seat and save seats in both the shade and the sun. We sit in the shade and read most of the time we're on deck and have witnessed many chairs empty for long periods of time. On RCI, we've seen "friends" come over and remove the stickers that are placed by deck crew to time people's absence. We also saw a man challenge another one over a chair that they got to at the same time. What was horrible, was the guy who "won" never sat in it. He put his towel on it, swam for about 1/2 hour, got out, picked up the towel, dried off and left. What a self-serving idiot.

Edited by BND

First of all, i am not a fan of getting there early and putting things on the chairs to reserve them. BUT, we had a group of 11 and made it a point to get to the pool early and get our spots. If you wait too long, it will fill up.

First of all, i am not a fan of getting there early and putting things on the chairs to reserve them. BUT, we had a group of 11 and made it a point to get to the pool early and get our spots. If you wait too long, it will fill up.

Were all 11 of you there to actually sit in seats or did you just "save"11 seats?

Saw the same thing on our 3 April Eclipse Cruise except it was happing on the deck above the pool. One of the hogs even yelled out from the shade that's my chair. The guy removing her towels said not unless your butt checks can be in two different chairs at the same time. Nothing more was said at least out loud. Great entertainment.

There have been many occasions when I have seen passengers who could fit that description very well and in fact have butt cheeks big enough for two chairs.

Crap, just noticed I spelled "butt cheeks" incorrectly!

so what would happen if some mischievously demented person (like me) went around the pool about 9am collecting just towels to be deposited in the towel hamper and left without taking a chair for themselves? Who would they be able to blame? Then come back a little later and observe from the upper deck the confrontations between the hoggers and the unbeknownst chair residents. :D

I do that all the time. If they leave stuff of value on the chairs, I just turn them into the pool stewards and tell them that I found them unwatched and they should be turned into the lost and found department before someone steal them. I am often tempted to take any books that they leave and put them in the book exchange section of the library. However that might be interpreted as stealing instead of simply moving stuff so I do not do it.

DON

This is about 7:30 AM on Summit:

DSCF6555.jpg

It seemed that the seats in the sun were the first to be reserved.

Just got off the Summit.

Yep. You have absolutely no chance of getting a chair at 11:00 AM.

They will have towels, books, bags, etc.

Just got off the Summit.

Yep. You have absolutely no chance of getting a chair at 11:00 AM.

They will have towels, books, bags, etc.

looks like plenty of empty seats behind, and where the book I see clips & towels Lol.

We have been on the Equinox and have another cruise in November. My husband and I like to sit in the shade. He because he has had skin cancer. We went out about 2 pm and finally found two seats together. I crawled in it and then him. No room to put anything and you are elbow to elbow with the next person. Yes, several people had two chairs - one in sun and one in the shade and they did not try to hide that fact. I would rather sit on my nice, quiet balcony reading or go to Cafe Al Bacio for a tea than to be crammed in a lounge chair where I have no room and cannot relax. Just so you know this happens all over and not just on ships. We have a time share in st. Maarten and there is this wicked woman who thinks that one spot is exclusively hers, no matter what time she comes down!! She has had run ins with several people (me included). I go down at 8 am and SIT in my chair with my breakfast. I save one chair for my husband who comes down soon after. We get up to go swim, go potty, go GET lunch and bring it back. I watch in amazement as chairs are vacant for hours. You are not ever going to stop the rude people from doing it! Sorry for rambling, but it irritates me when people are inconsiderate.

Pool chair manners. I know we all dislike the fact that people will save pool chairs. How is this monitored by the crew on Summit? We are sailing to Bermuda on the 7th of August . We love to sit in a shaded spot by the pool. What are the chances that we could find such a spot at 11:00am on a sea day? Should we ask a crew member to find us a seat? If we find a towel on a chair, should we automatically consider it "taken" or claim the spot? What about the 1/2 of a flip flop on a chair and it's mate on another? It is so frustrating to know that if everyone just waited to claim a chair when they actually needed to use it and vacated their chair when they were off to lunch or to catch an event, then everyone would be able to be accommodated. Exactly, how much cooperation can we expect from Celebrity to control the chair hogs?

The posters who have had no problem finding chairs at any time definitely cruised while schools were in session. Cruises out of NY/NJ in the summer are filled as well as the pool chairs, esp on sea days! We were on Celebrity last summer and never saw staff do anything about the chairhogs. It is unfortunate, but you will have to get there by 8 a.m. to claim chairs. I almost wish all guests were randomly assigned chairs at certain times each day to relieve the pressure! Maybe the sooner you book, the more desirable time you get, Idk, just an idea :P

So then would Celebrity (or other cruise lines) offer a discount for the late bookers who don't get desirable chair times?

My #1 favorite thing to do on sea days is sit by the pool and read a book. All. D**n. Day. I have no problem getting out by the pool early in the morning to place my butt in a chair. I really don't care if anyone thinks I'm a chair hog. I paid for one of those chairs, and I'm going to get my use out of it.

So then would Celebrity (or other cruise lines) offer a discount for the late bookers who don't get desirable chair times?

My #1 favorite thing to do on sea days is sit by the pool and read a book. All. D**n. Day. I have no problem getting out by the pool early in the morning to place my butt in a chair. I really don't care if anyone thinks I'm a chair hog. I paid for one of those chairs, and I'm going to get my use out of it.

The bitch some Cruisers have isn't about someone sitting in a lounger all day reading, napping or whatever by the pool or other location and enjoying their sea day in the sun. It's about chair hogs that place a towel or other personal items on a lounger early in the morning and leave for hours at end. So what your doing is not considered being a chair hog.

Edited by davekathy

on the June 5th summit. problem more with the parents of the children we were very lucky as very few children. parents spoon feeding the children in the hot tubs, children with diapers in hot tub. children snorkeling in the adult only pool kids treating the hottubs as a splash pool. of course the chair hogs, we came out at 7:40ish got our chairs I came back within about 20 minutes sign on our chairs about limit for time to be gone I removed then signs & sat. 2 chairs next to us already had "stuff" on them almost 2 hours later still no one had arrived---- I asked pool attendant to remove items explaining length of time etc-went to check with his supervisor came back quickly & removed the items. About 45 minutes passed here they came looking around -- friend advised pool attendant. I was very happy the attendant removed the items plus liked the signage. gave feedback to Celebrity about children--special insert to Celebrity News about Hottubs & children plus Chair hogs.

We really loved the Bermuda cruise but was happy did not go later in June as I am sure the issues with children are much more frequent.

I thought that was the problem as well, until I read the above post complaining about not being able to get a chair unless you get out there at 8 am, and the suggestion that everyone should be assigned a time they get to use a chair, to relieve the "pressure" since there are not enough chairs for everyone.

Then it seems like others are begrudging those of us who get out by the pool early enough to get a seat by the pool and sit there all day.

I thought that was the problem as well, until I read the above post complaining about not being able to get a chair unless you get out there at 8 am, and the suggestion that everyone should be assigned a time they get to use a chair, to relieve the "pressure" since there are not enough chairs for everyone.

Then it seems like others are begrudging those of us who get out by the pool early enough to get a seat by the pool and sit there all day.

Once my fat ass is in a lounger I sit in it all day enjoying the sun, drinks and fun. No problem and I'm not a chair hog. Again chair hogs are those that place their towels and other junk on a lounger (s) early in the AM and leave to do whatever and return hours later.

Edited by davekathy